IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

I'm glad to see that a good portion of the community can still find video game stuff for a good price at their local thrift stores. The thrift market where I live dried up about 6-7 years ago. We still have the stores, but video game are far and few between. If you find a game at these stores the cheapest they go for is $5.00 most the time $8-10. A system will cost anywhere from $15-$30. Heck in the late 90's I was able to get games for quarter a piece! Most Genesis games just are not worth $5-10 to me. Most of them tend to be sports title anyway. I remember when I first realized that the video game thrift market (around me anyways) was dead. I went in one week found some atari carts for a $1 each. Two weeks later the whole chain (Goodwill) started pricing carts $5.00 each! We are talking Combat and Pac-Man carts here, for $5! Needless to say I don't shop the thrift stores anymore.

Sorry, had to blow off some steam. I just came back from a Goodwill (something I haven't done for quite some time) They had Genesis marked $20.00 (system only) and that was it for video game stuff.

Sorry, had to blow off some steam. I just came back from a Goodwill (something I haven't done for quite some time) They had Genesis marked $20.00 (system only) and that was it for video game stuff.

Actually Genny's get marked at $15 at my Goodwills, too. Individual game pricing seems really schizophrenic, though. I got a bunch of box-and-book N64 games for $3/ea the other day, but have seen them marked at $10 at the same store.

I picked up some bargains at my local video games store, they are the kind of store who if they dont know what the game is, it's worthless.

So they are trying to sell Atari 2600 Mario Bros for £60 cart only :o

But i picked up the following for 20p (Buy one get one free!!! So 10p each! Cart only though)

NES:

GOAL!

10-Yard Fight

Tennis

Turbo Racing

Blades of Steel

California Games (Manual too)

Super Mario bros/Duck Hunt

Wild Gunman

(My friend who got their first got Castlevania, Snakes Revenge and Metroid!!! :o)

SNES:

Super SFII (NTSC)

Super Gameboy

Lemmings

and a bunch more commons. I also got Sonic Spinball for £1, with a free Flashback ( both in good nick) and Shadow Dancer (Shinobi 2) also for a pound.

My local SA is hit and miss with prices.

Last week i picked up a Gameboy (Brick) with Tetris II for $2.50

California Games (NES) $2

GBA SP case with a Shark's Tale cart in it for $.50

Today I went in and there was a box with 4 ROUGH NES's, 2 OK condition Gennys and some various wires and controllers (enough for about two complete systems), and a few common NES games. Price on the box $50. I passed it up after mentioning to the clerk how bad of condition it was all in. If it were all in decent condition I probably would have gotten it, but in the condition they were in I'm willing to bet that the NES's ,at least, were DOA. To my surprise, the box was gone when I checked back in later.

Actually Genny's get marked at $15 at my Goodwills, too. Individual game pricing seems really schizophrenic, though. I got a bunch of box-and-book N64 games for $3/ea the other day, but have seen them marked at $10 at the same store.

The Goodwill here in Portland seems to be run by people who do the pricing for the flea markets....."oh, yeah, that's a PS2 game, they're very popular, so $15...." and I'm like Yeah, but the game is Oni, and it goes for $2.99 at Gamestop.....

Then you come in the next week, and its still there, of course, and then the week after its gone, and you're thinking, wait, did some idiot buy the thing???????

Thrifting has definitely ruined me for prices. I see Genny games marked over $3 and pass on 'em. $20 is too much to pay for a console unless it's got some damned good stuff with it (games, controllers, whatever), controllers by themselves had better be less than $5 or I don't pick 'em up, etc.

Edited by MFoolsRun

The Goodwill here in Portland seems to be run by people who do the pricing for the flea markets....."oh, yeah, that's a PS2 game, they're very popular, so $15...." and I'm like Yeah, but the game is Oni, and it goes for $2.99 at Gamestop.....

Then you come in the next week, and its still there, of course, and then the week after its gone, and you're thinking, wait, did some idiot buy the thing???????

What gets me ticked off the most is when I remember that Goodwill gets their stuff for free! I understand people (companies) need to make a profit, but come on. They have zero product overhead, yet some idiot will come in and actually buy this crap at these high prices? :x

(boy, I'm in rare form today) :roll:

Sorry guys, I'll be quiet now.

A new thrift store opened up around here....FINALLY!!! Anyways, So far:

NES games for 1.50:

Mega Man 2

Mega Man 4

Mega Man 5

Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers

Ice Climber

Marble Madness

NES Play Action Football

Bubble Bobble

N64 Games for 3.00:

Super Mario 64

WCW/nWo Revenge

Pokemon Snap

Tons of LP's 1.00 each

Intellivision I Unit: 3.00

Boxed Colecovision: 10.00

I was recently at a local music store that carries used CD's, DVD's and games. I picked up a used PS2 Guitar Hero Encore: Rock The 80s for $8.99 but it was missing the instructions. So, I turned to ebay and found the instructions AND the poster it originally came with for $3.75 shipped, what a deal! LINK

I also picked up a PS2 game the same day that I didn't want for my collection, Sniper Elite at $6.99. Flipped it on epay for $34, the buy it now lasted about an hour and twenty minutes! LINK

The store doesn't buy or sell any older video game items but they still have some good deals sometimes....I remember I picked up the Gamecube Zelda 4-in-1 game for $9.99 about a year ago.

If anyone here at AA is ever in Wisconsin for whatever reason and is interested, our state is Notorious for flee markets.

In Milwaukee: Rummage O Rama has 450-750 vendors

In Mukwonago: Maxwell street days has always a constant 650 vendors

In Appleton: Fox Valley Fair has a decent 200 vendors

here are some links to lists of other flee markets in Wisconsin

http://collectors.org/FM/US_WI.asp

this one gives u a list for every state.....

http://www.fleamarketguide.com/

Finally bought something gaming related:

ps1 wu tang clan shlon style 10.00 complete, Have not seen one in stores in forever

:?: OMG DUSK, Crap lol where did u score that? I'm huge fan of the Wu, I remember when it was released and never had the chance to buy it and afterwards just vanished at all ends of the Earth. :(

Another few pickups today, not such a bad haul PS1 wise, but not fantastic. My local store told me they are getting rid of all there retro stuff so it looks like charity shops and carboots are my only option now. (Oxfam wanted £10+ for their SMS and SNES games! Fine they are boxed, but jeeese...)

Bloody Roar 2

Tenchu

Silent Bomber

Dune

Soul Blade (Platinum :( )

Breath of Fire IV

Resident Evil Gun Survivor

Croc: Legend of the Gobbos

Duke Nukem

Duke Nukem Time to Kill

Pong

The guy wanted something crazy, i think it was £60 to start with, but he was in a good mood as he just had a deliver of Wii's sell so i haggled him down to £21 for the lot and a few 2600/NES games thrown in. (Realsports Tennis silver lable being the only one of any kind of note)

I also got Lost Kingdom and Phantasy Star 1, 2 and 3 for Gamecube but i paid a pretty hefty price for those :s

Finally bought something gaming related:

ps1 wu tang clan shlon style 10.00 complete, Have not seen one in stores in forever

:?: OMG DUSK, Crap lol where did u score that? I'm huge fan of the Wu, I remember when it was released and never had the chance to buy it and afterwards just vanished at all ends of the Earth. :(

I got it from the Brooklyn Zoo! :P

Edited by Dusk2600

If anyone here at AA is ever in Wisconsin for whatever reason and is interested, our state is Notorious for flee markets.

In Milwaukee: Rummage O Rama has 450-750 vendors

In Mukwonago: Maxwell street days has always a constant 650 vendors

In Appleton: Fox Valley Fair has a decent 200 vendors

here are some links to lists of other flee markets in Wisconsin

http://collectors.org/FM/US_WI.asp

this one gives u a list for every state.....

http://www.fleamarketguide.com/

Hm, rummage o rama.... very interesting.

Only things I've found in two weeks was this weird Playstation "Fighter's Choice" arcade stick for $5.99. I don't even know why I bought it, maybe I can hack it into a CV controller or something!

That's not the actual stick, just a pic I found on ebay, mines in better shape.

post-12780-1204422120_thumb.jpg

Only things I've found in two weeks was this weird Playstation "Fighter's Choice" arcade stick for $5.99. I don't even know why I bought it, maybe I can hack it into a CV controller or something!

That's not the actual stick, just a pic I found on ebay, mines in better shape.

Heh, I've got one of these, I had to 'rebuild' it by installing the guts of a Sony digital stick, the encoding chip in it apparently died on me.

It's a good stick otherwise, $6 is a really good price for it. It made playing the fighting games and classic games packages that much more playable to me.

I snagged a copy of Starflight for Genesis yesterday for $2. Box and book, but no map. Apparently it's a pretty uncommon game, but a lot of its value comes from the map which my copy doesn't have.

Oh'well, maybe the game's good, too!

Yeah that seems to happen a lot with games that came with maps. Alundra for PS1 springs to mind as a good example, it's value increases drasticly if it has the manual and both the hint book and the map. I've had to have 3 copies myself (On two previous ocasions the game has been stolen from me :\) and each time it becomes harder to find one with all the bits for an acceptable price. The third time i have to give up and take one without the hint book.