IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Nice Craigslist score today. Set out to get my first Atari computer system with a handfull of games and ended up with all this.

First I traded a very nice copy of PS1 Final Fantasy VII (black label) for this.

Atari XEGS system, gun and 10 games:

Ms Pac-man

Centepede

Joust

Blue Max

Bug Hunt

Barnyard Blaster

Flight Simulator II

Fight Night

Hardball

One on One Basketball

The whole system is pretty yellow and kinda grubby, but that's to be expected.

When we were discussing where to meet, he asked if I would be interested in some loose Vectrex games he had. Uhm, sure, why not!

Picked up these 15 games, cart only - no overlays icon_sad.gif :

Armor Attack

Starhawk

Cosmic Chasm

Space Wars

Ripoff

Star Trek

Bedlam

Blitz

Clean Sweep

Scramble

Berzerk

Hyperchase

Fortress of Narzod

Spike

Polar Rescue

We hadn't discussed prices, so I asked him how much for the whole lot.

Got them all for $35 icon_smile.gif

post-12780-129790533447_thumb.jpg

post-12780-129790534084_thumb.jpg

We had a small birthday party for my dad over at a friends of the family's house Yesterday.

While I was there, the husband wanted me to look at his Portable Media Player. To see whats wrong with it and fix it if I could. (I took it home and it's fixed now.)

While I was looking over the player for the first time. I noticed his "Doom" and "Return to Castle Wolfenstein" box and packaging. (I've seen them before there at the house.) I went to pick up I think the Wolenstein box. And he asked me if I wanted both Wolfenstein and Doom. I asked him if he was sure, and he said I could have them.

So I got "Doom Collector's Edition" and "Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Game of the Year Edition" for free!

Now I can play Doom for the first time without it being a demo.

Edited by nightwheel

Finds_021611.JPG

Hybrid Heaven (N64) 6.99 One of the few RPGs on the N64

Jim Power The Lost Dimension in 3D (SNES) 3.99 Pirported to be one of the hardest games ever made

Tommy Lasorda Baseball (GEN) 0.99 Missing the manual but the box is nearly mint

"Akuma" Street Fighter Anniversary controller NIB (Xbox) 7.99 Find of the day, and will go great with the emulators on my modded Xbox

Chris

Finds_021811.jpg

Lord of the Sword (SMS) CIB $2

Rastan (SMS) no manual $2

Rampage (SMS) no manual and in rough shape $0.50

Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse (GG)with clamshell $2

Chuck Rock (GG) with clamshell $2

Bushido Blade 2 (PSX) CIB $3

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain (PSX) CIB $5

Mega Man 8 Anniversary Edition (PSX) CIB $6

Pretty good week for me between this haul and the last. Nothing super-rare or anything, but some neat finds. I don't often find SMS games in the wild, and when I do they're usually sports games. I've been looking for a CIB Blood Omen to replace my loose copy, I've never played Mega Man 8 but have always wanted to, and I liked the first Bushido Blade so I am looking forward to trying this one out. I hav the Game Gear because of the shitty screen, but at some point I am going to build a consolized GG, so I continue to buy the games when I see them.

Chris

This thread confirms, on a daily basis, that the thrift stores in my area just plain suck.

I don't have much luck at thrift stores anymore either, at least not around here. I find almost all of my stuff at a local chain of music/movie stores. They also buy and sell video games, and will buy games from any system going all the way back. They don't price anything "retro" past about $10, so I have found a lot of great deals on rares or sought-after titles. We only got a branch of the store here in my town because our Tower Records went out of business (as they all did) and the local chain bought the store along with all of the fixtures and moved right in. Along with the one where I live there are several stores in Sacramento, which is only about 20 minutes down the freeway from me. I love the place, because they always have retro games to look through, so when I go in there the only question will be whether or not anything new got traded in. The only problem is that every retro collector in the Sacramento area knows that these stores are the best place to find retro games, so they get picked clean regularly. I think the one here in town is out of the way enough that I don't have much competition (I live in a relatively small college town). That and the fact that I stop in about 3 times per week helps to ensure that I don't miss much of what comes through there.

Chris

This thread confirms, on a daily basis, that the thrift stores in my area just plain suck.

I agree, I can't say I've ever found ANYTHING in my thrift stores. No consoles, games, not even controllers :sad:

I think there is also a lot of luck involved. More often then not I see absolutely nothing worth buying video game wise at thrift store but occasionally I'll see some real gems. I found my Virtual Boy at a thrift store as well as my Sega Saturn. Those have been the only major finds I've ever bought or seen in years. But in the past I've seen things for sale that I really kick myself now for not buying at the time. A couple of years ago I saw a boxed 7800, I didn't know anything about it at the time nor was I really interested in old consoles either. I looked it over, thought to myself "neat" then stupidly walked away The system had a bunch of games with it and I believe it was complete, if I remember correctly the store only wanted like $20 for it. :/ I've also at various times seen 2600's various Sega systems and I'm sure other things I should have snatched up.

Instead of thrift stores I have the flea market which is always a hit and miss. Right now it's getting off slowly as far as gaming items go. Still waiting for that month where everybody starts spring cleaning and digging all of their old stuff out and selling it. Right now it's mostly clothes, misc. junk, and baby items/toys. Did manage to find a 500 GB external hard drive for $2 at least :D

The only other place that's here are the Goodwills, and they are lacking in the electronics department/gaming items more and more. I think they're sending a lot of the good stuff to the goodwills up in Macon... Also, the managers must have hit their heads thinking an atari 2600 and an NES are worth $60 each. I'll keep going though, since I've found some interesting stuff in the past

Also used to have a play n' trade close by. Prices were pretty good on some items there and was a weekly stop until they shut down

Instead of thrift stores I have the flea market which is always a hit and miss. Right now it's getting off slowly as far as gaming items go. Still waiting for that month where everybody starts spring cleaning and digging all of their old stuff out and selling it. Right now it's mostly clothes, misc. junk, and baby items/toys. Did manage to find a 500 GB external hard drive for $2 at least :D

The only other place that's here are the Goodwills, and they are lacking in the electronics department/gaming items more and more. I think they're sending a lot of the good stuff to the goodwills up in Macon... Also, the managers must have hit their heads thinking an atari 2600 and an NES are worth $60 each. I'll keep going though, since I've found some interesting stuff in the past

Also used to have a play n' trade close by. Prices were pretty good on some items there and was a weekly stop until they shut down

Flee markets are awesome of old games and consoles. The local one I go to I regularly see all sorts of stuff. Last time I went I saw an Odyssey 2 and an Atari Jaguar plus the usual slew of NES and SNES games and consoles. I'd have loved to pick up the Jag but the guy was insane and wanted $800 for it!!! :roll:

Flee markets are awesome of old games and consoles. The local one I go to I regularly see all sorts of stuff. Last time I went I saw an Odyssey 2 and an Atari Jaguar plus the usual slew of NES and SNES games and consoles. I'd have loved to pick up the Jag but the guy was insane and wanted $800 for it!!! :roll:

Hehe, yea there's one shop at the market where they have most of their stuff overpriced. Too bad too since he has probably over 1500 games. I'm tempted to look through all of them to see if there's a rare one in there because his pricing seems to be "each game is worth at least $10, and if it's mario or another famous character, then $25"

What is this? Picked it up at the Flea Market for 50 cents last Saturday. Is has a 2600/Genesis king of plug on one end and a stereo kind of plug on the other.

post-25251-129815580529_thumb.jpg

Looks like a serial to stereo cable for older computers. Only reason I know is because I found one in a box of cables not too long ago.

Also, the managers must have hit their heads thinking an atari 2600 and an NES are worth $60 each.

Y, I saw 6 NES CIB at GW today for $10 a piece. Nothing extraordinary, Zelda II gold cart, Metroid, DK Classics, Castlevania, Chip n Dale, Tengen Pac Man. Maybe worth $5 a piece at most.

Also, this store has an Intellivision with 20 commons in crappy boxes for $100 they have been sitting on for 4 months now.

I'd have loved to pick up the Jag but the guy was insane and wanted $800 for it!!! :roll:

I wonder how long these goofballs want to hold onto their stuff. No one who is not currently in an asylum pays those kind of prices.

Also, the managers must have hit their heads thinking an atari 2600 and an NES are worth $60 each.

Y, I saw 6 NES CIB at GW today for $10 a piece. Nothing extraordinary, Zelda II gold cart, Metroid, DK Classics, Castlevania, Chip n Dale, Tengen Pac Man. Maybe worth $5 a piece at most.

Also, this store has an Intellivision with 20 commons in crappy boxes for $100 they have been sitting on for 4 months now.

I'd have loved to pick up the Jag but the guy was insane and wanted $800 for it!!! :roll:

I wonder how long these goofballs want to hold onto their stuff. No one who is not currently in an asylum pays those kind of prices.

CIB NES Titles for $10? I'd have bought those at $10 and thanked God they were there.

AX