IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Also, the managers must have hit their heads thinking an atari 2600 and an NES are worth $60 each.

Y, I saw 6 NES CIB at GW today for $10 a piece. Nothing extraordinary, Zelda II gold cart, Metroid, DK Classics, Castlevania, Chip n Dale, Tengen Pac Man. Maybe worth $5 a piece at most.

Also, this store has an Intellivision with 20 commons in crappy boxes for $100 they have been sitting on for 4 months now.

I'd have loved to pick up the Jag but the guy was insane and wanted $800 for it!!! :roll:

I wonder how long these goofballs want to hold onto their stuff. No one who is not currently in an asylum pays those kind of prices.

CIB NES Titles for $10? I'd have bought those at $10 and thanked God they were there.

AX

Agreed. CIB Zelda II, Metroid, Castlevania, DK Classics are all worth well more than $5 each.

Chris

Finally have a job again (I was unemployed for 7 weeks), so I've finally been able to start hitting the thrifts today. One on my parents' side of town yielded this. I would have gotten more, but the rest were games I already had, although that there were more boxed Sears Intellivision games was interesting in and of itself, I hadn't seen that locally in my wild before.

Intellivision Armor Battle, complete

Super Video Arcade Bowling, complete

Super Video Arcade Horse Racing, complete

Intellivision Sea Battle, complete

Intellivision Sub Hunt, cart and box only

All were $3 each, except Sub Hunt, which was $2.

post-8107-129818149095_thumb.jpg

Got a Coleco Adam computer off of Craigslist for $5 with 8 controllers and 3 tapes. Just missing the printer to try it out. My external power supply doesn't seem to work.

WOW what is with all the extra controllers?!?!

That's what I was wondering!

And do you want to sell some... I need to start hording whites in case I ever release Super Pinky, then Yurkie can make a controller :D

AX

Did pretty well today compared to the last month or so. Got these boxed NES games for $2 each:

post-19797-129823048648_thumb.jpg

The ones with the green stickers on them appear to be re-shrinkwrapped since Bible Adventures has a sticker on one side of the box. Only a couple have the manuals (unfortunately Dusty Diamond Softball doesn't have one), but for the price I can't complain too much :D.

Also got another old radio to restore and add to my small collection for only $3. If the vacuum tubes aren't expensive then it should be a good buy.

post-19797-129823068807_thumb.jpg

post-19797-12982307091_thumb.jpg

Edited by SEgamer

Was out of town and hit up a used game place I hadn't already picked over. Most things were priced pretty high for my thrifty taste, but I couldn't resist a copy of Maze Hunter 3D for the SMS. Not cheap at $7.50, but it was such a rarity to see a SMS 3D game (that I didn't have) that I had to get it. icon_smile.gif

Two finds over the last week or so:

#1 was at Value Village. I got a working Genesis 2, console only for $2.98 on half price day. I also got a yellow N64 controller that I needed for the collection - $2.99. I just need Red and translucent orange to have all the common ones.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/uploads/monthly_02_2011/post-26465-129824198619_thumb.jpg

#2 before that, at the GW I got a Game Gear in carrying case with 7 games, manuals, battery pack (dead, can you replace them batteries?), link cable for $24.99 (1/2 price from $49.99). Works good, display seems a little muddy, but not sure how good they are supposed to look. Games were: Ecco, Sonic Triple Trouble, Majors Pro Baseball, Road Rash, Putt and Putter,World Cup Soccer, and George Foreman KO. Not a super deal, I think I just got excited that I found it all in the case and then that it was 1/2 off/

http://www.atariage.com/forums/uploads/monthly_02_2011/post-26465-129824196819_thumb.jpg

post-26465-129824196819_thumb.jpg

post-26465-129824198619_thumb.jpg

Finds_022111.JPG

More good stuff yesterday. This time from a thrift store.

PGA Tour Golf II (GEN) CIB $1

PGA Tour Golf 97 (PSX) CIB $1.15

Yeah, they're sports titles, but I love golf games, and PGA Tour II for the Genesis is one of the best, and this CIB copy replaces my cart-only copy. PGA Tour 97 is also pretty good.

HP 48GX calculator, with both manuals and soft case. This is in amazing condition. These go for between $75-150 on eBay, and this is the third one that I have found that I need to list. I paid $8.50 for this one. Find of the day? Maybe, or could it be...

Sony Dual Analog Controller (SCPH-1180). These are the controllers that were released between the original digital pad and the dual shock and are VERY hard to find. I still have the one I bought brand new when they were released, but honestly this one is in better condition. Might be my new everyday PSX controller. I paid $1.15 for it.

Chris

Got a Coleco Adam computer off of Craigslist for $5 with 8 controllers and 3 tapes. Just missing the printer to try it out. My external power supply doesn't seem to work.

WOW what is with all the extra controllers?!?!

That's what I was wondering!

And do you want to sell some... I need to start hording whites in case I ever release Super Pinky, then Yurkie can make a controller :D

AX

I'd love to sell some of the controllers, I only want two so I have six spares to sell/trade... but since my Adam isn't working yet, I have no way to test them. (anyone have an Adam power supply or printer for sale?)

PM me if you are interested.

I havent seen an Atari game or any other classic videogame cart in a thrift shop in YEARS

Then that means that the employees are kifing on them, nothing less. There are plenty of families that donate games and systems yearly when they do their spring or fall cleaning. To say that the thrifts in your area never get these items would mean that no families in your area have unplayed games/systems lying around. That is extremely unlikely. Again, the only conclusion to draw is that the charity thrifts are throwing items in the landfill and letting employees take the rest.

Very good reason to never donate to those charity thrifts.

Then that means that the employees are kifing on them, nothing less. There are plenty of families that donate games and systems yearly when they do their spring or fall cleaning. To say that the thrifts in your area never get these items would mean that no families in your area have unplayed games/systems lying around. That is extremely unlikely. Again, the only conclusion to draw is that the charity thrifts are throwing items in the landfill and letting employees take the rest.

I expect that part of it is that some of the thrifts are taking them, but are getting to the point of not wanting to deal in older electronics. I know one of the thrifts in my area certainly seems to have shrunk the electronics area a bit, and not as much is showing up there. Part of that might be that they're trying not to handle the old televisions that are likely flooding them out, and games are getting caught up in the washing of the hands.

The other side is that some of the games and systems are probably being sold online, to get a better sale price for it.

I do still find stuff. I actually had to seriously alert my favorite local independent game store when, get this... a Nintendo VS Unisystem showed up at one of the thrifts... for $45. Working. And in pretty good condition. I'd have bought it myself... but I live in a third floor apartment with no elevator.

My patience has paid off. I've been wanting a Colecovision for a very long time. I finally found one on Craigslist and the price was right. Had to drive about 40 miles one way but it was totally worth the trip. Got all this for $25. Everything just needed to be cleaned up. Works great! The cart on top left is Miner 2049er...and the cart with the label peeling is Donkey Kong.

post-11690-129852460757_thumb.jpg

Edited by 80s_gamer

I haven't been actively looking for things since I'm actually in a selling mode, but these were both via ebay and since they were in my city I picked them up and avoided shipping charges and got them for $13 for the pair.

IMG_2376Medium.jpg

The writing on those boxes reminds me of Digital Derby!

4892200660_cfc4720b47.jpg

My patience has paid off. I've been wanting a Colecovision for a very long time. I finally found one on Craigslist and the price was right. Had to drive about 40 miles one way but it was totally worth the trip. Got all this for $25. Everything just needed to be cleaned up. Works great! The cart on top left is Miner 2049er...and the cart with the label peeling is Donkey Kong.

Nice CL find. I got my CV from CL too, but ended up paying $50 for it. It came with about 26 game carts though.

Finds_022111.JPG

Sony Dual Analog Controller (SCPH-1180). These are the controllers that were released between the original digital pad and the dual shock and are VERY hard to find. I still have the one I bought brand new when they were released, but honestly this one is in better condition. Might be my new everyday PSX controller. I paid $1.15 for it.

You ain't kiddin, about those controllers! What a deal! I have 2 of those, and like you, one I bought new, to play "Rally Cross" (I think it was). The other I bought from the forum here, for a not-insignificant amount. Was it $30? $40? I can't remember, but I wanted a pair. You scored! Could Ebay that puppy....

Fifty dollar Sega CDX, five dollar Lynx. *high-fives the pawn shop*

WOW! :o Those are amazingly low! What sort of condition are they both in?

The CDX was pristine, only missing cables. The Lynx was outwardly sort of beat up, no gouges or anything but the rear label was worn and the power jack was missing. I replaced it & discovered that the screen's pretty washed-out, but apparently that's just a Lynx thing?

Oh, and this past week I bought a PS1 Analog Joystick for about $15. The front-facing X and O buttons on the right stick take a little bit of effort to trigger, but that'll probably be fixed easily enough. Overall it's in excellent shape, much cleaner than the one in Wikipedia's pic.

Edited by Rex Dart

Fifty dollar Sega CDX, five dollar Lynx. *high-fives the pawn shop*

WOW! :o Those are amazingly low! What sort of condition are they both in?

The CDX was pristine, only missing cables. The Lynx was outwardly sort of beat up, no gouges or anything but the rear label was worn and the power jack was missing. I replaced it & discovered that the screen's pretty washed-out, but apparently that's just a Lynx thing?

Oh, and this past week I bought a PS1 Analog Joystick for about $15. The front-facing X and O buttons on the right stick take a little bit of effort to trigger, but that'll probably be fixed easily enough. Overall it's in excellent shape, much cleaner than the one in Wikipedia's pic.

Congrats on thar CDX, I've never even seen one in person. The lynx is a good find as well, I wish I could find another that cheap. I want a busted up one just to take apart so I can figure out how to safely remove the dust under my good ones screen without risking breaking it, figure the best way to do that is practice on a broken one. I'm going to have to start checking out the local pawn shops again. Hopefully they'll have more interesting stuff then the usual slew of guns and tvs.