IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Last couple of days...

CIMG2077.jpg

Japanese GBA LOZ Link to the Past/Four Swords-$10 at a pawn shop.

CIMG2075.jpg

PS2 Rogue Galaxy & MGS3 Subsistence, both complete-$5 each at same pawn shop.

Xbox Conker Live & Reloaded & Halo (NFR version that came with Halo Special Edition Xbox console), both complete-$5.99 each at Goodwill.

Picked up for WolfChild, Asterix, the Ninja, Indiana Jones, Mono Poly and Global Gladiators for the sms.

Gunboat, Keith Courage, Falcon, Super Star Soldier, and Sidearms for the TG16.

The ones I can't wait to try out on real 'ware the most...Midnight Magic for the 2600 and Star fuckin' Soldier ;)

Whole lot for about 35 flat . Mixed bag of Craigslist and Ebay found. :thumbsup:

Nice haul! Well that is except Gunboat which is probably the worst game I have ever played.

You got that right!! Unplayable..period.

Falcon pretty much the same deal :sad:

Haven't posted here in a while since I'm not actively looking but I remembered the "Computers for Kids" yardsale was on the 3rd Saturday of the month so took a chance and went out and came away with some pretty decent stuff:

PC Starfighter

Atari Keypad controller

N64 Paper Mario

32X Star Wars

32X Doom

32X Virtua Racing

Boxed Commodore Mouse

Boxed TI/99 with some boxed application software

TI/99 Joystick Adaptor

TI/99 Mini Memory Module

$20 for everything

post-2493-0-95625800-1300554898_thumb.jpg

I freakin' love Goodwill.

Okay, not really, but they redeemed themselves a tad in my eyes today.

I went back to the Goodwill Select to see if those $15 Atari 2600 were still there, and what kind of negotiating I could do if they were, just for the heck of it. I'm bad at haggling, but I figured if nothing else I could offer $5 each for one or two games, and either they say yes or no. So, I ask the cashier how firm the prices are, she calls a manager, she calls another manager, and after a bit of talk he says, "You know, I can let you have them for $1.99." Blink. "Well, for $1.99 I'd be willing to buy a few more." "All right, just pick out what you want and I'll talk to the cashier."

Lesson learned: Whether you're a master at bargaining or would just rather pay and leave, it's still worth asking. Worst they can say is no.

$1.99 each is still not a complete steal, but it definitely made these worth what I paid for them:

post-6115-0-54220700-1300567616_thumb.jpg

Strawberry Shortcake and Shark Attack are new additions to my collection, the first in probably two years.

I hadn't been thrifting in about a month, so decided today was the day. I hit 9 different stores and was getting really bummed because by store number 7, all I had seen were a few PSX sports titles. Then, in store #8, I struck paydirt. Have a look. Only paid $6, and it was in an aisle with purses, bags, and some miscellaneous garbage items, not the video game section.

AcclaimDoublePlayerWirelessControllers.jpg

Kaching! :lust:

... sports titles...

Am I alone in thinking that sports games should just all be destroyed? Don't donate them, don't try to sell them, just microwave them. Its always infuriating to find a box of games at a thrift store or swap meet only to discover, Madden, Madden, Madden, Madden, Madden, Madden, Madden, Madden and oh hey look at this, mother fucking Madden! :mad:

Not so certain about microwaving, trashing, or otherwise destroying anything cartridge based. My recommendation is to save the cartridge casings and PCB's for donors for homebrews and SD multi-carts. As far as CD/DVD based sports games, the discs can be trashed, but the protective covers/clamshells should be saved for orphaned game discs.

• Like 1

... sports titles...

Am I alone in thinking that sports games should just all be destroyed? Don't donate them, don't try to sell them, just microwave them. Its always infuriating to find a box of games at a thrift store or swap meet only to discover, Madden, Madden, Madden, Madden, Madden, Madden, Madden, Madden and oh hey look at this, mother fucking Madden! :mad:

I gut them and use the parts. :evil: or if I'm lazy BOC them.

AX

I hadn't been thrifting in about a month, so decided today was the day. I hit 9 different stores and was getting really bummed because by store number 7, all I had seen were a few PSX sports titles. Then, in store #8, I struck paydirt. Have a look. Only paid $6, and it was in an aisle with purses, bags, and some miscellaneous garbage items, not the video game section.

AcclaimDoublePlayerWirelessControllers.jpg

Kaching! :lust:

You, sir, have just found gold.

Anyone have a link on what this is about?

Just got back from an early morning garage sale. Came back with all this. :D The TurboGrafx-16 was I think the coolest find, I've never seen one in the wild before, it was missing its controller, power supply and R/F adapter and he had no games for it but at $5 I can't complain. :P Next I saw a box full of random games, I picked out The Need For Speed and Battle Arena Toshinden URA Ultimate Revenge Attack for the Saturn as well as a copy of Galactic Pinball for the Virtual Boy. In the box there were also 2 sealed copies of Rampart for the Lynx which in retrospect I should have probably bought and resold. :ponder: The Sega CD I also picked up for $5, bought it for my brother to complete the monstrosity that the Genesis plus add-ons is, as far as I can tell its complete, even including the little spacer for the Genesis 1, I can't remember if they required any additional cables like the 32X does. The Genesis controls I picked up for a $1, I had forgotten them when I was trying to figure out how to carry everything to my car without dropping something. When I came back and said I'd forgotten it he gave me both controllers(I thought I'd only paid for one lol) as well as the 4 Sega CD games for free, sadly none of them look even remotely in playable condition :sad: but on the bright side they will make wicked coasters. :lolblue: Grand total, $18.

post-28757-0-72066800-1300635878_thumb.jpg

I am very broke but hit the used store up with my last 8 bucks in my wallet. I came out with way more games than I ever thought with that amount of money but I did know I had just a few points to get something up to $3 half off. Hey, everything helps! With the half off, I only paid 1.50 for the "Aidyn Chronicles" which I thought was neat because I have never seen this title in a grey cart...they are always black when I see them and even when I just looked on ebay, weird.

I put a few things on hold which gives me three days to come up with either something to bring in for trade dollars or just to get some game spending cash. They had two 7800 controllers on clearance for 3.99 each and they look to be in very nice condition. Also, I have some Tetris on hold too but I don't remember if it's called "The New Tetris" or "The Next Tetris" but anyway, that one is 2.99. I need to go back through the N64 carts and take another look at the .99 cent to a few dollar one's. They also have about 20 or so hard plastic N64 cases in different colors, they are used but don't look too bad. They were reasonably priced so if anyone needs any of these, let me know.

Here's what I picked up for a grand total of about $6 which included tax and no worries anymore about my insanely large pictures I used to struggle with, I fixed that for when they are clicked:

post-4103-0-00228600-1300647519_thumb.jpg

On a different note, I recently traded a 7800 game for some 2600 carts from a fellow AA member. I'm very happy to add these to my collection. They all work great and look pretty good too! :)

post-4103-0-69980000-1300647524_thumb.jpg

Edited by SpendTooMuchOnAtari

Just got back from an early morning garage sale. Came back with all this. :D The TurboGrafx-16 was I think the coolest find, I've never seen one in the wild before, it was missing its controller, power supply and R/F adapter and he had no games for it but at $5 I can't complain. :P Next I saw a box full of random games, I picked out The Need For Speed and Battle Arena Toshinden URA Ultimate Revenge Attack for the Saturn as well as a copy of Galactic Pinball for the Virtual Boy. In the box there were also 2 sealed copies of Rampart for the Lynx which in retrospect I should have probably bought and resold. :ponder: The Sega CD I also picked up for $5, bought it for my brother to complete the monstrosity that the Genesis plus add-ons is, as far as I can tell its complete, even including the little spacer for the Genesis 1, I can't remember if they required any additional cables like the 32X does. The Genesis controls I picked up for a $1, I had forgotten them when I was trying to figure out how to carry everything to my car without dropping something. When I came back and said I'd forgotten it he gave me both controllers(I thought I'd only paid for one lol) as well as the 4 Sega CD games for free, sadly none of them look even remotely in playable condition :sad: but on the bright side they will make wicked coasters. :lolblue: Grand total, $18.

Ahh the envy sets in icon_rolleyes.gif I'm as surprised as you are that you would find a turbografx in the wild! I was going to ask if I could buy the sega CD off you but I guess thats spoken for haha. Do you have plans for the VB Galactic Pinball? icon_ponder.gif

Where in the hell do you live that everybody bought the most obscure console of each generation!?!?!

I was thinking the same thing.

Chris

I just got really lucky today. I very rarely find anything interesting, the 32x was the first good find I've had since I bought my Virtual Boy 2-3 years ago.

Ahh the envy sets in icon_rolleyes.gif I'm as surprised as you are that you would find a turbografx in the wild! I was going to ask if I could buy the sega CD off you but I guess thats spoken for haha. Do you have plans for the VB Galactic Pinball? icon_ponder.gif

The Sega CD isn't working ATM, my brother is actually in the process of swapping out the fuses which apparently go out quite often on the CD. Hopefully thats all thats wrong with it, it powers on but nothing happens and there is no sound that would indicate its spinning up the disc. Hopefuly the TG16 works, I'm going to take it down to a local retro gaming store that has one for sale and ask if they would hook it up to their TV and see if it works still. It would be a shame to waste money getting cables and such for it to find out its dead. Galactic Pinball I actually intend to play once I get my VB displays back from the guy repairing them in the Netherlands. They should arrive any time now hopefully.

Edited by A_Locomotive

Hopefully it all works out, thanks anyway A_Locomotive!

It does! :) I just got back from my local retro store, Luna Video Games, the guy who runs it was kind enough to hook it up for me and let me play a little R-Type on it for a bit. :D Once I've got a bit more money in the bank I'll definitely be picking up a controller and a few games from them, Bonk is number one on my list.

If you interested in a busted CD, I'm sure my brother would be happy to let it go if he can't get it working. lol

Haha unfortunately my experience of fixing broken consoles goes as far as disabling lockout chips for NES icon_ponder.gif. So I don't think I'd know enough to fix it...

Great to hear that your turbografx is working though, I would highly recommend fantasy zone.  Its one of my favorite hue card games for the system :)

Edited by Itchy Koala

Sounds to me like you found a fellow collector who was trying to clear out his extra junk. If it were me, I'd have made sure to give him my name and number in case he has any more he's looking to get rid of.

Haha unfortunately my experience of fixing broken consoles goes as far as disabling lockout chips for NES icon_ponder.gif. So I don't think I'd know enough to fix it...

Great to hear that your turbografx is working though, I would highly recommend fantasy zone.  Its one of my favorite hue card games for the system :)

No worries, my bro got it to fire up but still no dice in getting it to spin the disc. I'll look it up when I've got more money, looking on ebay(and at Luna) TG16 games are definitely not cheap in comparison to all my other old consoles. :o

Sounds to me like you found a fellow collector who was trying to clear out his extra junk. If it were me, I'd have made sure to give him my name and number in case he has any more he's looking to get rid of.

Your probably right, its not often you see any of of what he had, let alone all together. Thats also actually a really good idea in regards to leaving my info, I just sent him an email through his craigslist add for the garage sale. I thanked him for what I bought and asked him to hit me up if he ever dug up anything else he wanted to sell gaming related or anything that went with the TG16.

A few quick thrift finds.

NES Tetris, $7.50

NES Kung Fu, $5

SNES F-Zero, $3

Intellvision X2, $3 (And only worth that much to me, the games are only 'close' to the originals.)

post-8107-0-16641000-1300757650_thumb.jpg

Edited by jferio