IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

I decided to stop at a local thrift store/ebay store location...

Nothing Atari related, but I did get TWO copies of SNES Chrono Trigger for $5 each. One was cart only, the other was with a box and tray, both work and save!

So much for an Ebay store...they wont be in business long if they cant figure out what they are selling. On the other hand, they can have all of my pocket money for more sweet deals like this one.

Edited by jumbojohnny

Nothing Atari related, but I did get TWO copies of SNES Chrono Trigger for $5 each. One was cart only, the other was with a box and tray, both work and save!

So much for an Ebay store...they wont be in business long if they cant figure out what they are selling. On the other hand, they can have all of my pocket money for more sweet deals like this one.

Wow, that was an amazing find at a place that says ebay too? You are the man on that one, Congrats! :thumbsup:

Edited by SpendTooMuchOnAtari

Wow, that was an amazing find at a place that says ebay too? You are the man on that one, Congrats! :thumbsup:

April 1st... any other day I may buy in... the tell tale is that it's TWO copies.

AX

April 1st... any other day I may buy in... the tell tale is that it's TWO copies.

AX

Ya, know, two copies is odd. Did they have any other SNES there Johnny? :?

I love pics! ;)

They had a SNES- colorful thanks to some highlighters and markers (I have six right now, I didnt need another) and a few other sports titles (Madden, NBA Live, Ken Griffey Baseball, etc).

This store is fairly new, and they have a fair selection of older games, but its mostly Sega Genesis. It was odd that there are two Chrono Triggers, but I am not going to question how or why they had them. I could assume that the loose cart was with the system, and the boxed was just part of the store inventory.

Oh, and have no wories people, I will have scans up after work to show my find. Loose cart label has a small tear on the top portion of the label (why I think it came with the SNES system). The box for the other is in nice condition, minor softening around the corners of the tabs, but no crushing or rips.

Edited by jumbojohnny

Why get a Sony when you can get a Cony?

A couple days ago I found a Contec portable color TV that was in some very nice condition with external antenna hook up and AV inputs and outputs. It can run off 10 D-cells(better have that Costco card ready!). It was $5.99 and appeared to work to the extent I was able to check it out at the store... so I bought it and took it home.

So far, it seems to work really well. Usually when I find things like this there is a lot of noise on the volume adjustment or some other irritating issue... this thing is just very nice outside of appearing to miss the plastic cover that probably was supposed to protect the CRT.

Then I noticed the manufacturer was "Cony Electronics, Inc." It's a Cony. It's manufacture date is April 1985.

post-210-0-71566200-1301743023_thumb.jpg

post-210-0-67201000-1301743026_thumb.jpg

post-210-0-87045700-1301743027_thumb.jpg

post-210-0-60794200-1301743065_thumb.jpg

Went to an estate sale today. The boxed ColecoVision shown in the photos was gone by the time I was there. Picked up an Intellivision 1(hard-wired controllers) in ok shape for $15. No games. Both of the shiny controller discs are gone. No video cable&box. Meh. I own it now. Needs cleaning.

I traded in a bunch of crap at a used book store and got $97 credit yesterday. We are talking stuff that was destined for BOCIII, Engelbert Humperdink CD included! I was delighted. Picked up a round button Saturn $19.99, Xenogears CIB PSX $23.45, Iron Soldier III CIB PSX $9.95, Dynasty Warriors CIB PSX $9.95, a boxed Interact N64 Steering wheel $4.95, Paper Mario N64 Strat guide $11.25, Jurassic Park Warpath CIB PSX $10.95, and Resident Evil 2 Dreamcast CIB $6.95.

NOT A BAD TRADE! :D

AX

I traded in a bunch of crap at a used book store and got $97 credit yesterday. We are talking stuff that was destined for BOCIII, Engelbert Humperdink CD included! I was delighted. Picked up a round button Saturn $19.99, Xenogears CIB PSX $23.45, Iron Soldier III CIB PSX $9.95, Dynasty Warriors CIB PSX $9.95, a boxed Interact N64 Steering wheel $4.95, Paper Mario N64 Strat guide $11.25, Jurassic Park Warpath CIB PSX $10.95, and Resident Evil 2 Dreamcast CIB $6.95.

NOT A BAD TRADE! :D

AX

Great trade man! I do this kind of thing when I have stuff that most outlets won't take that accumulates. It's nearly free stuff so the price really doesn't matter as much. Yeah, I get you there. I actually did this once somewhere and scored a sealed Demon Attack for the Odyssey 2 and for some reason at that time, it went for about $60 so ya never know.

Great trade AX, especially since I noticed you chose only CIB and complete items, as I would. ;)

Picked up a working 3ft tall poster phone for $1 from a Yard Sale.

I also picked one of those Sega Genesis Arcade Motion Dual from Walgreens for $7.50. For the price, it's pretty good even with the audio issues. And I learned I can play "other" games on it. ;)

Edited by nightwheel

Pretty excited about this church sale find yesterday. Got a box of about 125 Commodore PET educational cassettes. Not too exciting? Maybe. But these were all the programs I used when I was in elementary school on the school's PET computers, so they were my very first real intro to computers. There's cassettes here from companies such as MECC, Tycom, Microphys, Micro-Ed, and more. Slots, Trail West (like Oregon Trail), that fishing game that I can't remember the name of offhand, Sitting Ducks, plus all the usual Math, Vocab, Reading, Geography, etc. The Geography one spans at least 8 tapes. To me, this is big. I haven't found most of this stuff on the internet.

I don't have a PET, but I've been loading them up on the C64, and have only found one so far that won't load. Of the ones that will, most of them run fine on the C64 superficially at least, and either way, at least I can get them archived to the SD card.

The best part is that most of them have the instruction inserts and all. I bought them directly from the church school that used them 30 years ago, as they all have that name written on them, and they took good care of them. This is great! I wish I had a PET... but I have a PET emulator for now!

Also bought a bunch of Apple ][ books and in the disk holder is a bunch of MECC Apple ][ educational disks. I have seen quite a few of these on the internet, so probably most of those are already archived anyway, and I can't archive Apple disks anyway.

The church sale did have a bunch of Apple ][ educational cassettes, but I left them due to overall condition and lack of interesting titles (mostly fractions etc). If someone was extremely interested in something like that, I could call them up and see if they still have them even though the sale is now over. I just wasn't interested in paying much for them.

post-16769-0-15598200-1301865502_thumb.jpg

post-16769-0-52458900-1301865499_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirage
  • Like 2

Pretty excited about this church sale find yesterday. Got a box of about 125 Commodore PET educational cassettes. Not too exciting? Maybe. But these were all the programs I used when I was in elementary school on the school's PET computers, so they were my very first real intro to computers. There's cassettes here from companies such as MECC, Tycom, Microphys, Micro-Ed, and more. Slots, Trail West (like Oregon Trail), that fishing game that I can't remember the name of offhand, Sitting Ducks, plus all the usual Math, Vocab, Reading, Geography, etc. The Geography one spans at least 8 tapes. To me, this is big. I haven't found most of this stuff on the internet.

I don't have a PET, but I've been loading them up on the C64, and have only found one so far that won't load. Of the ones that will, most of them run fine on the C64 superficially at least, and either way, at least I can get them archived to the SD card.

The best part is that most of them have the instruction inserts and all. I bought them directly from the church school that used them 30 years ago, as they all have that name written on them, and they took good care of them. This is great! I wish I had a PET... but I have a PET emulator for now!

Also bought a bunch of Apple ][ books and in the disk holder is a bunch of MECC Apple ][ educational disks. I have seen quite a few of these on the internet, so probably most of those are already archived anyway, and I can't archive Apple disks anyway.

The church sale did have a bunch of Apple ][ educational cassettes, but I left them due to overall condition and lack of interesting titles (mostly fractions etc). If someone was extremely interested in something like that, I could call them up and see if they still have them even though the sale is now over. I just wasn't interested in paying much for them.

Wow, very cool find! Congrats! There's a bit of your childhood you never expected to recapture, eh?

Found a GG case at Chatanooga goodwill on Friday with sticker... said $15.99 includes games, all working. Was on regular store shelf... EMPTY :mad: would have been half off Saturday. Some dick stole it. Game Stop next door probably had a sale attempt... wonder if it will end up in the woods when they can't unload it. I will say... I've found a box with a genesis soaked with rain (it worked) and lost a blue GG that was left on the trunk of a car... so that stuff happens.

AX

I've had things given to me because people/family and whatever knows I'm into it and they do come across it because many do property management where people leave old gaming stuff and then they hold it for a while and if they don't get it, they trash it or sell it off. I get dibs on gaming stuff. :thumbsup:

I tried to PM you, but your mailbox is full. That is a neat and rare find these days. If you need help preserving these let me know. I can transfer to TAP files directly.

-

Pete Rittwage

C64 Preservation Project

http://c64preservation.com

I tried to PM you, but your mailbox is full. That is a neat and rare find these days. If you need help preserving these let me know. I can transfer to TAP files directly.

-

Pete Rittwage

C64 Preservation Project

http://c64preservation.com

Thank you... I'm aware of the PM box situation, trying to re-subscribe to the site, but something is broken. Al is all over it. I've been deleting PM's but I'm a couple hundred over my current limit and the multiple-delete is broken also, so it's slow going!!!

EDIT: I got the multi-delete issue fixed, must have been a browser (or operator) issue. I should have plenty of free inbox space now.

Edited by Mirage
  • Like 1