IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

WOW!!! What a sweet find for a buck! Even if it didn't work it's awesome. I always wanted one too. As a kid, anything "ROBOT" like was just pure heaven, especially in the 70s. Gives me some hope as I may hit the thrift stores next monday. Anyway, superb find!

• Like 1

I woke up this morning with a feeling I would find stuff. I had no real reason to believe it, just a hunch that seemed stronger than usual. Well, sure enough, I found stuff! No Atari or other 8-bit stuff sadly, but instead I found a whopping 19 new albums to add to the vinyl collection, five of which replaced cassettes I can finally get rid of. Among the new additions are Badfinger's Straight Up, Cheap Trick's One on One, Def Leppard's High 'n' Dry, Dan Fogelberg's Souvenirs, and two especially good thrift finds, Led Zeppelin's untitled album and a Brian May side-project EP called Star Fleet Project.

But it wasn't a day completely without video games. I also found these PS2 titles for cheap:

post-6115-0-78259800-1341103464_thumb.jpg

Honestly I have no business buying RPG's, but these were well-reviewed and the price was low enough that I figured even if I never get around to trying them out, somebody around here probably will want them. But Super Bust-a-Move is definitely staying in my collection.

Well, I had some good yard sale finds. Nothing VG related, but some good stuff for my 70s & 80s cabinets.

A 1970s Hot Wheels case with 12 1980s cars, most in excellent collection (both trays are clean and unbroken)

post-30739-0-52011300-1341190825_thumb.jpg

Fisger Price toys from the 70s (I had these as a kid they are awesome), a rubiks cube with slanted corners (didn't have this version!), a Lifesavers cup, Halsam Dragon Dominoes, a M.A.S.K. jeep, and two 1982 Atari pencils (Tempest & Haunted House, hardly used)

post-30739-0-53427900-1341191028_thumb.jpg

Some Tonka & Buddy L cars/trucks, a really dirty/broken Landspeeder, and some white space toy that requires a rip cord (no identifying info on the toy)

post-30739-0-39557100-1341191128_thumb.jpg

A battery powered chopper, some late 70s remote control cars, some other Hot Wheels/cars, a 1969 Sizzlers, Animal Rummy card game

post-30739-0-60177400-1341191223_thumb.jpg

ET figures, PLACO plunger guns, vintage water pistols (one still has the rear cap), Radio Shack Ranger Walkie Talkies from 1976, and 4 vintage Duncan yo-yos.

post-30739-0-58186700-1341191311_thumb.jpg

I picked up an old Sharp pc-7200 at the flea market today for three dollars. It powers up and the screen displays text, but I am still unsure as to how well it works since I can't seem to find any 5.25" floppy disks around the house. I'll have to keep looking in the attic and the shed out back tomorrow to see if I can't find a couple to try out.

sharp%20PC-7200.jpg

Not my picture.

Fisger Price toys from the 70s (I had these as a kid they are awesome)...

Ha, my grandparents had (have?) that same motorcycle (the blue/brown/black 318). Looks like it has a sidecar and a dude in that picture? Never seen those before.

I always liked to have G.I. Joes ride it. I seem to remember them fitting decently, but I think the handlebars ended up breaking (soft rubber?).

Here's what I have found so far during this garage sale season:

PS2 Code Breaker - 50 cents

Bradygames Secret Codes 2005 Volume 2 book - 50 cents

4 PS2 Sony brand memory cards - $2 for all 4

PS/PS2 AV Cable - 25 cents

PS2 Star Wars Starfighter complete - $1

PS2 Call of Duty 2 complete - $1

PS2 Disney Golf complete - $2

Mario Kart DS complete - $5

Plug & Play Star Wars, FF4, & Justice League - 3 for 2$

Gamestop Multi-System Dance Mat - $2

GC Resident Evil Zero complete - $1

GC Disney's Tarzan Untamed complete - $1

Mad Catz MC2 Universal Racing Wheel & Pedals new in box - $2.50

Here are some pictures:

post-7900-0-00768900-1341242041_thumb.jpgpost-7900-0-78486700-1341242060_thumb.jpgpost-7900-0-39079200-1341242078_thumb.jpgpost-7900-0-80597100-1341242110_thumb.jpgpost-7900-0-21267600-1341242149_thumb.jpg

I've been looking at those things lately. How's the image quality?

The image quality is great but small only 640x480. I bought mine way back and loved it because back in the day, I could read the floppy on either a Mac, Linux or Windows computer... kind of like a thumb drive nowadays... they couldn't do much better on resolution since you were limited to the 1.44mb on the floppy. Though the 14x optical zoom made up for the lower pixels and I was quite suprised at the quality of the video mode.

post-24636-0-45715300-1341258562_thumb.jpg

post-24636-0-93148400-1341258573_thumb.jpg

post-24636-0-63094800-1341258603_thumb.jpg

post-24636-0-74995000-1341258617_thumb.jpg

seal-001.MPG

Edited by the-topdog
  • Like 1

The image quality is great but small only 640x480. I bought mine way back and loved it because back in the day, I could read the floppy on either a Mac, Linux or Windows computer... kind of like a thumb drive nowadays... they couldn't do much better on resolution since you were limited to the 1.44mb on the floppy. Though the 14x optical zoom made up for the lower pixels and I was quite suprised at the quality of the video mode.

That doesn't look bad at all! I'm going to look into getting one of these so I can finally have a camera to take with me places.

Neat, your Goodwill stickers look different from ours.

I got some cool stuff yestereday, mostly books though. But I did manage to find a copy of Rush - Permanent Waves (remastered) in pretty good condition B) One of those "can't not get" purchases I come across every so often.

post-26465-0-87583600-1341278587_thumb.jpg

Let me guess... it had a disc for My Little Pony in it....

believe me, I remember to check this time. Unscratched disc, manual and map/poster. Big smile!

Price?

Oh, you missed the GW sticker on the back there, but it was $4.99.

Neat, your Goodwill stickers look different from ours.

I got some cool stuff yestereday, mostly books though. But I did manage to find a copy of Rush - Permanent Waves (remastered) in pretty good condition B) One of those "can't not get" purchases I come across every so often.

Yep, I missed that it had a sticker (didn't click the pic) those are very different price stickers than Goodwill of Middle TN, didn't even register as a thrift sticker from out in the iconized photo.

I'll post pics later tonight, but I didn't have much luck yesterday in Bakersield. I did find a few goodies:

The Vikings Soundtrack LP (Kurt Douglas, Tony Curtis, Ernest Borgnine, Janet Leigh)

"The Conquerer" Chess Set (from a 1969 designer - very chic!)

The Chipmunk Adventure Laser Disc - it's pretty scratched up but for some reason this movie is very hard to find, especially on Laser Disc! Just helps my 80s Laser Disc set!

Riders of Rohan SEALED PC game

Tower Toppler SEALED PC game

Thunder Strike SEALED PC game

Apollo 18 by Accolade PC (not sealed but I think someone just opened it to see what was inside because the shrinkwrap is still there).

Anyway, like I said I'll post some pics later tronight. That was all I found. I think my wife likes me going to town on Mondays now because there isn't much there!

Yep, I missed that it had a sticker (didn't click the pic) those are very different price stickers than Goodwill of Middle TN, didn't even register as a thrift sticker from out in the iconized photo.

Yes, it would have been better if it were the "half-off color" price sticker. It would have had to have survived four more weeks for that and I yoinked this straight off the lady's distribution cart, ten feet out the stockroom door. Also notable about this Goodwill visit; the first "hot" GW employee I have ever seen was my cashier.

Also notable about this Goodwill visit; the first "hot" GW employee I have ever seen was my cashier.

I didn't think it was humanly possible for Goodwill to have attractive employees! It seems like all the ones I go to are manned by middle-aged minority workers that look like they're only working because it will pay for their next fix.