IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

How do you guys plan out your yard sale/garage sale/flea market days? Do you scour the newspaper, check Craigslist, or even use some of the new yard sale apps I've heard about?

I didn't know you could plan them out like that, I just see them driving past and stop to check it out.

There's also a pretty big flea market around here that usually has tons of them on the way over.

I do have to plan out said flea market, though. It's only on Monday mornings, and I usually have to work. They might be putting us back on third shift "soon" though, so maybe I'll have to see about staying up past my bedtime every so often...

Edited by Asaki

I've picked up a few TRS-80 games today

Project Nebula

Backgammon

Skiing

Robot Battle

Canyon Climber

Wildcatting

Kindercomp

&

Math Bingo

I have no idea what CoCo games are going for???

About $5 each IMO. Coco games are one of those enigmas where they aren't nearly as common as carts for other systems but they don't command big dollars unless they're very rare like some of the Anteco carts.

Some of the Coco 3 games like Rampage, Tetris, Arkanoid, Silpheed, Thexder, etc can be worth a bit more - like $10. One popular one is Dungeons of Daggorath but again, it doesn't command big bucks.

I see some crazy ebay bins for coco stuff but that's not really surprising.

I've picked up a few TRS-80 games today

Project Nebula

Backgammon

Skiing

Robot Battle

Canyon Climber

Wildcatting

Kindercomp

&

Math Bingo

I have no idea what CoCo games are going for???

About $5 each IMO. Coco games are one of those enigmas where they aren't nearly as common as carts for other systems but they don't command big dollars unless they're very rare like some of the Anteco carts.

Some of the Coco 3 games like Rampage, Tetris, Arkanoid, Silpheed, Thexder, etc can be worth a bit more - like $10. One popular one is Dungeons of Daggorath but again, it doesn't command big bucks.

I see some crazy ebay bins for coco stuff but that's not really surprising.

awesome!!

thanks for your help! I paid $15.00 for the lot.. I figured what the hell I never really see them in the wild.

Matt

The 3's are awesome. I have 4 of them including one with the 512k upgrade from cloud9tech, I'm kinda of a hoarder when it comes to the coco but mostly because its harder to find and the coco 3's are really going up in price. Cloud9tech now sells the ones they have left for $100 + shipping.

So mine isn't a "thrift" find.

I was at a car parts swap meet this weekend, and I usually do fairly well for game systems and games.. Don't ask why. I don't know, lol.

Picked up

Boxed 5200 4 port, with all manuals, boxes for inserts, etc, 2 controllers.

boxed/manuals/overlays for

Pac Man

Countermeasure

Super BreakOut

Defender

Pole Position

NES Castlevania 3

N64 Controller

GameBody Advance, missing back cover.

Some BMX game for said system.

Bag with approx 10 2600 games (all commons and doubles for me, but I did not have Omega Race)

and also 6 or 7 8 bit cartridges (I have none, so all were new. Nothing special. Miner 2049er, Pengo, Qix, etc.

All under $80

Edited by psquare75

Picked up Spider-Man Classics #2 (Reprints Amazing Spider-Man #1) for $2 from a comic dealer at a local flea market, I've had my eye on this one online. It's in about VF-NM condition.

Are you a Dr. Pepper drinker? Right now DP is doing an Avengers tie-in and giving away XBox's, but if you enter a code and don't win, they'll instead offer a free month of unlimited comics on Marvel's online digital archive. Shockingly it doesn't even require a credit card number if you only want the free month and nothing beyond that. I've been reading a lot of the old '60s stuff lately.

Edited by FujiSkunk
  • Like 1

Some nice finds this weekend, surprising since they were all at an antique store.

Complete Atari 2600 Light sixer set, 17 fairly common games all with manuals, great condition Video game center (one I hadn't seen before too.) The real treat of the set was the Kid Controller as well as the two Sesame Street Games with the overlays and manuals! The tag on it said it didn't work (it does, works great actually) and I got the lot for $25!

post-12780-0-97103600-1337042439_thumb.jpg post-12780-0-76208400-1337042452_thumb.jpg

Cool little N64 Diddy Kong Racing tin box for $4.50, kinda high, but I'd never seen it before and I love the game.

post-12780-0-73960700-1337042455_thumb.jpg

Nintendo Donkey Kong II Game and Watch. Fantastic condition, battery cover intact and no corrosion, also $25.

post-12780-0-36673100-1337042453_thumb.jpgpost-12780-0-99837400-1337042453_thumb.jpg

I also was in Kohls this weekend and saw they have those iCade iPad joysticks on clearance for $41.99, but I also had a 30% coupon, so I grabbed it for only $29.39!

Picked up Spider-Man Classics #2 (Reprints Amazing Spider-Man #1) for $2 from a comic dealer at a local flea market, I've had my eye on this one online. It's in about VF-NM condition.

Are you a Dr. Pepper drinker? Right now DP is doing an Avengers tie-in and giving away XBox's, but if you enter a code and don't win, they'll instead offer a free month of unlimited comics on Marvel's online digital archive. Shockingly it doesn't even require a credit card number if you only want the free month and nothing beyond that. I've been reading a lot of the old '60s stuff lately.

I'll have to look into that, Thanks for the tip! :spidey:

It's been a long while since I added anything to the vinyl collection. Today I found a nice little stash of records, mostly from the '80s.

post-6115-0-39209100-1337478087_thumb.jpg

These are the highlights of the haul, because these are all still in their shrinkwrap! I'm torn on whether I should open them. On one hand, they're not the rarest titles, and they're Columbia House editions at that. On the other hand, any virgin vinyl nowadays is going to fetch a premium, however small. Any advice from the record hounds?

I also picked up a couple of Michael Jackson records, among other opened titles. I sold off all my MJ stuff back when the court drama was going on, but now that I know my money can no longer support any unhealthy habits he may have had, I'm gradually building the collection again.

Edited by FujiSkunk

I'm torn on whether I should open them. On one hand, they're not the rarest titles, and they're Columbia House editions at that. On the other hand, any virgin vinyl nowadays is going to fetch a premium, however small. Any advice from the record hounds?

Columbia House had a reputation for second-rate pressings, so I'm guessing these won't fetch too much...

...then again, that might be an argument to sell them without opening them: if a collector really wants sealed product, then the pressing quality isn't going to matter to them anyway! :) Whereas if you just want to play your records, then (if the CH reputation is deserved) you'd be better off waiting for a clean, opened copy.

I'm an a8 fan(not 5200), so I'm not sure what they're worth--but I'm pretty sure I'm a winner with 6 5200 games, $10 shipped.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2610243231811?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=261024323181&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Out of the lot, I think I may have Qix--I haven't checked. Not that it matters, I've never so much as plugged in my 5200. I doubt any of my controllers work. But I'm on board with 6 decent games for $10 in this economy. I accept that there will be no more garbage bags full of atari games for $5.

I'm torn on whether I should open them. On one hand, they're not the rarest titles, and they're Columbia House editions at that. On the other hand, any virgin vinyl nowadays is going to fetch a premium, however small. Any advice from the record hounds?

Columbia House had a reputation for second-rate pressings, so I'm guessing these won't fetch too much...

Yeah, I've heard the same thing. I still haven't decided about all of them yet, but I figure at the very least I'll keep the ones I also have on CD sealed.

What's funny is several of these have slightly different covers than what I've seen elsewhere. Bryan Adams's Reckless has smaller lettering, and several colors on Genesis's Abacab are different. I wonder if that was a trick of Columbia House to make it easier to spot certain records sold through their club. Either that or somebody was really asleep at the QA wheel.

First post on this thread ... fun reading about everyone's finds.

Last week a local storage locker rental shop advertised a Colecovision on Craigslist with a bunch of games. Went there and got more than I bargained for

Coleceovision (REALLY fuzzy picture to the point of being unplayable) with 30+ games

Atari (not beautiful cosmetically, but working perfectly) and a couple of games

NES (flashing red light of course!) with 4 games (including a gold zelda)

Nintendo 64 (working perfectly) with 8 games including 007 and Vigilante 8 2nd Offense

All for $70. Considering the coleco games are probably worth that much, I think that I made out ok.

Not a thrift find, but definitely an unexpected surprise. I was helping my friend and his roommate move out the other day and they gave me a Fairchild Chanel F and about a dozen games to hold on to for a while. This thing is in supreme condition! The console has a protective plastic cover, still has the original receipts and manuals and hasn't been played since the late eighties, so I'll probably have this thing on my hands for a long time. I'd post pictures, but I don't have a camera.

Not a thrift find, but definitely an unexpected surprise. I was helping my friend and his roommate move out the other day and they gave me a Fairchild Chanel F and about a dozen games to hold on to for a while. This thing is in supreme condition! The console has a protective plastic cover, still has the original receipts and manuals and hasn't been played since the late eighties, so I'll probably have this thing on my hands for a long time. I'd post pictures, but I don't have a camera.

Nice, love the underdog systems like the channel f.