IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

...or you might keep it, they're pretty nice ;)

Not if you already have one. The boxed set would be an extra set.

Anyway did some more garage sale hunting. Picked up a few more odd and ends including a working 15" LCD monitor for $2 and load of books (Fox Trot books), and a pink Gameboy SP with the "new brighter screen" (model 101) for $5

The best find came finally:

Image05042013123142_zps7de21d5f.jpg

34 games total for $10 including 2 uncommon blue label variants. 1 mystery cart near the top and a lone 7800 cart on the bottom.

Edited by Uzumaki
  • Like 4

Got this lot today from a local guy for € 25. Not a super-cheap haul, especially compared to prices you have in the US. But I'm content, Streets of Rage II for SMS is really nice. SMS games are extremely rare in the wild here. I did. however, feel the urge to stop at a local clinic and get my tetanus vaccination refreshed after touching the games in the condition they were sold. Took me a whle, but they are clean and stickerless now - and all work like a charm. I bought Shaq Fu intentionally, just for shits and giggles ;-).

(edit) Also found Worms and Spyro 2 (PS1), Silent Hunter III and Sam & Max Season One (PC) as well as Pitfall for GB Color on a flea market earlier today.

post-34656-0-43273700-1367694202_thumb.jpg

Edited by karokoenig
  • Like 2

Decent finds for the first garage sales I attended this year.

Keyboard is a brand new Lenovo - $5

Jason Goes to Hell VHS - $1

Problem Child VHS - $1

X-Men Enter Magneto & Deadly Reunions - $.25

Hostage DVD (sealed) - $4

Call of Duty Black Ops II PS3 - $15 (will make an excellent game stop trade in)

photo5-1_zpsc0e18489.jpg

Edited by doomwaves
  • Like 1

I stopped at Savers today and bought a couple old Windows games. X-Men Cartoon Maker and Mario Teaches Typing 2. They were $1.99 a piece.

I also stopped by the flea market this morning and found some really cool stuff. I passed on a portable Betamax play because I already have two players, this one was $20, and it requires a proprietary AC adapter, which wasn't included.

I also passed on a CED player. Someone had a player and about 25 discs, but they were asking $5 for each disc, so I didn't bother asking about the player.

What I did find which I'm excited about is a Hitachi portable VCR with a 5" LCD screen. It came in a carrying case and had all the manuals, adapters (except the DC cable), the battery charger, two batteries, and the original sale receipt (which I love finding when I buy something). The batteries didn't work when I bought it, so I was able to talk them down to $15 instead of the original $35. When I got it home I started charging a battery, but it kept shutting off and the power light would blink (which means it's 'overheated'. Every time it would do that I would unplug it for about ten seconds and plug it back in and it would start charging again for a while. Eventually it stopped shutting off and I was able to get the battery to charge fully (about an hour and a half).

And now it works! I can't wait to use this baby.

Hitachi VT-LC50EM [1/2]

Hitachi VT-LC50EM [2/2]

• Like 3

I picked up sealed copies of the Netlink versions of Sega Rally and Virtua On for $1 each this weekend, along with a Wico Command Control for $2. That's actually the same place where my girlfriend fiancée picked up that ridiculous haul last year (10 boxes with over $500 worth of gaming stuff for $20), and among the items I got in that lot were loose Netlink manuals for those games, so I'm quite certain these were leftovers that got separated from the box last year. Sweet reunion! :D

I also had a couple of good pickups in April: a bunch of mint PlayStation games for $2 each (including oddball games like Power Shovel and Bombing Islands), and a CoCo 3 with disk drive, joystick, several cart games, two CIB disk games, and a bunch of blank disks for $50.

Uzumaki, I am eternally jealous of you!!!!

Those are some utterly amazing finds! Sure, the working PS3 60GB is pretty cool, but what's really cool is all those Saturn games you found, and they all seem to be in great shape! Especially the cases, which in my experience were made with some of the most brittle plastic known to man! Astal is the best of the bunch there, just a gorgeous and challenging platformer, and the rest are great too. Amazing you were able to get a bunch of games like that with none of them being crappy sports games! Let me know if you want to sell any of those.

I picked up sealed copies of the Netlink versions of Sega Rally and Virtua On for $1 each this weekend, along with a Wico Command Control for $2. That's actually the same place where my girlfriend picked up that ridiculous haul last year (10 boxes with over $500 worth of gaming stuff for $20), and among the items I got in that lot were loose Netlink manuals for those games, so I'm quite certain these were leftovers that got separated from the box last year. Sweet reunion! :D

I also had a couple of good pickups in April: a bunch of mint PlayStation games for $2 each (including oddball games like Power Shovel and Bombing Islands), and a CoCo 3 with disk drive, joystick, several cart games, two CIB disk games, and a bunch of blank disks for $50.

:o How much for Virtual On? :drool:

:o How much for Virtual On? :drool:

:D Thanks, but I didn't think these games were worth much -- am I wrong? I thought sealed games that came in the Netlink packages were fairly common. Either way, a sealed Saturn game for $1 is a good day.

Holy f. . . . jealous man, nice score.

Thanks! The guy I got it from was really nice -- about the same age as me, and like me he grew up with the machine. He was originally asking $100 but didn't hesitate to drop the price to $50. It's in immaculate shape, and will be a much-needed replacement for my CoCo 3 that bit the dust a couple years ago. I bought a DriveWire cable, so once I get a couple of adapters, I'm hoping to start filling up those blank disks (I've already CLOADMed a few via my laptop's cassette port).

BTW the same guy had just sold his entire video game collection to someone for $2k, but apparently they weren't interested in the CoCo. He assured me that the buyer didn't seem like a reseller, just a kid who was super-excited to have an instant collection. There are some pretty aggressive resellers on Long Island, so I hope he's right.

It's in immaculate shape, and will be a much-needed replacement for my CoCo 3 that bit the dust a couple years ago.

That sucks, I hate hearing about dead coco's. Do you know what happened? Try reseating chips, etc?

I have 4 coco 3's. Its one system I'll hoard as I know out of my whole collection, coco 3's will be the hardest to replace. The custom gime chips that it uses are almost impossible to find, although luckily if anything goes its more likely to be the 6809 (little easier to find replacements) than the GIME.

Edited by AtariLeaf

Been to a carbootsale today and got these nice games. Comming across atari 800 games isn't very common here so i was happy. Now i have to track down a cassette player since i don't own one yet.

All games cost a euro a piece. All are complete, but hijack misses it manual.

Atari 800

Ace of aces

Ninja master

Dizzy dice

Rogue

Power down

Hijack

C64/c128

Snare

post-5654-0-00165600-1368109738_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Cool Spot and Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego? for the Genesis B)

Cases but no manuals...I guess Time came with a nice, thick encyclopedia which probably makes the game a lot easier =|

With Cool Spot added to my collection, now I think I just need Sonic 3D Blast to complete the "games we used to have before the yard sale", except for the ones that weren't very good anyway.

• Like 1

Haven't been posting lately, but I have been watching everyone's scores! This is several weeks worth of finds (maybe months? :ponder: )

In no particular order:

post-12780-0-35304400-1368316511_thumb.jpg

From a couple of different toy shows and antique shows, some cool hand helds.

The pinball game was $15, the boxing game was $8 and the Mini Arcade was $15

post-12780-0-20840200-1368316512_thumb.jpg

Flea market, $10, about the cheapest Pong clone you've ever seen, and it's from like 1983!

post-12780-0-75762000-1368316508_thumb.jpg

Flea markets and yard sales

Bart VS Space Mutants $2.00

TG16 Time Ball and GBA Mario Kart - $5 each

GBA Zelda and NDS Personal Trainer Cooking - $1 each (nice deal on Zelda!)

post-12780-0-86119500-1368316507_thumb.jpgpost-12780-0-86142000-1368316506_thumb.jpg

Got this whole lot with Nerf case for $25 at a yard sale today

post-12780-0-51105100-1368316510_thumb.jpgpost-12780-0-80611500-1368316513_thumb.jpg

10 Gameboy games from a Goodwill for $2 each (I know, Goodwill?)

post-12780-0-64686300-1368316509_thumb.jpgpost-12780-0-03947300-1368316513_thumb.jpg

This lot from another yard sale today, $17 total

post-12780-0-00764600-1368316517_thumb.jpgpost-12780-0-87646000-1368316517_thumb.jpg

Nice Genesis lot from a yard sale with all hookups, three controllers, and 10 complete games including Contra Hard Corps for $5.00!

post-12780-0-14928300-1368316516_thumb.jpg

Yard sale - sweet Wall-E interactive toy. No remote though, but still cool for $5. Without remote, they go for $50 on ebay, with remote over $100, and that's loose and played with.

post-12780-0-79324600-1368316505_thumb.jpg

Fully functional Wii with power supply (and SURPRISE, New Super Mario Bros - didn't know that was in there until I got home) no AV cable (I have an extra) or controllers, but it was in great shape and only $30! Being my "extra" Wii, I will give soft modding this one a shot and see how the emulation is.

I've also picked up the usual stuff like CD's and movies, including some cheap Criterion Collection sets.

So far, not a bad summer, just wish I could find some Atari stuff!

• Like 4

Being my "extra" Wii, I will give soft modding this one a shot and see how the emulation is.

Most of it's really great. If you have it hooked up to an analogue TV, a lot of the emus (SMS, GG, Genesis, NES, SNES, maybe N64?) will run in the correct video modes, looking pretty darn close to the real thing.

Of course, getting a "real deal" controller is a whole different matter.

Most of it's really great. If you have it hooked up to an analogue TV, a lot of the emus (SMS, GG, Genesis, NES, SNES, maybe N64?) will run in the correct video modes, looking pretty darn close to the real thing.

Of course, getting a "real deal" controller is a whole different matter.

What I want to try is using that Gamecube to Playstation adapter with my Capcom PS gamepad. It's basically just like a cross between a Genesis and SNES controller anyway!

post-12780-0-46419500-1368318704_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

What I want to try is using that Gamecube to Playstation adapter with my Capcom PS gamepad.

That might work. I don't have any "____ to GameCube" adapters, so I'm limited to Wiimote and Classic Controller. It works fine for most emus, obviously Genesis is going to be lacking, and some N64 games (like the THQ wrestling games, and the two Castlevania games) use the C buttons as actual buttons instead of a second d-pad, but also I dislike having to rely on batteries all of the time.

post-12780-0-35304400-1368316511_thumb.jpg

From a couple of different toy shows and antique shows, some cool hand helds.

The pinball game was $15, the boxing game was $8 and the Mini Arcade was $15

I have one of the mini arcade... entirely mechanical. Unfortunately, I still haven't gotten my example working.

A local collector contacted me through my youtube channel, noticing that I had made a video about my Master System being on the fritz and my desire to reaquire a Power Base Converter. After about a month of back and forth and getting our schedules to coincide, I finally made the trade for $20, a pair of black coco joysticks and a copy of color baseball.

Works great and glad to have one of these again. I'm finally able to play SMS Rampage again :)

post-2493-0-21101600-1368476641_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Technically not a thrift store find because I bought it on Amazon but the seller was goodwill, I picked up lunar TSS (Sega CD) Complete in box for $30 the case is in decent shape, has back art, instruction book, the CD is in very good condition (except for a few edge scratches from where it wasn't secure during shipping, but no scratches where the data is).

Picked up 3 like new n64 controllers for $0.99 a piece in a Columbus OH thrift store.

But other then that not much here lately, have to go out of town to find much of anything in a thrift store.

Edited by madmax2069

Picked this up for $3. I needed to replace the battery connectors (one of them was literally missing a terminal), and the playfield was covered in stickers and sticker residue, but as you can see, it cleaned up very nicely. It even still has the battery cover.

post-8107-0-24834300-1368503710_thumb.jpg

• Like 2