IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Here's the main feature:

vcs_games_3.jpg

Other shots will be in the collection forum.

Oh, that's the rarity 4 non-Netlink Virtual On and its twin stick for the Saturn and a Voodoo 5 5500 AGP that I used as a "backdrop".

The Virtual On set cost me $100 new, the video card was given to me, Yars' Revenge cost $2.50 at a flea market (the dealer now refuses to adjust pricing), and Sea Hawk and Ghost Manor were in that box I purchased today for $3 at a different flea market.

just found out today passing by that my local super flea is now an official dirt mall and open 6 days a week!. so now I have no excuse to do some thrifting out yonder.. I wonder if that dude is still up there selling video game stuff :ponder:

this is really nice considering.. beforethe place was only open weekends.. and I happen to be the weekend guy at the brewery so I could never get out there

Well, I have a car of my own now - so the thrifts better watch out! I hit 2 Goodwills - nothing but a copy of SMB/Duck Hunt. Today - I hit the Salvation Army and was told they had boxes of games last week but I missed them - they had a few left and I found two of my most wanted games - Ms Pac Man and Ecco Jr for the Genesis. Neither had boxes/instructions, but I don't care - I've also wanted to try Ecco Jr and had heard the Genesis Ms Pacman was great. They were 1.99 each.

Edited to add: Just got Mario 2 there for $2 as well - completed my Mario trilogy!

Edited by n8littlefield

I haven't been thrift store shopping in a while, and I'm glad I got out of the house and did some.

Quickshot Professional Atari compatible joystick, $2.92.

EPYX 500XJ Atari joystick, $2.92.

Activision TV Games 10-in-1 joypad, $2.92.

Sega Master System Control Stick (for conversion into an Atari 7800 stick), $4.95.

CIB Orb 3D for the NES, $3.93.

CIB Odyssey2 Armored Encounter!/Sub Chase!, $2.92.

Fighting Vipers for the Sega Saturn, $4.94.

Blue Stinger for the Sega Dreamcast, 65¢.

Samba De Amigo for the Dreamcast, $3.98.

And the big cartridge haul, all loose.

For the Genesis:

Super Battleship

Pirates! Gold

Ex-Mutants

Sega CD RAM Cart

Nobunaga's Ambition

D&D-Warriors of the Eternal Sun

Shadowrun

Risk

"Game Adaptor" (looks like a Japanese import converter)

For the 32X:

Star Wars Arcade

Blackthorne

Brutal-Above the Claw

Virtua Fighter

Knuckles Chaotix

All of the carts were $1.91, except for the Game Adaptor, which was 65¢.

I passed on an Atari 130XE for $3.99, and an Atari thermal printer for $3.99, since I already have a 130XE, and I have too many printers to count. And I unfortunately didn't find the Y-adapters for the WICO 5200 joysticks I bought a couple weeks ago from one thrift. Either whoever donated their 5200 and the sticks forgot to include them (since they didn't donate any games), or someone might have bought them in the couple weeks since I was there last. Or they could have been trashed by the people at the thrift. Either way, I have some WICO 5200 sticks that I can't use.

Today @ yard sales and thrifts.

NES games all loose $3.00 each :sad:

Karate Champ

Dragon Power

Seicross

City Connection

Sesame Street ABC/123

Double Strike

Super Mario 2

World Champ

Slalom

And two handhelds (my first) $.50 each

Mattel Baseball w/ instructions

Conic Electronic Football w/ instructions

Not a bad day. ;)

Edited by Wester

Great deal on the Amiga 1000! The Amiga is such an awesome computer, I really miss it. What I like is that it was made in '85-86 and remained largely compatible with the Amiga stuff that came out even ten years later. Great ol' machine...

This week I found a couple of Dreamcast controllers for $1 each (with memory cards). THey also had an Atari Junior with Missile Command and Ms. Pac for $15 which I passed on. The highlight is that I found something mighty weird. It's an oscillating fan that bears more than a passing resemblance to Nintendo's R.O.B.

post-152-1121623007_thumb.jpg

And for no reason at all, how about an upholstered Beta VCR?

post-152-1121623188_thumb.jpg

Well, that Amiga 1000 is pretty much worthless without any floppy disks. When you turn the machine on, you have to load a floppy into the machine with a version of Kickstart (I think it's only compatible up to Kickstart 1.3, but I'm not sure) you won't get the machine to do anything useful.

I still have an Amiga 1000, but I don't think most of my disks are any good. They've gotten so much dust and junk all over them, I doubt they'll work. Of course, I haven't run the thing in about seven or eight years. I played the hell out of mine, and aquired hundreds of games for it. It was a great machine, and there were so many impressive games for it, it was hard not to love the thing.

Got today to a local second hand game shop and got the following games:

Bobby is going home from Bit

Mr. Postman from bit

Reever Raad II Taiwan clone

Cosmic Creeps from Telesys

Nuts from technovision

Stargate from Atati silver label

And a 2 pak special: with Dolphin and Pigs 'n Wolf.

All for 35 euro

Well, that Amiga 1000 is pretty much worthless without any floppy disks. When you turn the machine on, you have to load a floppy into the machine with a version of Kickstart (I think it's only compatible up to Kickstart 1.3, but I'm not sure) you won't get the machine to do anything useful.

893489[/snapback]

I know, I've been searching for disks since I got it. Do you know if they can be copied? I heard some of the games don't require a Kickstart disk to run. I don't know much about it I just though it would be neat to have.

If anyone out there has extra copies of the Kickstart disk or any game disks let me know, I would love to see this thing work.

On a related note I am also looking for Coco 2 stuff I have 2 coco's with diskdrives and nothing to play on them.

Edited by elliott

If I run into any Amiga disks I'll let you know. I have a buttload of Amiga stuff around - I used to use them for my video production business, and I've had pretty much all models at one time or another. all my Amiga stuff is in deep storage, so it'll probably be a long time before that stuff resurfaces.

Amiga disks can all be copied through the use of disk nibblers like Xcopy. Most apps and the OS disks weren't copy protected so you can copy those willy-nilly.

Your 1000 will likely have the 1.2 OS. There was a special board that came out later that let you install the newer OS chips and flip between them for game compatibility. I've got one of those suckers, and it is way cool.

Yep, you can copy Kickstart disks. I've done it in the past.

Went to a computer outlet store that's closing down yesterday, and bought a shrinkwrapped copy of Shove It: The Warehouse Game for the Sega Genesis, and a banged up copy of Thunderstrike 2 for the Sega Saturn along with a bunch of mailing envelopes, total of $5.20 for everything. That store had loads of sealed copies of Shove It for some reason.

I got a load of free stuff from a friend yesterday.

I got a Super Nintendo with a Controller and Power pack.

2 64 Games

3 PS2 Controller

2 XBOX Controllers, one is wireless

a XBOX Rf Switch

a 64 controller

and some other cords and stuff

11 Atari 2600 carts at a Salvation Army, 75 cents each:

Air Sea Battle pic

Boxing taiwan cooper

Brain Games text

Circus Atari pic

Codebreaker text

Flag Capture text

Home Run text

Math Gran Prix pic

Miniature Golf text

Surround #text, end label missing

Video Olympics pic label

(For the curious: you can tell the #text carts without an end label because they also do not tell the controller type on the main label.)

It's been a while since I posted so...

NES Finds

Excitebike $2 @ Community Thrift (June)

Wrath of the Black Manta and River City Ransom $3 each @ Norman Salvation Army (07-05-05)

Magmax $2 and grey Zapper gun $2 each @ Bargain Thrift (07-09-05)

SNES Finds

Mechwarrior

Mechwarrior 3050

Wing Commander

Wing Commander the Secret Missions

Vortex

$2 each at Bargain Thrift (07-16-05)

Well, as of the last couple weeks or so I havn't really found much of note in video games.... but I did find a couple other things intersting..... I got a nifty little JVC boombox with detatchable speakers and a detatchable tape deck and a frontloading Zenith Hi-Fi VCR.

The boombox's tape deck was in need of repair...after looking online, I've found it to be a rather rare little stereo so I thought why not and took it in for repairs.

The VCR is really sweet... I plugged it in, hooked it up, and popped a tape in and found myself wondering what the previous owner was smoking when they dumped it on goodwill.. This thing has awsome picture/sound quality and a very good tuner that gets channels off my crappy cable signal better than just about any other TV or VCR in the house.

post-210-1122024349_thumb.jpg

post-210-1122024369_thumb.jpg

post-210-1122024393_thumb.jpg

Oh yeah! I remember that Zenith had a couple of VCR's that loaded VHS cassettes sideways. It was a space saving measure. They even had a vertical VCR that was pretty sweet!

And speaking of sweet, I love that boom box. I have a little collection of boom boxes going, but nothing quite that sweet. Then again...

post-152-1122047088_thumb.jpg

:D

If you're into boombox collecting, there is an amazing online forum with guys who post pictures of their boombox finds. It's Stereo2Go.com and showcases the amazing range of boomboxes from around the world. Among those collectors, sometimes the audio quality matters less than its sheer size and number of dials and meters! If you guys really want to relive the 70's and 80's, it's worth a visit!

Oh yeah!  I remember that Zenith had a couple of VCR's that loaded VHS cassettes sideways.  It was a space saving measure.  They even had a vertical VCR that was pretty sweet!

And speaking of sweet, I love that boom box.  I have a little collection of boom boxes going, but nothing quite that sweet.  Then again...

post-152-1122047088_thumb.jpg

:D

If you're into boombox collecting, there is an amazing online forum with guys who post pictures of their boombox finds.  It's Stereo2Go.com and showcases the amazing range of boomboxes from around the world.  Among those collectors, sometimes the audio quality matters less than its sheer size and number of dials and meters!  If you guys really want to relive the 70's and 80's, it's worth a visit!

896439[/snapback]

Oh, I can't get into boombox collecting really, too little space....all filled up with games that seem to be multiplying..but one or two isn't bad.... unfortunatly I found a Post-it-note on my comptuer after work tonight saying that the repair shop called and said it had too much damage inside it to be repaired(the previous owner had opened it) so I have to go pick it up still broken when I get a chance next week... :(

And I'm already a member of stereo2go..

893489[/snapback]

Seems like you should be able to find some Kickstart disk images on the web. Plus, the 1000 is a great machine for your collection... should have embossed signatures of all the Amiga designers under the top of the case. Hope you get it working, there are some great games for it...

Edited by hookem

893222[/snapback]

Those Beta VCRs have been selling pretty well on ebay.. I added them to my thrift "watch list" long ago, but have yet to come across one. Back in the day, our family had several of them (we were late adopters, what can I say?)

893222[/snapback]

Those Beta VCRs have been selling pretty well on ebay.. I added them to my thrift "watch list" long ago, but have yet to come across one.

896891[/snapback]

You mean that you are looking for this specific model? I wonder if it's the uber cheeziness of the vinyl that makes it more valuable, or that it happens to also be a good unit. Don't Beta decks tend to start at $50 or so on Ebay?

It's the first time I've ever seen anything remotely like this one. In all of my thrifting, I've seen very few Beta decks overall. I never had one, but lots of my friends did and they have great oild crap taped off TV that I'd really like to see. I'm hoping that eventually one of these decks will actually work.

This monster is the newest-looking of all the I've brought home, so I'm hoping that it still actually does stuff - like play the Beta copy of "1984" that I picked up on the same day. :)