IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Earlier in the week I picked up an Acclaim "Double Player" System controller and an NES MAX Controller at my local Salvation Army for .99 together in one lot. Later that day at the local Good Will I picked up a Nintendo 64 Cartridge storage system.

--James

Here they are:

post-5435-1118284991_thumb.jpg

post-5435-1118285168_thumb.jpg

post-5435-1118285259_thumb.jpg

Today, I picked up a pair of 2600 Driving controllers, $1.91 each, a TI-99/4A Home Computer dual cassette cable (What? Your computer has two cassette decks attached to it? Swanky!) for 95¢, an unopened Logitech QuickCam USB for $4.94, and a book on cassette of Douglas Adams's Starship Titanic, $1.91.

I passed on a Genesis with the Master System Convertor attached to it, since I already have one, and I also couldn't find the price tag on it anywhere. There was an empty box nearby that looked like it held the console and all the wires and controllers, but the box was only marked $4.95, and that didn't seem like the right price, so I didn't bother throwing it all inside the box and attempt to pick it up for that price.

Today, I picked up a pair of 2600 Driving controllers, $1.91 each, a TI-99/4A Home Computer dual cassette cable (What? Your computer has two cassette decks attached to it? Swanky!) for 95¢, an unopened Logitech QuickCam USB for $4.94, and a book on cassette of Douglas Adams's Starship Titanic, $1.91.

I passed on a Genesis with the Master System Convertor attached to it, since I already have one, and I also couldn't find the price tag on it anywhere. There was an empty box nearby that looked like it held the console and all the wires and controllers, but the box was only marked $4.95, and that didn't seem like the right price, so I didn't bother throwing it all inside the box and attempt to pick it up for that price.

871516[/snapback]

oh.. I would've dropped that genny in that bx and taken it to the front counter.. just becouse EB games sell complete packaged gennys for $30+ don't meen the thrifts are.. and besides.. I have like .. three of the things that people have just givin to me.. damn things are every where!

all the other stuff.. nice haul!

Well, I was hoping that the QuickCam would be OS X compatible, but it isn't. :( I don't have a webcam hooked up to my Mac (but then again, I really don't have much use for one) so I thought I'd try this one out. I guess the only thing I can do is track down some kind of universal driver. Logitech's web site was no help. Maybe Apple's iSight beta software might work......

Well, I was hoping that the QuickCam would be OS X compatible, but it isn't.  :(  I don't have a webcam hooked up to my Mac (but then again, I really don't have much use for one) so I thought I'd try this one out. I guess the only thing I can do is track down some kind of universal driver. Logitech's web site was no help. Maybe Apple's iSight beta software might work......

871756[/snapback]

I'd try looking for third party drivers on www.versiontracker.com .

I found some nifty stuff today. :D

The NES games were $1.99 each

Genesis games $2.99 each

SNES with two controllers was $12.99

Saturn wheel was $2.99

The two other SNES pads and the Apple II joystick: 99cents each.

Oh yes... and something non-game related that I've been looking for. :D

I've always wanted a working AM/FM clock radio with a flip-clock display: $3.99

post-210-1118382519_thumb.jpg

post-210-1118382555_thumb.jpg

post-210-1118382569_thumb.jpg

Well, I was hoping that the QuickCam would be OS X compatible, but it isn't.  :(  I don't have a webcam hooked up to my Mac (but then again, I really don't have much use for one) so I thought I'd try this one out. I guess the only thing I can do is track down some kind of universal driver. Logitech's web site was no help. Maybe Apple's iSight beta software might work......

871756[/snapback]

I'd try looking for third party drivers on www.versiontracker.com .

871826[/snapback]

That's the first place I looked. I did a search for QuickCam, and all I found was Logitech's OS X drivers for some other cams. When I tried installing the software, it told me my camera wasn't supported. :sad:

What version of Atlantis do you have there? Is it for the Intellivision, or for the Odyssey2? Either way, good find! Not something you come across every day.

I stopped at a thrift that's near where I work when I got off today, and found a few 3D0 games. Way of the Warrior, Psychic Detective, Hell: A Cyberpunk Thriller, Out of this World, and The Daedalus Encounter. $2.98 each for the multi-CD titles, and $1.48 each for the others. Now all I need to do is find a 3D0 to play them on......

What version of Atlantis do you have there? Is it for the Intellivision, or for the Odyssey2? Either way, good find! Not something you come across every day.

It's for Intellivision. It's the second boxed copy of Atlantis for INTV that I've found while thrifting. :)

Try looking for something called "macam". It'll at least let you see that the camera works.

And iChat won't use it without a proper driver.

Commodore 64 with power supply and manual

Disk drive with power cable, data cable, manual and demo disk

Printer " "

A bunch of 5 1/4 floppies with games

2 EA original games

Epyx Fastload cart with manual

Word Writer with manuals

all for 5 bucks :)

post-219-1118517972_thumb.jpg

Try looking for something called "macam". It'll at least let you see that the camera works.

And iChat won't use it without a proper driver.

872558[/snapback]

Macam worked! Thanks!

I was thinking about the early beta version of iSight. I remember a lot of reports of it working with pretty much any webcam that was hooked up to your machine.

Hey Osbo, nice find for $5! I'd love to find an entire C64 system for $5! Congrats!

I've always thought that Virtual Boy was an unfairly maligned system.  Then again, I never had the dizziness etc. that people complain about.  It's a great system to collect for since you can still get sealed games for it pretty cheap - and the Japanese labeled carts work just fine in a US Virtual Boy,

I've got the entire US collection complete, and eight Japanese titles complete of the eight or nine that were sold by EB. (All eight were also released in US versions.) I've even got not one, but two shrinkwrapped copies of Waterworld. And a Blockbuster store display unit.

870221[/snapback]

You're killing me! I would love to pick up the rest of the US games, I've got something like a dozen or so (though thinking about it, some might be Japanese versions). I keep hoping that someone will hack a multicart or a Cuttlecart type device so I can even play the rare titles.

The store display sounds awesome! Is it the same as the ones they used to have a Toys R' Us? The one that looked like a periscope?

I wish that I had one of the BB carrying cases for the Virtual Boy, since it's such a weird shaped thing... Oh, and one of the store signs with the "infinity" mirror effect.

From seeing your posts here and elsewhere on AA, you clearly have some cherry collection, Bruce! :D Where did you score that Waterworld, anyway? Isn't that one super-rare?

The store display sounds awesome!  Is it the same as the ones they used to have a Toys R' Us?  The one that looked like a periscope?

I wish that I had one of the BB carrying cases for the Virtual Boy, since it's such a weird shaped thing...  Oh, and one of the store signs with the "infinity" mirror effect.

From seeing your posts here and elsewhere on AA, you clearly have some cherry collection, Bruce!  :D  Where did you score that Waterworld, anyway?  Isn't that one super-rare?

The Blockbuster demo unit is completely different. It's hard to describe, and I can't find a picture with Google, but it's got a sloped base and a better stand than the consumer version. The only problem with the stand is that it doesn't work right unless you lock the part which keeps people from stealing the game cartridge. And the only reason someone hadn't already bought the one I got was that the BB store had lost the key. From a quick search on Google, it looks like I got it for ten bucks and had to tape the locking mechanism shut. I guess I'll have to take a picture of it someday. It's in my stuff somewhere.

As for the carts, I got them all back in the day, mostly from EB, and most of the rest from Blockbuster used bins. At about this time I got like 15 or so Saturn Christmas Nights demo discs too, most with the original sleeve, and most for $1 or $2 each. I love demo discs, and there's not a lot that I can pass up at a buck or two each.

The pair of Waterworld carts were a lucky find in a bin of VB carts at a Toys R Us. $6 each, and I damn well knew they were the rarest US game at the time (for some reason, Jack Bros is now considered rarer by DP). I already had a loose WW at the time, and I don't remember if it had instructions.

I guess it's time to go dig out my VB collection in the next week or two.

went out to chop suey books.. and sold off some of the library that was just lieing around taking up space.. they only wanted one book.. so that trip only netted my $1.. so going back by fantastic thrift.. one of my favorites.. to drop off the left overs.. I had to step inside..

dry...

there was a colecovision there.. I was surpised.. but it was missing a controller, and the required power brick... I allready have one.. didn't have the $8 they were asking.. so I passed..

also in the pile of electronics.. was what initially looked like a PS1.. on closer inspection.. it was a FS1.. i just busted it out laughing at this damn thing! it was I think.. a Genny on a chip.. in a playstation case.. I meen.. even the the insgnia looked like the playstation logo.. except it was FS (Fun station) instead of playstation.. even the controller was a rip off.. and when you pressed the "open button on top of the case.. teh clam shell opened up to show a cart port! :rofl:

I allready have three gennys...

so that little stop was a bust.. I was broke anyways...

so I get home.. and a freind has dropped off for me.. a genny cart of toejam and earl... while not particualry rare.. a very saught after tittle.. he wanted me to have it becouse He knows I would appreciate it... play it.. and he knew where to go to play it again if he wanted to

so that's todays schinagins