IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

I hit Maxwell Street in Chicago today. What's now called The Maxweel Street Fair is a massive open-air market dating back to before the depression. It's been severely curtailed by the city in the last few years, but there are still lots of good deals.

They had TONS of N64's, SNES, PS, Famiclones, and stuff for new systems as well. There were only one or two NES units and games (which surprised me), a few Saturn (think I bought one for $2) and Sega CD games, and a whole display unit with Odyssey 2 boxed games. I had all of the O2 carts he was offering, but it was nice to see some true classics at Maxwell Street. No 2600 I'm afraid to say...

So if you're in the Chicago area, it may be well worth it to you to get up really early on a Sunday and scoot on down to Maxwell Street and see what's up. Things are still quite good for the avod gamer.

I am no longer going to attend my local flea market after the horrible experience I had. Half of the vendors I frequent had left. The place was filled with people who couldn't understand me for they didn't speak English. The place reeked of burnt cheese and was filled with more of this artsy-crap where people hot glued a bunch of crap together.

Anyway, for a good while I will not be attending it. I did however find gold at the local Salvation Army. I found a sealed episode 2 on DVD for 1.99. I had to replace my old one, after "something" happened to it.

I didn't really find anything else, except some Avalon Hill bookcase games, and that brings me to the question, does anybody collect these, or have these for sale?

--James

Well, I went out today and picked up two bags of miscellaneous crap at Goodwill for 2.95 each. One bag was an RF Adaptor, SMB/DH, Godzilla and 2 NES controllers in great shape and a zapper (which I needed). The other was Ecco Jr, Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles (with broken door thingy), Subterrania, Quarterback Club and Frogger along with a 3 button Genny controller and a 3rd party 6 button.

I was pretty pleased, my NES only came w/ one good controller and no working gun, so it was a good day.

Not sure what they've got, but an Uptown Thrift store on SE 15th in Midwest City, OK had several Atari games last month. They also had a couple of CV games.

The other Uptown Thrift at 74th and Penn had a whole stack of boxed Intellvision games.

I see that this stuff moves slow a lot of times.

If you're near OKC and you collect Intellivision stuff, go take a look!

Saturday I picked up a CIB SNES Superscope, and 6 boxed snes games (some cib, some just box and game) and 3 loose games (I can't remember the titles right now) for $20.

At Goodwill this Saturday just, I almost had a MIB SNES Super Scope for $6. Unitl I got to the cash and the lady looking bewildered proceeded to inform me that it was mis-priced and should be $25! $25 at Goodwill, people!

I raised the biggest stink I could without embarrassing myself - ranting about improper pricing and incompetence. Before storming out - and this is the best part guys - I saw they had a Genny with Madden and NHL 95 behind glass for a whopping $40.

We've been discovered and I fear the days of vid-thrifting may be dying sooner than you think

Edited by figgler

I finally got to hit a thrift store in a little town near to where my sister lives in Louisiana, and I managed to get there in the few hours a week that they're open (Tuesdays, 9am to noon). I bought 4 NES games, all educational kid's games, 50¢ each.

I didn't find much down there, or on the drive back. I paid 99¢ for a copy of Crazy Taxi for the DC, but $4.99 for a copy of a TMNT game for the GameBoy in a Goodwill.

Today, out making the rounds, I bought:

Penguin Land, Altered Beast, SpellCaster, Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap, Double Dragon, and Kenseiden for the Sega Master System, all between $3.93 and $4.94. I passed on a dozen or so other SMS games and Game Gear games, and on a Game Gear and the Master System. I would have bought the SMS console if there were a pair of 3D glasses with it, but no. :sad:

A bag containing an Atari XL computer, a disk drive, and all the cables and power supplies and stuff, $15.99.

A Tandy TRS-80 Videotex console, $4.99. It looks like an early silver TRS-80 Color Computer, but all the ports on it are sealed off except the power supply and telephone plug. It came with some pamphlets and books, so I need to read up on this thing. I really bought it because it was something I hadn't seen before.

I also passed on a SNES. I was excited when I opened up this big black plastic storage case looking thing, and found it loaded with games and a severely yellowed console with all the hookups and controllers. There were a couple of Star Wars games, Starfox, SSF Turbo, and a bunch of others. The entire thing was marked at $12.99. I was about to snatch it up, when I remembered that I've never wanted to own a SNES. If anyone in Arlington, TX wants it, it's at the Texas Thrift Store on Pioneer Parkway, on the bottom shelf.

Edited by SteveW

OH MAN! Today was a very good day to be in a yard sale here in Brooklyn NY I was on a huge yard sale that was two parking lot long near a mall and there I found many yard sellers with many old consoles durt cheap! In all I spend like over $80 and took me like three trips back and forts to get the stuff I found. Here's the list I have so far.

Atari Pong (Missing Bettarty Cover).

Atari 2600 (Darth Vader) + Games.

Atari 5200 (One Controller) +Games.

Atari 7800 (In Box) + 5 Games.

Intellivision + Box Games.

Colecovision (With Wheel & 2600 Atapter) + Games.

Nintendo NES (With ROB, Two Guns, Foot Pad) + Games.

Nintendo Powers Old Mags.

Gameboy (With GB Carring Case) + Games.

Nintendo N64 X 2 + Games.

Turbo Grafx 16 (In Box) + Games.

Sega Dreamcast (In Box)

Sega CD Lethal Enforcers Gon (In Box).

I have more photos and Ill be posting them soon on my Yard Sale Page. .^_^

post-5587-1123371057_thumb.jpg

post-5587-1123371078_thumb.jpg

post-5587-1123371112_thumb.jpg

post-5587-1123371136_thumb.jpg

post-5587-1123371159_thumb.jpg

Edited by Atariboy2600

Picked up yesterday.

2 NES decks (one looks like it was in a fire)

3 NES controllers, 2 P/S, 1 RF cable

3 2600 controllers

Games

loose NES Zelda

loose SMS Rocky

Loose Intelly Tron Deadly Discs

Boxed games:

Texas Instruments Blackjack & Poker

Texas Instruments The Attack

Texas Instruments Car Wars

Texas Instruments TI Invaders

Two Books

How to Win at Nintendo vol.1 & vol 2 By Jeff Rovin

All for $3

The TI games will probably be going to the trade forum soon if anyone is interested.

Edited by Wester

Found the original Game Boy release of Qix, complete in its box. And it really was complete; the manual, the cart protector case, and even the plastic baggy the cart came in were all here. Only $5 at Goodwill.

Of course, this same Goodwill has a Genesis 1 console they are trying to extract $25 from. Yep, they are definitely trying to cash in on video game collecting, but at least they haven't gotten to the point where they're looking up prices on individual games.

Of course, this same Goodwill has a Genesis 1 console they are trying to extract $25 from.  Yep, they are definitely trying to cash in on video game collecting, but at least they haven't gotten to the point where they're looking up prices on individual games.

906215[/snapback]

I went to a big Goodwill while I was vacationing in Florida, the only gaming stuff they had inside was two Genny consoles with cables for $30 each, but then I went outside where they were having a 2for1 sale in the parking lot and they had a Genny with cables, controllers, and a Samurai game (can't remember the name right now) for $7. Picked that one up.

Of course, this same Goodwill has a Genesis 1 console they are trying to extract $25 from.  Yep, they are definitely trying to cash in on video game collecting, but at least they haven't gotten to the point where they're looking up prices on individual games.

906215[/snapback]

I went to a big Goodwill while I was vacationing in Florida, the only gaming stuff they had inside was two Genny consoles with cables for $30 each, but then I went outside where they were having a 2for1 sale in the parking lot and they had a Genny with cables, controllers, and a Samurai game (can't remember the name right now) for $7. Picked that one up.

906226[/snapback]

It's funny how places do crap like that ain't it? I frequent this shop at the flea market and its mother company in the city and they do stuff like that all the time. They have a couple cases of Sega Genesis Sports titles that they have left over from back in the Genesis's hey-day and they are still marked as such, but they have the same or similar games in a new case, in the same condition for the Genesis and they want considerably less, like 2.99 or what ever. I think they are both overpriced for what they are, but I always ask them "what’s the difference?" They usually just laugh and say they haven’t got around to re-pricing them, but last weekend they say that they paid higher prices for those games, but these that are in the newer case they got recently from trade ins and whatever, they say that they can let those go fro less seeing as how they paid less for them.

I think its kind of messed up, but hey, what ain't?

--James

I have a question about this post title topic forum area zone. Is it to just post video-game related finds, or can it be a place to talk about the general finds we have and the kinds of area we find and operate in? We have kind of generalized our finds and messages and such. I talk a lot about stores in here, as I love to see what people have found, but always don't have video games related finds.

Like, I found a Polaroid Camera at my local Good Will for a whopping 1.25 tax included for some reason. It works great. Even had some old yellowed film in it, I quickly shot up.

Is that "legal" to post in here, I mean seeing as how this is a generalized topic forum, but it is a video game website?

Whatever the outcome of this unneeded inquiry is, I'll still post in here.

--James

I have a question about this post title topic forum area zone. Is it to just post video-game related finds, or can it be a place to talk about the general finds we have and the kinds of area we find and operate in? We have kind of generalized our finds and messages and such. I talk a lot about stores in here, as I love to see what people have found, but always don't have video games related finds.

Like, I found a Polaroid Camera at my local Good Will for a whopping 1.25 tax included for some reason. It works great. Even had some old yellowed film in it, I quickly shot up.

Is that "legal" to post in here, I mean seeing as how this is a generalized topic forum, but it is a video game website?

906253[/snapback]

IMO it should be limited to ATARI video game related items (since this is in fact an Atari-based website), but we have an awful lot of people posting about non-Atari videogame stuff so I may be outside the general consensus. I'm pretty sure your Polaroid camera is well outside the topic of "Classic Gaming General". Of course, the final word belongs to the Als...

While it is an Atari site, I don't think that that anyone has objected to discussing other video game finds for other systems. Personally I am very intersted in hearing about people's finds for other platforms.

I am guilty of also adding in non-videogame finds i I thikn that folks might find them interesting - especially if they deal with 80's leisure culture. I thikn that I raised some eyebrows when I mentioend Beta tapes and Laser Discs and a few of us chatted about that stuff.

My thinking would be that as long as its videogame related, it's kosher. I sam always really happy to read about other people's cool finds even outside the videgame sphere... but again, that's the Al's decision. Here's hoping! :)

Well, videogame related thrift store finds of any variety are okay here, since this thread is in the Classic Gaming General section. I don't see posting some non-game finds in here as being bad at all. Just don't go too far with it, like posting about all the stuffed animals you bought and then posting pictures of them all having tea and drawing word balloons over their heads filled with nonsensical crap, like another member has in the past. :D