IGNORED

Question about Lock N Chase

I just got my first Intellivision (looks like there are a lot of us lately) and have been reading about it. There was a site that said there were 2 versions for the INTV, and the first one was harder to control. I can't find the site again and I was wondering if it is true, and if there is a way to tell the difference?

EDIT: I found another site saying a 4k and 6k version were released, 4k had worse controls and on the 6k, lupin would collapse into his hat after being caught. I can't find any video of the 6k version, does it even exist?

Edited by flammingcowz

There´s an extract of the Intellivision Lives Web paga about this:

lock_box.gif Lock 'N' Chase

INTELLIVISION CARTRIDGE [#5637]

Based on the Data East arcade game

Program: Mike Winans, Julie Hoshizaki

Graphics: Peggi Decarli

Sound: Bill Goodrich

doc.gifInstructions posted here.

lock_screen.gifCATALOG DESCRIPTION

A fast-action chase game as you maneuver your thief through the maze, picking up coins and other treasures. Billy-club swinging cops are in hot pursuit, but you can temporarily escape them by locking gates behind you. The longer you survive, the more valuable the treasures become. One or two players.

PRODUCTION HISTORY

Lock 'N' Chase was the first in a series of conversions based on Data East arcade games, a series that eventually would include Bump 'N' Jump, BurgerTime, Mission X, Thin Ice (based on the arcade game Disco No. 1) and the unfinished PizzaTime (a BurgerTime sequel). The association carried over to INTV Corporation, which did Commando and Diner (another BurgerTime sequel).

Mike Winans almost killed himself trying to fit the game into 4K. He finally proclaimed it couldn't be done and, reluctantly, 6K was authorized. Mike managed to just squeeze it into the 6K, although the control of Lupin wasn't ideal. (In the arcade game, the thief is named Lupin, a nice touch of personality that Mattel left out of our version.)

When the game was released, press and customers complained about how difficult it was to control Lupin. (You had to time turns precisely, or Lupin would stop dead.) The problem was considered bad enough that a running change was ordered: after the 6K cartridges were sold out, improved 8K versions would be released. By this time, Mike had transferred to the Design & Development department, so Julie Hoshizaki was assigned to make the improvement. The improved versions aren't marked on the package; the easiest way to tell if you have an improved version is to watch what happens when a cop catches Lupin. In the arcade game, Lupin collapses into his hat -- an animation there wasn't room for in the 6K version. The collapsing animation is in the 8K version.

An M Network Atari 2600 version and an Apple II version were also released. IBM PC and Aquarius versions were announced, but never completed.

You can found it here:

My link

But according with the Intvfunhouse web, the rom Variaton of 8k had never been spotted, but the site had been out of updates recently.

Intvfunhouse

Welcome to the intellivision, you will find a very cool system to play and collect!

• Like 1

Welcome to the Intellivision owners club. You are going to enjoy it, I am sure. Just do not expect the disc controllers to act anything like a joystick and all will go well. Remember, rocking and/or spinning motion, not side to side or up and down like a joystick. ;)

As for Lock N Chase, I wasn't aware of differing INTV releases, but can say that the Atari VCS version of that game was one of my favorites on that system. I have it for INTV as well, but just don't play it as much.

Welcome to the Intellivision owners club. You are going to enjoy it, I am sure. Just do not expect the disc controllers to act anything like a joystick and all will go well. Remember, rocking and/or spinning motion, not side to side or up and down like a joystick. ;)

As for Lock N Chase, I wasn't aware of differing INTV releases, but can say that the Atari VCS version of that game was one of my favorites on that system. I have it for INTV as well, but just don't play it as much.

Good advice on the controls. That is the problem some people have it treating it like a joystick.

Edited by revolutionika

One of my all time favourite games on any system, I played the hell out of this as a kid and I think it might have been the first game I played when I got an INTV back about 12 years ago. Welcome to our little club and enjoy! :)

I've devoured the internet trying to find this elusive 8k rom. I even found the demo cart that it is supposed to be on, but every emulator crashes either immediately or right after the intellivision home screen.

Other than that, I love the game! My dad had an Intellivision from 1979(test market) until I was a couple of years old. I have always loved classic games and he always talked how great the INTV and lock n chase were. I just had to get one!

The easiest way in the world to tell if u have the 4k or 6k rom is the 6k has both the INTV and Data East Copywrite information at the bottom of the display, while the 4k only has 1.

see this post for the rom file:INTV HSC LNC

the rom is working fine using Nostagia 5

post-25394-0-69531800-1306161592_thumb.jpg

Edited by patbb

• 2 years later...

It is no homebrew. It was from Mattel, and passed around.

I have never seen an 6k (8k) cartridge in the wild. I think the rumour that it was released on cart is wrong.

Well, to make sure I asked about this on the official Intellivision web site and just got word from Keith Robinson:

Yes, this is one of the Intellivision cartridges that had a “running change,” that is, as the inventory of old cartridges ran out, new ones were introduced into the inventory without fanfare.

There is no way to tell if a cartridge is one of the old ones or new ones except by plugging it in and playing it.

So, the search for the elusive 8K variant continues...

Very, very interesting story about LnC!

Decided to pop mine in and sure enough, I have the 4k original. Have had this version for years and never experienced what I would consider "problems with turning". Guess I'm just used to anticipating the turn and pressing the disc in that direction in plenty of time.

Guess my question of determining versions was just answered above. Thought maybe since the title screen only showed one copyright, the label would reflect that as well - but nope. My red labeled LnC has both the Mattel and Data East names on it.

I'd love to try the other version though, so if anyone would care to part with theirs, LMK! I've got some games and stuff for trade here.

No 8k version has ever been found on cartridge. I have Intellivision, Inc. versions that are 4k......when this 'running change' happened is anyone's guess....I don't think it ever was released.

The 8k rom floating about never came from a cartridge.

I have tested no less than 20 Lock n Chase carts....all normal versions. 8k is a myth.

Interesting, perhaps Keith got that fact wrong after all these years, guess it is possible as some history tidbits from the original Intellivision Lives! release had to be corrected on the website. However, if the cart was never produced, where did the ROM come from? Neither of the official compilations feature this game, and there is even one guy who claims to have it in his collection.

Interesting, perhaps Keith got that fact wrong after all these years, guess it is possible as some history tidbits from the original Intellivision Lives! release had to be corrected on the website. However, if the cart was never produced, where did the ROM come from? Neither of the official compilations feature this game, and there is even one guy who claims to have it in his collection.

The fact that both the BSR website and Keith say that a 'updated' 8k rom version exist is proof enough to me that a change was made. However, it's possible that the updated version was never sold. Notice how the BSR website says 'as the inventory ran out'. Perhaps the original 6k version never did sell out? So the ROM for the 8k version would be there, ready to get made into new carts once the original 6k version sold out, but there was never a need. The BSR could have been told by Mattell that 'oh yeah, that version got released' when it never did. And then finally the updated 8k ROM got released on the net.

No 8k version has ever been found on cartridge. I have Intellivision, Inc. versions that are 4k......when this 'running change' happened is anyone's guess....I don't think it ever was released.

The 8k rom floating about never came from a cartridge.

Oh, okay - thanks for the clarification. Was starting to seem like there were so many of the 6k/8k variant released "without fanfare" BITD and all we had to do was check to see who had what. Kind of like Atlantis II for the 2600. :lol:

The fact that both the BSR website and Keith say that a 'updated' 8k rom version exist is proof enough to me that a change was made. However, it's possible that the updated version was never sold. Notice how the BSR website says 'as the inventory ran out'. Perhaps the original 6k version never did sell out? So the ROM for the 8k version would be there, ready to get made into new carts once the original 6k version sold out, but there was never a need. The BSR could have been told by Mattell that 'oh yeah, that version got released' when it never did. And then finally the updated 8k ROM got released on the net.

The ROM exists, there is no doubt. And, it came from a Mattel eprom. It wasn't dumped off of a cartridge. The question is if it ever was released on cartridge, and so far, nobody has been able to produce one, despite what Keith said about a running change in the cartridges. The 8K ROM version was distributed along with a bunch of other unreleased ROMS that have a way of getting passed around. I know where it came from, because I was involved in dumping cartridges back in the 90s. I had I believe, the first ever Intellivision cartridge dumper. It was built by my friend Scott. We dumped my entire Intellivision collection (in the mid 90s), as well as many borrowed carts, and many ROMS including the Exec, ECS Exec and GROM that found their way on to the Intellivision Lives! CD. I had the 8K Lock N Chase ROM at the time, but since I heard it was on cart, I checked every one I could get my hands on, out of curiosity, with no luck. It isn't on cartridge. I'll be shocked if someone finds one. I've been looking for almost 20 years.