IGNORED

Australian Colecovision Championship - 1982 (The Real King of Kong)

vcoleiro1

When I was 14 , I was lucky enough to win a regional Colecovision championship , then the State championship and finally the Australian Colecovision Championship which was televised on a current affair program called Terry Willisee Tonight (TWT).

Probably the second most embarrassing video I have been in, at least I didnt come across as bad as the guy who wore a gold cape and claimed to be Australia's first video games Super Hero.

Real King of Kong stuff.

Apologise for the quality, its off an old VHS tape.

Edited by vcoleiro1
  • Like 5

When I was 14 , I was lucky enough to win a regional Colecovision championship , then the State championship and finally the Australian Colecovision Championship which was televised on a current affair program called Terry Willisee Tonight (TWT).

Probably the second most embarrassing video I have been in, at least I didnt come across as bad as the guy who wore a gold cape and claimed to be Australia's first video games Super Hero.

Real King of Kong stuff.

Apologise for the quality, its off an old VHS tape, also the vid doesnt start until 7 seconds in.

Superb video - thanks for sharing.

Edited by Ikrananka

Cool video.

The MC announced your score as 214,600.

What skill level where you playing?

Cant remember the skill level played, but the score was the aggregate of 3 games which were each played for 8 minutes - Competition rules.

The first game was Donkey Kong then Zaxxon and finally Time Pilot. I remember I top scored on Donkey Kong, bombed a bit on Zaxxon then kicked ass on Time Pilot.

Time Pilot was actually a mystery game which was just released and none off us had practiced it or knew it would be in the comp.

Lucky for me I used to play Time Pilot a lot in the arcades.

Very cool video! :) (I still get baffled trying to figure out how some people can even play the way they hold that controller though! lol)

No kidding, when I saw that one kid with his thumb on the controller knob I couldn't believe he could be any good that way. His thumb must kill him when he is finished.

Plus it is always fun to see someone play goofy(lefty for all you non snowboarders out there)

Very cool video! :) (I still get baffled trying to figure out how some people can even play the way they hold that controller though! lol)

I noticed the same thing about how they were using their thumb to move the controller??? I've heard other people say that this is how they used the controller as well and could never imagine why anyone would ever attempt to use it this way... especially for a competition. To each his own, I guess.

I know my first inkling when I got a CV on X-Mas '82 was to hold the controller knob with my right index finger and thumb... as if I was using an arcade ball-knob.

I noticed the same thing about how they were using their thumb to move the controller??? I've heard other people say that this is how they used the controller as well and could never imagine why anyone would ever attempt to use it this way... especially for a competition. To each his own, I guess.

I know my first inkling when I got a CV on X-Mas '82 was to hold the controller knob with my right index finger and thumb... as if I was using an arcade ball-knob.

I'm one of those Thumbies, i.e. I hold the controller in the palm of my left hand and place my right thumb on top of the joystick to push it. I would rest the top of the controller in the palm of my right hand. Fire buttons would be pushed using my left thumb (left fire button) and left middle finger (right fire button). This just became the natural way to me to use the controller when I first got it back in '82. I will be the first to admit that I still found it uncomfortable to use in long sessions and my thumb would kill me afterwards. Thank goodness for the ball top mods!!!!!

Edited by Ikrananka

Forgot to mention that there was meant to be a World Colecovision Championship. I was told it would be in New York and that they would fly me there for it to represent Australia. Was sooo looking forward to it, but then the video game crash happened, and it all fell through. :(

Does anyone know if those CBS displays were available at stores in Europe?

no in Milan, no in Rome. so, definitively not.

Nor in Denmark, but in Holland (Netherlands) it was good enough.

I was offered this ColecoVision kiosk a few years ago as seen in this Image below. :)

I bought unfortunately not the CV kiosk, it would be very expensive to send to Denmark.

post-9873-0-60629700-1311155207_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

lol! and he wasn't 14 either.

Thanks for uploading that. It was great to watch.

Off the top of my head, I don't remember coming across them in London, myself, but it was a long time ago.

Edited by Knubberrub

no in Milan, no in Rome. so, definitively not.

Nor in Denmark, but in Holland (Netherlands) it was good enough.

I was offered this ColecoVision kiosk a few years ago as seen in this Image below. :)

I bought unfortunately not the CV kiosk, it would be very expensive to send to Denmark.

post-9873-0-60629700-1311155207_thumb.jpg

Sweet!! :D

First time I see this CBS Kiosk

Thanks alot Ole!

+1

I'm one of those Thumbies, i.e. I hold the controller in the palm of my left hand and place my right thumb on top of the joystick to push it. I would rest the top of the controller in the palm of my right hand. Fire buttons would be pushed using my left thumb (left fire button) and left middle finger (right fire button). This just became the natural way to me to use the controller when I first got it back in '82. I will be the first to admit that I still found it uncomfortable to use in long sessions and my thumb would kill me afterwards. Thank goodness for the ball top mods!!!!!

Hmm, I hold the controller in my right hand and grab the joystick with my left index finger and thumb (sometime just the thumb) . Im right handed . I often here people from the US mention they hold the joystick with there right hand, I wonder why that is?

In Australia all arcade machines had the joystick on the left and the buttons on the right. So it would be really alien for me and any Aussie and most others to hold the joystick in the right hand.

• 8 months later...

A lot of people over time have asked me about the guy in the gold cape, I have looked him several times and have never found any reference to him unfortunately. I Have no idea what ever happened to him. If anyone knows anything about him I would interested to know.

Edited by vcoleiro1