IGNORED

Which classic ColecoVision arcade port would you like to see remade?

opcode

The title says it all. If you had to chose one of the original ColecoVision arcade ports to receive a remake, which one would it be? Let's consider both 1st and 3rd party games. Do not forget to say why you would like to see that game remade.

And before someone mentions, "I would prefer original games or new ports" is NOT an option here. We are talking about remakes. :)

Just to have fun...

You know my position, but I'm willing to give an answer based on the parameters of your question.

So, this is my "wish" list of remakes.

Note : Sure, remake of big hits like Donkey Kong Junior and Gorf can be a good idea, but I would prefer a chance to get games I don't have yet because they are so difficult to find.

• Boulder Dash
  • Choplifter
  • Skying

• Dig Dug
  • Joust
  • Moon Patrol

Note : You can keep only those entries that makes sense to you.

As far as remakes of games that were previously made for the ColecoVision, I think if one of the tremendous CV Homebrew programmers tackles such a project that it should be for a game or games that were missing stages from the arcade game... and not just little difference that were left out because of rom space concerns... I'm talking about complete stages being left out. That being said, I would vote for:

:arrow: Gorf

An arcade perfect port of DK Jr. (like what Opcode is doing with DKA) would be great as well, but not as necessary since there is the 4 screen prototype rom available and of course the ADAM versions (both 4 and 5 screen).

As far as games that have control issues like Time Pilot and Venture... to me that's just part of the character of the system and those games. Would I like better versions? Sure! But not at the expense of seeing other games developed that have never seen the light of day on the CV or ADAM such as Donkey Kong 3, Wizard of Wor, Qix, Rip Cord and what's really missing... a good Golf and Bowling game to round out the sports library.

Whatever becomes of this, I am just so jacked to see all the great new products being developed and so thankful to everyone involved for their continued dedication of the CV and ADAM. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Totals so far:

Gorf           8
Time Pilot     5
Buck Rogers    4
Popeye         3
Mr Do!         3
Zaxxon         3
DK Jr          2
Gyruss         2
Q*Bert         2
Cosmic Avenger 2
Frogger
Pepper II
Tutankham
Tapper
Star Wars Arcade
Turbo
Joust       5 (never released)
Moon Patrol 2 (never released)
Dig-Dug     2 (never released)
Phoenix       (never released)
Venture 

Edited by opcode

the question at this point can be :

do we really need a "new" Gorf or we prefer a totally new game ?

Personally I sent PM to all known homebrewers recently as in the past ( John D., Scott H., Luc, JF, Eduardo, the programmers cooperating with JF..) and I follow here all debates where we suggest this and that game and they say, honestly - appreciate that - that they have their own ideas and concepts.

So, I am surprised to see that some of them have the time and the willingness to consider new ports of already existing games...

yes, BIG classics like DK or PACMAN are a "must have" for all of us, aged gamers, also if, may be, we never played or appreciated the original.....

but why we should buy a better version of GORF when exist hundreds of extremely good space shooters of the era 1980 - 1985 that would be totally new to the Colecovision and also do not exist for more or less contemporary systems, from A2600 to NES ?

So, again, and sorry to stress, I would prefer a port of other arcades of the era 1980 - 1985.

GORF not the best conversion ? for sure !

can homebrewers realize now a better version ? yes, they can.

we really can afford with this crisis 50 bucks more for a game we already have, love and appreciate because part of our youth or better to hold them for a totally new game ?

Personally I sent PM to all known homebrewers recently as in the past ( John D., Scott H., Luc, JF, Eduardo, the programmers cooperating with JF..) and I follow here all debates where we suggest this and that game and they say, honestly - appreciate that - that they have their own ideas and concepts.

So, I am surprised to see that some of them have the time and the willingness to consider new ports of already existing games...

yes, BIG classics like DK or PACMAN are a "must have" for all of us, aged gamers, also if, may be, we never played or appreciated the original.....

but why we should buy a better version of GORF when exist hundreds of extremely good space shooters of the era 1980 - 1985 that would be totally new to the Colecovision and also do not exist for more or less contemporary systems, from A2600 to NES ?

So, again, and sorry to stress, I would prefer a port of other arcades of the era 1980 - 1985.

we really can afford with this crisis 50 bucks more for a game we already have, love and appreciate because part of our youth or better to hold them for a totally new game ?

Please read the first post in this thread. Your intervention is exactly the kind of thing that opcode didn't want to see posted. Besides, the "CV port remake vs new game" issue has been debated before, and this thread disregards this debate.

Max,

Why are you assuming we are voting for the next remake? As I said, this is just for fun. I already have a couple of games that I am planning to remake in the hopefully not so distant future, like Time Pilot, but that is because I really like that game.

As a homebrewer, I like to work on games I personally have some interest on, because, you know, it is a lot of work, and if I am not really interested, chances are I will just give up before it is finished. So for example, Gorf isn't a game I am really fond of, and considering it is already available, chances are slim that I would decide to work on that.

However here is some good news for you. I have been working on a port of a fairly well know game, something that is considered a definer in its genre and that has never been ported to any classic console system I am aware of. And I think it was in a wish list of yours. And I am trying hard to have it working on the plain vanilla CV, to be released next year in time for the CV 30th anniversary.

Eduardo

I never liked the arcade version of Gorf - the "clones" (or whatever you call them) of Space Invaders and Galaxian seemed very inferior to me, with the other three games no better. The ship seemed to be too big, and if I remember properly, the controls seemed slow or sluggish.

My vote goes towards Time Pilot, which I loved in the arcade, but not on the CV.

Oh, and I guess I'll be the first to request Donkey Kong in this thread. ;)

Max,

Why are you assuming we are voting for the next remake? As I said, this is just for fun. I already have a couple of games that I am planning to remake in the hopefully not so distant future, like Time Pilot, but that is because I really like that game.

As a homebrewer, I like to work on games I personally have some interest on, because, you know, it is a lot of work, and if I am not really interested, chances are I will just give up before it is finished. So for example, Gorf isn't a game I am really fond of, and considering it is already available, chances are slim that I would decide to work on that.

However here is some good news for you. I have been working on a port of a fairly well know game, something that is considered a definer in its genre and that has never been ported to any classic console system I am aware of. And I think it was in a wish list of yours. And I am trying hard to have it working on the plain vanilla CV, to be released next year in time for the CV 30th anniversary.

Eduardo

have immediately replied you with 20 lines and my pc was off .... destiny. I only wanted to say that my english that I use for business may be sometimes create a language barrier or eventual misunderstandings when used for other. Mine was not a critic, only an input.

Love yr. games and appreciate yr. genius dedicated to this system. There are so many games of my youth I would like ported to Colecovision instead to play them on MAME.....I will follow you. And, again, let me know if u need an official distributor for Europe. There are a lot of collectors here that, for tme most various reasons, do not want to pay with credit card or Paypal...let me know with PM.

And very curious about yr. next games ..... ;)

I'd like to see Zaxxon revisited, with an effort to make it less choppy

Unfortunately that is a near impossible proposition. You can accelerate the scroll, but I cannot see a way to have anything but tile scroll in that game. Unless you reduce colors drastically (to the point of the game becoming monochromatic) and enjoy a very wavy (and slow) pixel scroll.

But the graphics could be vastly improved nevertheless… that is, if you can accept the tile scroll. Sprite movement could also be improved, as the CV port is rather slow compared to the arcade version.