IGNORED

Will you be buying a 3DS after the price drop?

Animan

60 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buying a 3DS after the price drop?

• Yes
    • No
    • I will buy one before the price drop to get those 20 free games.
    • I might buy one.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I Am seriously considering it. I would have gotten it today since I was forced to use all my Best Buy reward zone points because they were expiring but the price drop hasn't happened yet. Star fox, new mario, Luigi's Mansion 2, Mario Kart, and several DS games that I haven't gotten around to playing yet are all reasons I'm looking into it. It would probably be a Christmas gift for my son (if he still wants one by then), I just wouldn't know what to do with my DSi XL that I got him last year.

You should've asked if they'd do a partial refund later if the price drops within a couple of weeks, since it does.

It wasn't a complete loss. I got Mario Galaxy 2 and the new Donkey Kong for $12 after all my points were used. The 3ds would have only been $70 if it had it's price drop though ;(

I just wouldn't know what to do with my DSi XL that I got him last year.

Keep it! :D Keep the XL for regular DS games, yes I know the 3DS can play them too but why bother. :P

Whatever the case I wouldn't want to get rid of a XL at this point, but that may be just me. If XL versions of the 3DS or other future platforms don't come out, I can see it becoming a wanted item.

Good call. I've never been into selling my systems. It's the reason I still have a Virtual Boy lol

I had the chance to play a store demo unit (with some fighting game) last week. This convinced me not to buy one.

I do not have binocular vision, so I can only barely see 3D "in real life" (and so I cannot drive a car, catch a baseball, etc.).

With the 3D setting turned on, the screen just looked really blurry to me. With it turned off, well then I might as well buy another (cheaper) system. :roll:

With the 3D setting turned on, the screen just looked really blurry to me. With it turned off, well then I might as well buy another (cheaper) system. :roll:

The cheaper systems can only play DS games so if that's what you're into (and why not.. there are tons of good DS games) then that's totally the way to go. However it's important to note that even without 3D, the 3DS is a more powerful rig all around. So there are potentially more advanced games available for it.. much like the GBA vs. the GB.

So in other words it might even still be worth considering even if you plan on never using the 3D. I know as of late I've been turning it off most of the time. :lol:

No vote because I already have the machine.

I will say, however, for those that have had poor results from demoing the system, don't bother trying them out in Best Buy or Walmart. I've figured out there's something with the lighting in those stores that just makes the 3DS give you horrible headaches, which tends not to occur in other lighting conditions.

Plus, Pilotwings is a fairly poor game to be demoing the 3DS, although that does appear to be the game Nintendo has chosen to demo the system. I have also seem demo units with some other games. Steel Diver makes a decent demo, but you should play the game expecting an old-school arcade game turned 3D, not a full modern 3D game. I've seen Street Fighter IV, and that's a good game to demo. I have also seen a demo for Asphalt 3D, and that game sucks. Don't base your opinion of the 3DS on Asphalt 3D at all. Instead, check out Ridge Racer 3D. It's head and shoulders above Asphalt 3D in every way imaginable as a arcade-style racing game.

Try a demo unit in a Gamestop or somewhere similar. The lighting in those stores seems to be a bit better. Barring that, find someone that already has one and try their 3DS in environments you're more comfortable in. Since I've owned mine and have played it at home, I have been able to play for hours without any ill effects at all.

I went ahead and bought one since Best Buy told me they would price match it for 30 days. Not sure why I got it now when the games I am interested for it don't come out for a few months but I did. Haven't gotten a chance to do anything with it since it's still charging.

I haven't decided if I want the 20 free games or the refund. The guy at Best Buy told I could do both but I am not sure how I feel about that. If I decide to go the route of the 20 free games can anyone tell me what I have to do to claim those?

Edited by GKC

If I decide to go the route of the 20 free games can anyone tell me what I have to do to claim those?

I think all you have to do is sign up on the 3DS eShop before Aug 12th, so yeah you could do both for sure.

More info....

http://kotaku.com/5825878/how-to-collect-your-20-free-3ds-games-and-maybe-a-little-cash-on-the-side

"So can you take advantage of this ambassador program? Sure, but it's a bit of a gamble. Since the registration is tied to the console it means you're going to want to go to a retail store that price matches (like Best Buy) but is still selling these systems at the inflated prices. Make sure the 3DS will qualify before you buy it. Once the drop hits go back and get your partial refund."

• Like 1

I went ahead and bought one since Best Buy told me they would price match it for 30 days. Not sure why I got it now when the games I am interested in for it don't come out for a few months but I did. Haven't gotten a chance to do anything with it since it's still charging.

I haven't decided if I want the 20 free games or the refund. The guy at Best Buy told I could do both but I am not sure how I feel about that. If I decide to go the route of the 20 free games can anyone tell me what I have to do to claim those?

I was just reading on the IGN boards that the 3ds sold after the 12th will be a different SKU to prevent people from double dipping on the refund and games. If that is true I am going to be pretty pissed especially since I was told by Best Buy they would price match and I was honestly going to do one or the other and was way more leaning towards the refund. If that happens I guess I will just return it and buy a new one???

Not sure why there is a post of a post of mine above me from yesterday.... Still getting use to the iPad I guess.

Edited by GKC

The free games are DLC to me, so there is no value there really. I'll wait until after the price drop and then see what the games look like. I wouldn't mind having Street Fighter for it, I played it for a while already and its ok, but that Street Fighter is hardly enough for me to buy the system for.

They'll probably still do the price alteration. I doubt the different SKU is to prevent price changing. I've read that Wal-Mart will be lowering the price early, just to entice people to buy it there for cheap AND get the bonus games.

Well hopefully. If I had known they wouldn't/couldn't price match it I would have just waited 4 days to get it.

On a different note I was able to sit down with it for a bit last night. From an aesthetics point of view the system itself has a total different look and feel than the ds had and does. It's hard to explain but, to me, it screams Apple more than Nintendo. The included software is fun and, in fact, I found myself playing that for most of the time last night. I downloaded Netflix just because I could and, while it's a good feature, I am not sure of how much I will actually use it on the 3ds since I have it on my TV and, when I am traveling, on my iPad. But it's a free feature so long as you have a Netflix account so how can you complain?

The 3d effect works for me and doesn't strain my eyes but after a while of playing it I kind of forgot at times that everything was in 3d. I am not sure if this is due to the size of the screen or me just getting lost in the games but I found myself having to remind myself that the game I was playing was in 3d. Not a terrible issue especially considering some are having the issue of it making their eyes hurt. I'd rather take it for granted and forget about it then be reminded about it by eye pain.

The games I have are Pilot Wings, RE: Mercenaries and Rayman 3D. I've enjoyed Rayman and Pilot Wings but I haven't gotten a chance to play RE enough at this point to say either way if I like it or don't. I read that people were upset with Rayman because it was a direct port of Rayman 2 (among other complaints) and I am alright with that because I have never played Rayman 2 before. The last round of the Sony vs Nintendo handheld battle I picked the PSP and I hardly ever played the thing. Just last year I got my son a DSi XL and he and I have been enjoying that so this round I picked Nintendo and the 3ds after looking at the up coming games. Hopefully the games this Holiday season won't disapppoint.

Overall, the 3ds is a pretty slick handheld and this is coming from someone who doesn't traditionally enjoy handheld systems and it's not that I hate handheld gaming but it's that I find myself playing them around the home more than any where and I would rather just play a console. $250 is a tough sell (the 20 free games helps a lot though) but $170 is just about right.

Those are my thoughts if anyone cared ;)

Edited by GKC

the 3ds sold after the 12th will be a different SKU

I am hoping the new SKU will have fixes for both the hinged lid causing screen scratches and also the warped D-pad problem.

I am not getting a 3DS till those issues get fixed.

From what I read (and this was word of mouth from an Amazon thread posted on an IGN thread so take it for what it is) there will be nothing different with the 3ds nor will there be anything added to the package. Everything will be the same except the SKU numbers.

*Edit* here is the thread I am referencing in case anyone is interested:

IGN

Edited by GKC

The games I have are Pilot Wings, RE: Mercenaries and Rayman 3D. I've enjoyed Rayman and Pilot Wings but I haven't gotten a chance to play RE enough at this point to say either way if I like it or don't. I read that people were upset with Rayman because it was a direct port of Rayman 2 (among other complaints) and I am alright with that because I have never played Rayman 2 before.

How's Rayman's performance? I played halfway through on my Dreamcast but never finished it. Beautiful game on the DC, though. I was interested in getting it for 3DS but I've heard that it has framerate issues or something, so I haven't picked it up yet.

Glad to hear the 3D works as intended. That's been my experience, too... 3D so seamless that you almost forget what you're seeing. VB was the same way for me; I could really get into it & enjoy it. I see way too many posts from people practically bragging that they either can't see it or that it gives them headaches or makes them incontinent or made their dog run away.

The games I have are Pilot Wings, RE: Mercenaries and Rayman 3D. I've enjoyed Rayman and Pilot Wings but I haven't gotten a chance to play RE enough at this point to say either way if I like it or don't. I read that people were upset with Rayman because it was a direct port of Rayman 2 (among other complaints) and I am alright with that because I have never played Rayman 2 before.

How's Rayman's performance? I played halfway through on my Dreamcast but never finished it. Beautiful game on the DC, though. I was interested in getting it for 3DS but I've heard that it has framerate issues or something, so I haven't picked it up yet.

Glad to hear the 3D works as intended. That's been my experience, too... 3D so seamless that you almost forget what you're seeing. VB was the same way for me; I could really get into it & enjoy it. I see way too many posts from people practically bragging that they either can't see it or that it gives them headaches or makes them incontinent or made their dog run away.

I haven't noticed any issues but then again I only played it for 30 minutes or so. I haven't gotten to areas where there are a lot of enemies on screen so maybe that is where the frame rate issues are coming from people are talking about.

the 3ds sold after the 12th will be a different SKU

I am hoping the new SKU will have fixes for both the hinged lid causing screen scratches and also the warped D-pad problem.

I am not getting a 3DS till those issues get fixed.

I haven't had a warped D-Pad problem, and it doesn't seem to be a common issue.

You can do what I did and add your own rubber feet (got mine from my Atari Flashback 2) onto the 3DS, so it won't close all the way to prevent it from scratching the screen. It's worked great, with no more new marks. I did have a screen protector for awhile, but I didn't like it (3D still worked fine, but it looked a little weird).

The problem is that the rubber feet the 3DS has built-in aren't big enough. At least it's not a system-breaking flaw.

Edited by Animan

I never got a chance to play a 3DS, until tonight. I had SEEN them, but the kiosk was surrounded by kids the times it was working, and many times it was not. I think the kiosk system could use some corporate encouragement. It was different to be centered over it.

I'm slightly impressed with the technology of the screen. Anyone who isn't born of the latest "thrill me, I've seen that already" generation should at least raise an eyebrow at the "3D with no glasses" aspect of the thing.

There was some fighting game (can't remember name) that looked/played like Tekken. It was very impressive! That is, quite a tech demo, and a good game. The 3D doesn't add loads of fun to a game, but I can not deny that the technology was kind of impressive. It really looked like stuff was sticking out of the screen towards me, as well as deep into the screen.

I sometimes don't see 3D effects, with the cheesy glasses, and all. I saw these, rather plainly.

Kind of impressive. Still too expensive, but getting closer - the 3D sure isn't required to make a fun handheld game (for me) but I can not deny the technological appeal. If smartphone buyers rip this technology off (would they not?) then there'd be less of a reason to get one.

I'll get one when (1) it's cheap, and (2) some new Advance Wars game mandates it. Until then, I am still sort of impressed, but wait for cheap.

I'll get one when (1) it's cheap, and (2) some new Advance Wars game mandates it. Until then, I am still sort of impressed, but wait for cheap.

Have you seen Ghost Recon? It's not exactly Advance Wars, but the idea is the same... moving people/units around on a grid & whatnot.