IGNORED

1450 XLD motherboard build, assorted questions

Vandal968

Digikey also has the inline 8-pin DIN plug, part# CP-1080-ND.

Thanks Bill, I came up with the same one:

ORDERED DigiKey $1.71 CP-1080-ND

I also decided to take a chance on:

ORDERED DigiKey $6.41 237-1130-ND

for the line matching transformer. The leads have the correct orientation and spacing in one axis, and I think that I may be able to bend the leads enough to make it work in the other axis as-well. The last thing that I just can't seem to find is a floppy data header that has the correct look. It should be grey, with three walls, and raised ends as though it was latched, but it is not. Nothing on DigiKey or Mouser looks correct, although there are about 50 that would work fine. I'm really trying to duplicate the look as closely as possible. The good news is that since I'm not doing a floppy on this one, I can hold off on that connector for a while and see if anything that's a better match turns up.

cheers & thanks for the help,

v

What you want sounds like Digikey part# HVN34H-ND. The ends and the one side could be trimmed to give a close match to the one shown in the picture of the 1450 in post #4.

AWH34G-0202-T-R.jpg

• Like 1

Ok you guys are awesome...ly driving me nuts.

I step away from AtariAge for a few weeks for a business trip and this whole project ramps up and sells out before I'm back. NOoooooOOoooOOOoooo ;-)

If anyone bought one of the last motherboards & decides they'd like to sell it please contact me. I'll make it worthwhile.

My trip included looking at new office space for our company in California. In a likely failing attempt to one-up the AtariAge 1450 crew, I proposed we lease one of these buildings:

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/13671934/1265-Borregas-Ave-Sunnyvale-CA/

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/16530925/1196-Borregas-Avenue-Sunnyvale-CA/

• Like 1

If you search ebay for:

SY6551A

S6551

R6551

They're not hard to find.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 4001400161521?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=400140016152&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

They are also available from Unicorn Electronics, at the bottom of the list.

They do have a $25.00 minimum order but they also have lots of parts, including DRAM chips and IC sockets, at very low prices. Prices of some of the DRAM chips below.

4164-150 $0.49

4464-120 $1.29

41256-150 $0.49

I heard back from Curt last night. He has located the films for the daughtercard and will send them to me hopefully by the weekend. Once I've got them, I'll convert to vector so I can etch the photo-resist on the laser and I'll make an nc file for the drill pattern. Can't wait to finish this up and start on the case. All remaining electronic components should be here by tomorrow.

cheers,

v

Futurlec Electronics

they cost a little more then unicorn, but they have always delivered... they are a little slow on standard shipping, but express shipping got here in 3 days... and very decent prices on sockets (they only carry machine pin and double wipe)

sloopy.

My final parts arrived today and are all installed. The modem transformer fits and looks pretty reasonable once you bend the leads to match the board spacing. The DIN plug is a perfect match. I'm headed to my friend's place tomorrow morning to program those two last chips. I still need to make the modem daughtercard and hope to have the films from Curt this weekend. I'm wondering if I could fire it up with the daugthercard removed without risking damage to anything. Similarly, I wonder if it would work with the National modem installed instead of the TI & daughtercard...

cheers,

v

It is an 8-bit ROM, so it would be 8-bit. Not sure what you mean by 'binary hex'... it is a one-for-one dump of the data in the ROM - first byte is address 0000, second byte is address 0001, and like that.

Bob

I think it was called 'Intel' format, back then.

Bob,

we just finished digging out the programmer and pulling together an ancient machine to run it. Had a quick question about one of those dumps that you sent. What is the format for the dump on the PROM (U6), is it binary hex, 8 or 16 bit?

thanks,

v

Thanks Bob.

It was a long day. When I got there, my friend discovered that he had thrown away the pc that had the special ISA card to drive his programmer. Then he dug out his other programmer, and it wouldn't work with his laptop. So we grabbed ANOTHER pc, but this one wouldn't boot "Please insert source disk". So then we had to pull that one apart and figure out what was happening there. We were well into the afternoon before we got the chips programmed. Then I added the jumper for W3 (I was holding off on this one because I didn't know what I was going to do about the modem). I swapped Q3 & Q8 since the schematic is wrong (thanks Bob).

We rigged up a power supply, since it needs +5, -5 +12 and ground. I inserted my Donkey Kong cartridge and I flipped the power switch and waited for the magic smoke.

Instead, I got the Donkey Kong title screen!!!! Ok, don't get too excited, there are about 100 ways that this machine can be flawed. So I carefully connected a joystick, pressed the "fire" button, and I was playing Donkey Kong! With sound!!!!!!!!!!!!

After lots of hand shaking and smiling, and picture taking, I tried my SIO2SD to make sure that the SIO interface works. It booted just fine, and a test program I wrote in basic booted up and reported available ram, os version, etc.

So, basically, I now have the first new Atari 1450 in about 30 years :)

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL THE HELP EVERYONE!

See attached.

I still need to test with keyboard attached, and make sure that the modem & speech works. I did try running the 1400XL telecommunications cart and it seemed to initialize fine. When I tried it on an 800XL, I believe that it said something about only working on a 1400XL, but when I installed it in this machine, it prompted me for the number to dial!!!!!!!

More testing ahead.

cheers,

v

post-30038-0-34231000-1315095690_thumb.gif

Edited by Vandal968
  • Like 3

To test the speech, just boot with option down. I believe it will read you the menu screen "Atari self test. Press start select or reset"

Congratulations on building such a wonderful machine!

Nope, the self-test doesn't talk on mine. I found something else that does though :)

First Keyboard test: SUCCESS!

First Speech test: SUCCESS!

First Modem test: SUCCESS!

As far as I can tell so far EVERYTHING works, and on the first try!!!!

I've been waiting for this for 30 years.

enjoy:

v

• Like 9

To test the speech, just boot with option down. I believe it will read you the menu screen "Atari self test. Press start select or reset"

Nope, the self-test doesn't talk on mine. I found something else that does though :)

Hmm.. now I wonder if its just the 1400 that said that. I swear I didn't imagine that. That means there is a different version of the OS ROM..hmmm

First Keyboard test: SUCCESS!

First Speech test: SUCCESS!

First Modem test: SUCCESS!

As far as I can tell so far EVERYTHING works, and on the first try!!!!

I've been waiting for this for 30 years.

enjoy:

v

Good job. :thumbsup:

Do you have the schematics corrected and a parts list with sources?

Which modem did you use?

If someone else has the bare boards maybe we can get together with a large parts order and reduce costs.

Edited by Defender II

Which modem did you use?

If someone else has the bare boards maybe we can get together with a large parts order and reduce costs.

I've been trying to incorporate all of the corrections into my BOM, but I have marked up the schematics as-well. I am using the National modem rather than the TI(no daughtercard). One of my EE friends reviewed the schematic and felt that there was no danger of frying anything with the other modem chip. So I took a chance and tried it, and it works. Much easier than fabricating the daughtercard. My total cost so far is around $300 give or take.

If anyone has a board that they don't intend to build, I'd love to build it out as a 1450XLD. This one is going to be a 1400XL or 1450XL depending on the information that Curt is able to provide. Authenticity is important to me and I want an extremely authentic build. In-fact, I'm wondering if Atari ever designed the artwork for the boxes for these machines. If so, I'm willing to take it to the next level and fabricate the correct box as-well.

cheers,

v

Which modem did you use?

I've been trying to incorporate all of the corrections into my BOM, but I have marked up the schematics as-well. I am using the National modem rather than the TI(no daughtercard). One of my EE friends reviewed the schematic and felt that there was no danger of frying anything with the other modem chip. So I took a chance and tried it, and it works. Much easier than fabricating the daughtercard. My total cost so far is around $300 give or take.

If anyone has a board that they don't intend to build, I'd love to build it out as a 1450XLD. This one is going to be a 1400XL or 1450XL depending on the information that Curt is able to provide. Authenticity is important to me and I want an extremely authentic build. In-fact, I'm wondering if Atari ever designed the artwork for the boxes for these machines. If so, I'm willing to take it to the next level and fabricate the correct box as-well.

cheers,

v

Since you are planning on building another one, did you buy double the parts or will you be ordering again? If you will be ordering parts, I'd like to get in on it if we can lower the cost by doing so. I have a few main chips and sockets, but didn't do much else yet.