IGNORED

1450 XLD motherboard build, assorted questions

Vandal968

I think that it would fit properly in an Apple IIe case. This one, tricked out in blue, with the DuoDisk actually resembles a 1450 from the side profile.

Swiss cheese panels and now an blue apple case? Clearly you don't suggest someone put a newborn atari in such atrocities like that, right?

Boy! Talk about a pathetic trasvesty...

F.

I think there is a lesson for you here Unix...

Don't think outside of the box

Don't be creative

Don't brain storm

Don't open your mouth

(oops, broke that one didn't I?)

Well, I'm trying for as authentic as possible, I want the machine that Atari promised me. But, I think that we should always listen to new ideas, even if they don't suit the current goal, they may be perfect solutions for the next project. I know that I'm going to use that ABS perfboard for something, don't know what yet, but it's a great thing to add to my bag of tricks and squirrel-away until needed.

Power Supplies: I want the authentic power supply that I've seen posted in the forums. Unfortunately, Best doesn't have any. The next best option is to take a supply that used the same housing, replace the guts, and make a new sticker. Anyone know where to get a supply that looks just like this pic?

cheers,

c

post-30038-0-37824000-1315504256_thumb.jpg

I think that it would fit properly in an Apple IIe case. This one, tricked out in blue, with the DuoDisk actually resembles a 1450 from the side profile.

Swiss cheese panels and now an blue apple case? Clearly you don't suggest someone put a newborn atari in such atrocities like that, right?

Nicely put rhetorical anthropomorphisms, did you study with Goebbels?

No, I was just giving suggestions for a temporary housing, until there is something better to put it in. I couldn't link directly to the side profile image of the IIe with the DuoDisk, and it just so happened to be blue. I was merely pointing out the design similarity of the profiles, and stating that the case would be big enough to hack down and modify, being that "subtractive" (sawing out material) is always easier than "additive" (making something where there was once nothing).

Furthermore, I was only being helpful, specifically because the guts of the computer are hanging out, with the keyboard on a weird angle, in the video... this is inviting disaster... When the word "Temporary" may mean six months, it is better to mount the thing properly in or on Something.

He clearly has the tools to fabricate a real case, but this may take months... do you want the only computer like this to go Pffft! when something metal falls in there, before there is a proper case? Even screwing it to a piece of wood, and using metal speaker-grille formed into a box shape is better than inviting disaster.

Boy! Talk about a pathetic trasvesty...

F.

Learn to spell.

Furthermore, I was only being helpful, specifically because the guts of the computer are hanging out, with the keyboard on a weird angle, in the video... this is inviting disaster... When the word "Temporary" may mean six months, it is better to mount the thing properly in or on Something.

He clearly has the tools to fabricate a real case, but this may take months... do you want the only computer like this to go Pffft! when something metal falls in there, before there is a proper case? Even screwing it to a piece of wood, and using metal speaker-grille formed into a box shape is better than inviting disaster.

UNIXcoffee928,

don't worry, I took your comments in the helpful way that they were intended.

The 1450 is in a case right now. I know it was bare in that first video (1400XL Telecommunicator cart), but it's in a case in the second video (speech in BASIC). It's still crude and needs cleanup, but at least it's not as precarious as it was initially.

cheers,

c

The ELPAC on the left is a transformer-based supply. The ITE on the right is a switcher. Either one will run the 1450. Finding one that matches your picture is difficult without better views of the case. There are plenty of verisons of these power packs from ELPAC and others.

Bob

post-14708-0-73980300-1315510517_thumb.jpg

Power Supplies: I want the authentic power supply that I've seen posted in the forums. Unfortunately, Best doesn't have any. The next best option is to take a supply that used the same housing, replace the guts, and make a new sticker. Anyone know where to get a supply that looks just like this pic?

cheers,

c

heh, mine has a Side mounted PBI, with two cart slots (So I can use SIDE on the side, like it's name indicates)

Meh - the SIDE casing comes right off. ;) Seriously, though - I have one of those PBI adapaters, but once I realized the 1200XL's heatsink can go (if replacing the PSU with a 5v supply)... well, that back-mounted PBI just has to happen.

Edited by flashjazzcat

heh, mine has a Side mounted PBI, with two cart slots (So I can use SIDE on the side, like it's name indicates)

Meh - the SIDE casing comes right off. ;) Seriously, though - I have one of those PBI adapaters, but once I realized the 1200XL's heatsink can go (if replacing the PSU with a 5v supply)... well, that back-mounted PBI just has to happen.

I actually have a separate 1200XL that runs off 5v, so I may have to try that too... How are you bringing the PBI out of the rear?

I actually have a separate 1200XL that runs off 5v, so I may have to try that too... How are you bringing the PBI out of the rear?

I think I'll set up a topic or blog about it (don't want to get too OT). I just retrobrited the (already barely discoloured) case... ;)

Anyway, Candle talked me into using the same 50 way female Centronics/SCSI connector he fitted to an XEGS (see photos in Ultimate 1MB topic). 12v power socket is being replaced with standard DIN-7 socket for 5v, DIN-13 VBXE out where the RF out used to be, plus other goodies, etc. :D

Edited by flashjazzcat

The ELPAC on the left is a transformer-based supply. The ITE on the right is a switcher. Either one will run the 1450. Finding one that matches your picture is difficult without better views of the case. There are plenty of verisons of these power packs from ELPAC and others.

Bob

Bob,

thanks for posting those pics, I'll poke around and see if I can find a supply like that, the look is almost perfect. Neither of those supplies will run the 1450 board properly. The op-amps in the audio circuit require a -5v supply. If you only feed this thing +12 & +5v, it will work, but you won't have audio. I have tested this to verify.

cheers,

c

Edited by Vandal968

I didn't know that... -5v can be easily regulated off of the -12v, but I'm not sure that there are enough wires in the cable.

Hey, if this were easy, everybody would have one!

Bob

Bob

Bob,

thanks for posting those pics, I'll poke around and see if I can find a supply like that, the look is almost perfect. Neither of those supplies will run the 1450 board properly. The op-amps in the audio circuit require a -5v supply. If you only feed this thing +12 & +5v, it will work, but you won't have audio. I have tested this to verify.

cheers,

c

I think there is a lesson for you here Unix...

Don't think outside of the box

Don't be creative

Don't brain storm

Don't open your mouth

(oops, broke that one didn't I?)

Well, I'm trying for as authentic as possible, I want the machine that Atari promised me. But, I think that we should always listen to new ideas, even if they don't suit the current goal, they may be perfect solutions for the next project. I know that I'm going to use that ABS perfboard for something, don't know what yet, but it's a great thing to add to my bag of tricks and squirrel-away until needed.

cheers,

c

An alternative, if you can find one, would be the DSP-1501 DVE which I believe was supplied with the 520ST, as shown in the following thread: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/23655-what-system-does-this-ps-belong-to/

Although it doesn't have the correct voltages/pinout/connector, it uses the same case as the early repairable version of the 600XL/800XL power supply, so it should be relatively easy to modify for +12/2A, -5V@0.5A and replace the DIN connector/cable for the correct pinout. While not the exact version, it is an XL style Atari power supply from around the right time period.

Internal view attached.

post-26063-0-57349600-1315521145_thumb.jpg

Most of my other supplies that look like this have +5, and +,- 12 rather than +- 5 and +12. Does the 1450 need - 12v? This power supply has a 6-pin plug... don't know what it's for. Not a 520ST or 1400XL. Does Best or B&C have one?

Bob

This one?

Bob

post-14708-0-71602900-1315528677_thumb.jpg

Bob,

Is that a supply for a 1400XL or a 520ST? It looks like it would work great. Want to send it to me? I don't think you got me a birthday present this year ;)

cheers,

c

I think I'll set up a topic or blog about it (don't want to get too OT). I just retrobrited the (already barely discoloured) case... ;)

Anyway, Candle talked me into using the same 50 way female Centronics/SCSI connector he fitted to an XEGS (see photos in Ultimate 1MB topic). 12v power socket is being replaced with standard DIN-7 socket for 5v, DIN-13 VBXE out where the RF out used to be, plus other goodies, etc. :D

The Centronics 50 connector was a common connector for external SCSI-1 devices, it was used on the Adaptec ISA 1540/1542 cards.

I think I may have one of these from a long dead 520st. If I can find it you are welcome to it.

Fletch

This one?

Bob

post-14708-0-71602900-1315528677_thumb.jpg

Bob,

Is that a supply for a 1400XL or a 520ST? It looks like it would work great. Want to send it to me? I don't think you got me a birthday present this year ;)

cheers,

c

Most of my other supplies that look like this have +5, and +,- 12 rather than +- 5 and +12. Does the 1450 need - 12v? This power supply has a 6-pin plug... don't know what it's for. Not a 520ST or 1400XL. Does Best or B&C have one?

Bob

Bob,

No, the 1450 doesn't need -12, it only needs +-5 and +12. I just ordered a 7905 power regulator chip so that if I end up with a supply that has -12 instead of -5, I can can drop the voltage down (er, up) to -5. I spoke to Best, they are recommending modifying a 520st supply as my most authentic option ($40). I haven't checked with B&C, I'll look them up.

cheers,

c

Edited by Vandal968

The Centronics 50 connector was a common connector for external SCSI-1 devices, it was used on the Adaptec ISA 1540/1542 cards.

I see - it seems a sensible choice, then. Unfortunately they're quite hard to come by on eBay, and I quite pathetically can't afford the £20 minimum order from Farnell at the moment. I ended up buying a SCSI terminator on eBay for a couple of quid, and upon writhing the thing open to extract the female Centronics 50 connector, I have discovered that the 50 leaf shaped pins are "loose" in the plastic shroud. The upshot of this is that when I desolder the backs of the pins from the litte PCB with the resistor array on it, the damned things will be loose, and totally unsuited to soldering to the end of a ribbon cable. It's their placement on the existing PCB which keeps the pins aligned and stops them from falling out of the connector.

Therefore, if anyone has a "proper" female Centronics 50 socket (i.e. one designed for soldering to cables) spare for a sane price, please PM me. I'll be eternally grateful.

What are you looking for, again? A cable-mounted Centronics? Wouldn't you want an IDC style Centronics?

What are you doing?

Bob

I see - it seems a sensible choice, then. Unfortunately they're quite hard to come by on eBay, and I quite pathetically can't afford the £20 minimum order from Farnell at the moment. I ended up buying a SCSI terminator on eBay for a couple of quid, and upon writhing the thing open to extract the female Centronics 50 connector, I have discovered that the 50 leaf shaped pins are "loose" in the plastic shroud. The upshot of this is that when I desolder the backs of the pins from the litte PCB with the resistor array on it, the damned things will be loose, and totally unsuited to soldering to the end of a ribbon cable. It's their placement on the existing PCB which keeps the pins aligned and stops them from falling out of the connector.

Therefore, if anyone has a "proper" female Centronics 50 socket (i.e. one designed for soldering to cables) spare for a sane price, please PM me. I'll be eternally grateful.

Did you ask for an Atari CO62023? (the one in the last picture I posted) This has a 7-pin plug which looks like it matches the 1450. The 520ST case is 4x8x2.5 on the outside, but they use a female plug instead of a male one and it doesn't really look like the 14xx power supplies - ELPACs that I showed you, do.

Anyway, even though a 520ST power supply says it can only output 30ma on +-12v, no transformer would be that wimpy. (what - use 55 gauge wire?) You may find the 'regulator' is just a zener diode and a resistor, though. Doubtful that the rectifiers would be less than 500ma, so just add 7805/7905s and maybe some more filter caps to make +12v and -5v.

Or, you could stick a switcher in there...

Bob

The 'factory' enclosure (CO62023) is sealed - no screws.

This would do the trick, but it will need an enclosure:

http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=17721+PS

Bryan,

That is perfect. The price is right too. It's 5" x 3" x 1-1/4".

Bob,

how big is the factory enclosure?

cheers,

c