IGNORED

Which game should be ported to ATARI 2600 ?

Some of those aren't too obscure (Black Widow, Scramble, Satans Hollow, etc.) but you realize the 2600 DOES have ports of Pooyan and Time Pilot right? :) And of course Space Panic and Cosmic Avenger have homes on the Colecovision..

After a bit more digging,  

Alpine Ski  

Crazy Balloon

Wow never thought I'd find another Crazy Balloon fan. :) Too bad Mame plays this one without sound though :roll:. You sound like an old school Taito fan.. If you haven't already, you should check out the "updated" version for the japanese PSX. It's pretty fun!

superlite_15_crazy_balloon_2000_web_a.jpgsuperlite_15_crazy_balloon_2000_web_b.jpg

As far as Alpine Ski... that was cool, but it hasn't aged too well in my humble opinion. Did you like other Taito games like Space Chaser or Marine Date? :)

...but you realize the 2600 DOES have ports of Pooyan and Time Pilot right? :)

In my haste to dig out all those old jewels of arcade games...I didn't check them all. I haven't played either 2600 game, but the Time Pilot screen shots look pretty lame and if the programming is like other Coleco->Atari ports, I'm sure gameplay is bad too.

You sound like an old school Taito fan.. If you haven't already, you should check out the "updated" version for the japanese PSX. It's pretty fun!
More like...old school period. I love the 1980-1985ish arcade games most. I realize this sounds like "why in my day we walked to school uphill in the snow" but I do feel modern arcade games have lost something. Harware limitations forced outside-the-box thinking.

As far as Alpine Ski... that was cool, but it hasn't aged too well in my humble opinion.  Did you like other Taito games like Space Chaser or Marine Date? :)
Space chaser was pretty fun to play. I need a visual on Marine date...don't remember it and the KLOV site does not have a screen snapshot. :sad:

Truly excellent rendering, Inky!  Now...could you program it?  I'd play the hell out of it!

I was actually thinking of whipping up a recreation of it in Gamemaker.

Seriously? That would be pretty cool. I'm not familiar with Gamemaker...does that allow you to create a BIN playable by a z26 emulator?

Truly excellent rendering, Inky!  Now...could you program it?  I'd play the hell out of it!

I was actually thinking of whipping up a recreation of it in Gamemaker.

Seriously? That would be pretty cool. I'm not familiar with Gamemaker...does that allow you to create a BIN playable by a z26 emulator?

No, it allows one to easily create games on the PC, but I think it would be neat to see what it may play like.

My vision of 2600 Bagman...

Very nice!

Still too many details (e.g. sprites > 8 pixel, two scores with too many digits and the ladders can't be done with playfield graphics) and most likely still too complicated screen layout (assymetrical playfield) which woud require striped graphics to get enough free CPU time for the players.

But Bag(it?)man seems to be doable with just a few more compromises.

Still too many details (e.g. sprites > 8 pixel, two scores with too many digits and the ladders can't be done with playfield graphics) and most likely still too complicated screen layout (assymetrical playfield) which woud require striped graphics to get enough free CPU time for the players.

Striped graphics like you used in Thrust? Is that the same thing as the venetian blinds technique?

I was thrilled when Atari announced that a 2600 version of Centuri's Challenger was in the works, along with Round Up, but nothing ever came of it. Challenger would have been too complex for the 2600 anyway, just like Galaga.

Many Cinematronics games would have worked out great for the 2600. Armor Attack and Rip-Off would have been very easy to do.

I was thrilled when Atari announced that a 2600 version of Centuri's Challenger was in the works, along with Round Up, but nothing ever came of it.  

ARE YOU SERIOUS?! Man, I'm glad I never heard of Challenger supposedly going to be ported back then, I would've crapped my pants...and then been disappointed years later because of it not being done. I liked that game a lot, especially docking with the "Big Nose" (what a friend of mine called it, snirk snirk) for the bonus points.

Many Cinematronics games would have worked out great for the 2600.  Armor Attack and Rip-Off would have been very easy to do.

Oh well, both of those games made it onto the Vectrex, anyway (see current avatar ;)).

If someone's gonna do a port, if you don't want to do Moon Cresta then it has to be Scramble, since most computers have 200 versions of this classic, Atari should get at least one.

Hey, you could hack Cave 1K and put spaceships and fuel tanks on the ground and you'd be halfway there!

My vision of 2600 Bagman...

Very nice!

But Bag(it?)man seems to be doable with just a few more compromises.

I got lazy with the sprites (I basically just colored in the ones that were there), and as far as the angled passageways, I also thought that they may not be doable, but left them in anyway.

I'll third (I think) the Crazy Balloon idea....Big fan of that one...

Level 23, 79800 is my high score on MAME...

And, the graphics aren't big and complicated, so I wouldn't be surprised if it could be done. It's that sort of game that's elegant for it's simplicity...

*has nightmares about the face* :ponder: :D

Hmm....

Zookeeper, definately...

Arabian was a favourite of mine on MAME...

*thinks back to his Thanksgiving FunSpot trip*

Oh yeah! How could I forget! The reason I was making this post:

Qix!.

What a great game. My new MAME addiction :D

-----------

Chase Hermsen

• 3 months later...

Hi there!

Just spent a bit of time trying to do some screen mockups for Hunchback on the 2600.  Who knows, If Andrew continues with his tutorial, I might even be able to start on the real thing!  :wink:

*bumped*

Just curious if anything happened here. I still think 2600 Hunchback would be a blast!

Greetings,

Manuel