IGNORED

Which game should be ported to ATARI 2600 ?

I don't think Pengo needs to be on the list anymore. I just found out the ROM image I've had all these years was a prototype. It's still short of johnnywc quality, but Atari did a much better job than I had realized.

Yes Pengo is called Brick Kick on the Atari, it is pretty good but could still look better, I may one day hack it into Pengo, make the sprits look a little more like real Pengo.

Wade

Huh? Pengo is called Pengo on the 2600 and the sprites do look something like real Pengo. http://www.atariage.com/software_page.html...wareLabelID=351

OHHHHHHH WOW thanks so much that beats the living stuffing out of Brick Kick!!!!!!! Also way better than trying to hack Brick Kick into Pengo!! ;) I have over a 1000 games how did I miss this! LOL :ponder:

Thanks Man! :thumbsup:

Wade

Satan's Hollow is impossible, this is why I know, when it came out for the C64 it was said that it absolutely pushed the C64 to it's limits. Really it was thought impossible on the C64 until someone made it! :-D

Thanks for this info. Project "Satans Hollow 2600" cancelled.

Thanks for this info. Project "Satans Hollow 2600" cancelled.

I think you missed a :) there? Almost every game ever created has pushed the limits of the hardware! Satans Hollow looks just like another Galaxian/Galaga clone to me, and should be possible on the 2600 with the usual limitations?

Chris

• 6 months later...
As far as arcade traslation. I would've liked to have seen Tron the Arcade game translated.

Wow, this thread is so old that some of the suggestions (Lady Bug / Conquest of Mars) are already done. Just found it when looking for old threads regarding a Tron 2600 conversion. Maybe when Colony 7 is finally out of the door I will try some things regarding a Tron 2600 project :)

As far as arcade traslation. I would've liked to have seen Tron the Arcade game translated.

Wow, this thread is so old that some of the suggestions (Lady Bug / Conquest of Mars) are already done. Just found it when looking for old threads regarding a Tron 2600 conversion. Maybe when Colony 7 is finally out of the door I will try some things regarding a Tron 2600 project :)

That's great news. Colony 7 has shaped up well, and I really enjoyed Star Fire, Crazy Balloon, Seawolf and Gunfight. In fact, your's are my favorite homebrews. Can't wait to see what your Tron effort looks like :)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
Zaxxon would be excellent but I think impossible, it would need to be a side scroller or something like River Raid 2 I think the 2600 can not do diagonal scrolling, the reason why the original Zaxxon doesn't. :(

Desert Falcon does implement the illusion of Zaxxon-like diagonal scrolling, yet the game sucks. But it han't aged well anyway, even on the Atari XL which has more fluid scrolling than the Colecovision version it looks pretty bland.

Titles I'd like to see:

Donkey Kong/Jr. in a version matching the one for the Atari XL (i.e. all screens, more fluid gameplay, better graphics),

Boulder Dash - now apparently WIP, and it looks great on Youtube,

Encounter!,

Star Raiders in a decent version and w/o keypad (difficulty switches and up to 3 switches on 2nd stick instead so we can use a foot pedal),

Pooyan in a decent version (not the abomination that was published under that name),

Q*Bert in a graphically better version (really moving enemies, higher res),

A fast bi-directional(!) vertical scrolling shmup ("Goldrunner"-like or a vertical version of Defender/Stargate),

A Jump'n'Run with vertical scrolling a la "Captain Dynamo".

Thorsten

I reconsidered this again (and apparently my last comment on this thread has disappeared):

Star Raiders in a 400/800-like version and with foot pedal control on port 2 and difficulty switches for further options

and

Captain Dynamo http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=wDt-EHbXzm4 with it's vertical scrolling in speeds always matching that of the main character

would both be awesome.

Thorsten

Since everyone seems to like the idea of RPG's on the Atari, I just thought of one that *might* be possible to port: Rogue! Anyone else remember this game? It was all text based graphics, but it actually had a fairly in-depth inventory system and random dungeon generation and such. I doubt you'd be able to keep all the complexity in a 2600 port, but at least the graphics would probably be doable.

Speaking of which, I've noticed that many Starpath games seem to use a very small font for displaying messages (Survivial Island, Dragonstomper, etc) instead of the nasty huge Atari fonts used for scores in various games, or the one in Star Raiders. Would it be possible to use a font like this for full-screen display, or is this just a hack to get it to work at all?

(By the way, if you were ever a fan of Rogue, you owe it to yourself to check out Nethack! It's amazing complicated, and very well thought out.. but there isn't a chance you'll get this thing on the 2600)

--Zero

I LOVED Rogue from the early PC days. The game evolved into a much larger game called "Ragnarok" which was also a blast to play. I remember the only way I could beat Rogue was to "cheat" by making a backup of the save file. Once you opened the save file, it deleted it from your hard drive. But, by copying that file to a disk, you could just drop another copy into the right folder and restart from that point. It was the only way I could finish it.

Back to the OP, I agree that Galaga would have been cool. But how about the turn-based RPG "Telengard?" That's another game I played to death on the Atari 8-bit and C64 (The C64 version was much easier on the eyes.) :)

Edited by Deteacher

I reconsidered this again (and apparently my last comment on this thread has disappeared)

You're talking about something different than Post #716?

Not really (just wanted a more comprehensive post), but I see *your* post as #703 and can't see mine at all. Dunno how that happened.

Thorsten

Not really (just wanted a more comprehensive post), but I see *your* post as #703 and can't see mine at all. Dunno how that happened.

It seems you accidently switched to the "outline" view mode. Click the orange "Options" button on top of the thread and select "Switch to standard".

Yep, that fixed it. I don't get how I switched to that mode though. Now my secong post on that topic seems somewhat unnecessary, except for the Youtube link.

Thank you.

Thorsten