IGNORED

Which game should be ported to ATARI 2600 ?

Oh! No! Bubble Bobble! A cooked down BB would be doable wouldn't it?

Uhhh.... I don't think so.

When you start cranking out the bubbles (at least, the way I play it), it flickers even on my Sega GameGear. I am slipping into an epileptic seizure just imagining a 2600 version.

Also, I don't think Galaga could be done either... Atari had already assigned it a CX number (CX26116), so presumably they were working on it and abandoned it as impossible, like Tempest or Xevious.

A watered down version of Street Fighter may be possible.
Yah. Simplify it so instead of 3 types of punches and kicks you just have punch and ... punch.

It's possible to have more than one move. Look at Adavies concept game Fu Kung as an example of this.

I know button count and # of moves aren't related. Street Fighter itself has FAR more than 6 moves. Most rely on stick wiggles with a button press at the end of the wiggle sequence.

At the bare minimumn a Street Fighter clone needs independent punch and kick buttons, and an 8-way stick.

I can think of a lot of elaborate ways to bypass the 1-button restriction, but the only ones that leaves you with a fully functional stick are to make a custom controller like Omega Race had, or use a 7800 stick, which provides you with 2 buttons on a standard controller(assuming the VCS can read both buttons).

I think Tron could be done. I'd posted some mockups of it before... let's see... ah yes. Here they are.

Here's a title screen (based on M-Network's):

2600logo.gif

What it really needs is a level select screen, but I couldn't figure out how to make one look halfway decent on a 2600.

Here's the Tank game, 2600 style:

2600tank.gif

... and with Recognizers:

2600rec.gif

Actually, this is being done now with Tank AI (albeit with one tank, and no transporter). Strategy X, Thunderground... lots of tank games out there.

The Grid Bugs game, 2600:

2600bugs.gif

Megamania meets Tron Deadly Discs. By keeping the bugs grouped (sprite multiplexing, or whatever it's called) I think the flicker could be minimized.

The MCP, 2600:

2600mcp2.gif

SuperBreakout meets Tron Deadly Discs.

The 2600 Lightcycles:

2600lite.gif

Based on Surround (or Warring Worms), but the speed of it would have to be much faster, and with decent AI, too.

I'd like to see Bosconian on the 2600. (Mission 3000 is an okay start, but it needs work.) Nibbler would be another good one. I think Mappy might work (but I wonder if all of the objects would cause major flickering), and Seawolf II would be great.

There's a series of reviews of some lesser-known games here that might inspire someone's creativity.

Edited by Nathan Strum

Wow, some great suggestions already. I'd love to see Frenzy and Guzzler. Here's a couple that came to mind as I browsed through KLOV:

Lunar Lander

Every system must have a version of lunar lander. :) Someone else asked for this in another thread, too, I think.

Astro Blaster

Megamania is clearly inspired by this game, but the real thing has some subtleties that it misses, like the overheating laser and the docking stages. It also uses sampled voice snippets for status reports. Fighter pilots needed in Sector Wars! Play Astro Blaster! :)

Space War

I sometimes think I'm the only person who actually likes the existing 2600 version of this game, but even I must admit that it's only a pale imitation of the real thing. I'd actually suggest cheating here and using the excellent Vectrex version for inspiration on the gameplay.

Space Duel

Asteroids' less-popular older brother. The toughest game variations have two ships tethered together, making for some really freaky controls. Dunno if that'd be practial on the 2600, but even the single-ship options add some nice twists to the Asteroids-like gameplay.

Satan's Hollow

Always a favorite of mine. I'm sure the fancy backgrounds would be tough, though.

Hey mabye someone can do a Arkanoid on the 2600 or 1942 are those good ideas.

1942 has too many sprites moving around at once...I don't think it'd come out any good to look at or play.

As for Arkanoid, its essentially super breakout with some different block setups. Probably possible.

As for space war...the problem I had with the vectrex one was that they really didn't have good game settings as far as inertial drift and acceleration goes, if I recall. I'd say just go with the arcade version itself, or better yet, the PDP-1 version ;)