IGNORED

Which game should be ported to ATARI 2600 ?

Hi Rasty!

Humm I've almost only played with Jumpman "Sr."... what are the main differences with "Jr."?

Jr. was a 16K cartridge only Jumpman sequel done for C64, the Coleco and the 8-Bitters. So compared to the first, it was simplified. It had less screens with graphically simpler obstacles, and reduced intro / finishing sequences.

Here, compare these Epyx Shrine strategy guides I made for both:

http://home.arcor.de/cybergoth/epyx/jumpstrategy.html

http://home.arcor.de/cybergoth/epyx/jump2strategy.html

There's a few levels in the games which I think are not portable, like the ones starting in complete darkness, but most should be doable somehow

Greetings,

Manuel

Humm I've almost only played with Jumpman "Sr."... what are the main differences with "Jr."?

Jr. was a 16K cartridge only Jumpman sequel done for C64, the Coleco and the 8-Bitters. So compared to the first, it was simplified. It had less screens with graphically simpler obstacles, and reduced intro / finishing sequences.

Here, compare these Epyx Shrine strategy guides I made for both:

Thanks, great guides!

There's a few levels in the games which I think are not portable, like the ones starting in complete darkness, but most should be doable somehow

I think that, if we'd come out with an efficient way to apply modifications to the level structure (holes, etc.), it should be possible..

Let's just keep thinking about it for now :)

Greets,

Rasty.-

Hi Rasty!

I think that, if we'd come out with an efficient way to apply modifications to the level structure (holes, etc.), it should be possible..

Well, I fear a Jumpman screen structure is by far too complex to be held in 128 bytes or to be generated on the fly. I think you'll have to provide a complete screen for any structure change.

And I think some levels will have some very bad flicker if ported 1:1.

If you use the PF for the overall structure, you still require doing up/down ropes, the bombs and the obstacles/enemies.

If you plan on doing them "sprites" obstacles, like the birds and robots, you'd probably assign your other objects like:

P0: Jumpman

P1: Obstacles

M1/M2: Up/down ropes

BL: The bombs

Now, you're in trouble very quick - four bombs on the same horizontal line and you're down to 15Hz flicker...

Oh, I spent lot's of thoughts on that and I'd fully support any serious attempt - But don't expect me really doing it myself before 2005... :D

Greetings,

Manuel

Hello Cybergoth!

Well, I fear a Jumpman screen structure is by far too complex to be held in 128 bytes or to be generated on the fly. I think you'll have to provide a complete screen for any structure change.

And I think some levels will have some very bad flicker if ported 1:1.

If you use the PF for the overall structure, you still require doing up/down ropes, the bombs and the obstacles/enemies.

Well, for the holes in the level structure, I was brainstorming about having some kind of a bit map in ram that represents holes, and having the PF drawing routine poll it before drawing the line... of course that would limit structure changes to holes (adding or removing), and will probably force to have an alternate scanline PF kernel.. not very good looking :(

But for the ropes, we could still rely on the PF graphics I think..!

This could free Missile graphics for something else.

Oh, I spent lot's of thoughts on that and I'd fully support any serious attempt - But don't expect me really doing it myself before 2005... :D

Same here... I just love the idea :)

Greets,

Rasty.-

I have been looking for this game on any system and I cant seem to find it. I would love to see somebody make "Timber" into a 2600 game. Please tell me somebody remembers this one....?

Somebody does, as Dave Giarrusso wrote about a (fictional!) prototype, complete with controller, for a past April Fool's issue of the 2600 Connection.

There are a bunch of classic-era games that might adapt well to the 2600 but were too obscure or made by the wrong company at the time. To name a few off the top of my head...

Bosconian (ditto, like sinistar but slower and sparser)

Rob

Mission 3000 is remarkable like Bosconian. The enemies don't shoot and the bases only take one hit to destroy, but other than that it's essentially the same game. Even has the spy ships and condition red/yellow/green.

eh? What is Mission 3000 and why haven't I heard of it? :? Is it for the 2600??

Yep.

http://www.atariage.com/software_page.html...areLabelID=1637

I've seen it a few times on eBay. I enjoy this game QUITE a bit. It's PAL. I don't think it's one of the ones that have been converted to NTSC.

There's a short review of it on my website under the '2600 import reviews.'

Double post, sorry.

Along the original topic lines, games I'd like to see ported to the 2600:

Galaga (duh).

Guzzler

Donkey Kong 3

Starblazer (an old Apple II side-scrolling shooter)

Alpiner (TI 99/4A)

Pick Axe Pete (could possibly be even better than the O^2 version).

yep

I've seen it a few times on eBay. I enjoy this game QUITE a bit. It's PAL. I don't think it's one of the ones that have been converted to NTSC.

aah so I see! The problem was I was searching the AA database using NTSC :P And you're right, it doesn't appear it's been converted. But if it's anything like Bosconian I'd LOVE to try it out on a real TV here.. But with the recent hubbub I doubt Thomas will jump up to do it :|

By the way... there isn't a link that says "2600 import reviews" at the url to your site (don't know if it's buried in another directory somewhere)..

How about M.U.L.E.? It's fairly complex, but the graphics could easily be simplified without losing any of the games fun. Might need some extra RAM to handle all the data though.

I'd also love to see some sort of top-down dungeon crawl game like Rogue, Nethack (obviously way too complicated), or like the INTV Dungeons & Dragons game. I remember drooling over ads for Tunnels & Trolls for the ColecoVision. Hell, even a port of Quest For The Rings would be great. Gateway of Apshai is another example of a good adventure game, although it might be hard without some symmetry and scrolling.

Jumpman would be great, and could be possible... although I'm not sure how good a resulting translation could be... Donkey Kong only had two levels after all, so it would take quite a bit of skill. I'm really surprised no one has mentioned Super Mario Bros yet! People almost always whine for this one... I wonder if it would be possible to hack Pitfall II enough to give a convincing Mario Bros style game... Would the game still be any good with a discrete horizontal scroll?

Anyone else remember the game Barbarian for the C64? You controlled a Conan-type guy and fought other guys in different colored loincloths. The game was pretty repetitve, but being able to behead your opponent somehow made it all worthwhile. Karate may have sucked, but I see no reason why it wouldn't be possible to make this.

Or how about Gauntlet? Dark Chambers is essentially the grandfather of this game anyways, all you'd have to do is add in some monster spawners and speed the game up a bit. Similarly, why was Frenzy never made? Berzerk has some harsh restrictions on it, which I guess would be hard to remove without resorting to some nasty flicker...

And I still think Major Havoc could be done justice. Obviously, without the vectors (Speaking of vectors... Black Widow anyone?) it wouldn't be the same, but a multi-level kind of game could be done quite well. It's not like I'm asking for Elite or anything :P

--Zero

yep

aah so I see! The problem was I was searching the AA database using NTSC :P And you're right, it doesn't appear it's been converted. But if it's anything like Bosconian I'd LOVE to try it out on a real TV here.. But with the recent hubbub I doubt Thomas will jump up to do it :|

By the way... there isn't a link that says "2600 import reviews" at the url to your site (don't know if it's buried in another directory somewhere)..

Click on "Reviews" first. :P

Aha! Of course I did that before I wrote that above but only got those picture links. I did a quick scan of them then did the obligatory text search for "import" and found nothing.. Well obviously because it's within the picture itself! :lol:

By the way, at my resolution, you can barely read this ;)

Snail%20Against%20Squirrel.jpg

Aha! Of course I did that before I wrote that above but only got those picture links. I did a quick scan of them then did the obligatory text search for "import" and found nothing.. Well obviously because it's within the picture itself! :lol:

By the way, at my resolution, you can barely read this ;)

Snail%20Against%20Squirrel.jpg

Yeah, I know. I gotta fix that. I did the first overhaul of my site in about six months this weekend, and hadn't looked at it from another machine until tonight. Apparently, I also posted the unedited drafts of at least half the reviews, so they're riddled with typos and sentence structure errors that embarrass me. You wouldn't guess from reading them that I have a degree in English and I minored in Linguistics. UGH. :woozy:

Thanks for the heads up, though.

Hi there!

I'd also love to see some sort of top-down dungeon crawl game like Rogue, Nethack (obviously way too complicated), or like the INTV Dungeons & Dragons game. I remember drooling over ads for Tunnels & Trolls for the ColecoVision. Hell, even a port of Quest For The Rings would be great. Gateway of Apshai is another example of a good adventure game, although it might be hard without some symmetry and scrolling.

Hey, that's my next project! :)

Greetings,

Manuel

Playing Arkanoid with a NES gamepad kind of blows. I want paddles!

There is a paddle-like Arkanoid controller for the NES.

-Paul

It came as a pack-in, and was a pretty good controller.

The NES was the last system with a paddle. Hard to imagine sometimes.

A simplified version of Space Harrier. Probably difficult to do but possible if willing to make some sacrifices in gameplay.

Base it on the Buck Rogers kernel

That would work. I was thinking of Moonsweeper as well.

Maybe even the planet levels of Solaris. Could those games work as a basis for Space Harrier?

I'd say a game like Mr. Driller would be sweet, but I can't think of anyway it could be done on the 2600 and come out good.

Actually, I was working on something similar before I got hooked on doing Space Instigators. It's about half done, but I've been putting off deciding on whether or not to do a complete rewrite based on some of the stuff I learned writing Instigators.

Speaking of puzzle/action games, I've always though Rampart could be done quite well on the 2600...

Chris...