IGNORED

Which game should be ported to ATARI 2600 ?

I think a Zelda style game for the 7800 (or even for the 2600 if done well) would be awesome.

Look at Dark Chambers! I think that was released on the 2600/7800 to compete with Zelda as well as give a home version of Gauntlet to the 2600/7800 faithful.

Wow! What I would love to see on the 7800 are "Super Offroad," "Lode Runner" and "Gauntlet." The Lynx version of "Super Offroad" stinks, "Lode Runner" would have killed on the 7800 and "Gauntlet" was an ATARI product that would have fit well on it's own NES-like system.

quote:

Originally posted by dwh:

"Lode Runner" would be great--the closest we have to that now is Miner 2049er I & II.

I've been a Lode Runner fan since the old IBM-PC/Apple ][ days (had it for both systems). I prefer those versions over the split-screen, NES one, however.

• 7 months later...

There are many arcade games , lots of ATARI 800 , C64 , NES , SMS and other 8 Bit games and maybe even some 16 Bit games which would be possible on an ATARI 2600.

Which game do you want to see on the ATARI 2600 ?

My favourite is Boulder Dash , but this would be difficult to program and would certainly require Extra-RAM.

Thimo

There are a bunch of classic-era games that might adapt well to the 2600 but were too obscure or made by the wrong company at the time. To name a few off the top of my head...

Moon Cresta/Eagle

Scramble (mentioned elsewhere)

Astro Invader (the one I used to call "Slot Car Invaders" as a kid)

Space Panic (CV version is quite good, maybe better than the arcade)

Rally X (lots of scrolling but not too many sprites at a time)

Bosconian (ditto, like sinistar but slower and sparser)

Mappy (a bit more work but a favorite of mine)

Rob

One Player:

Lunar Lander with paddle for fuel and stick for Left/Right.

Text Lunar Lander with keyboard for input fuel over time use.

One or Two Player:

Death Race with driving controller.

Two Player:

O2 Smithereens

Dogpatch!

Make games hard and challenging! This is what is enduring about Marble Craze and Thrust.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Rally X (lots of scrolling but not too many sprites at a time)

Mappy (a bit more work but a favorite of mine)

I would have liked to see both of these and think that both would have been a possibility. Mappy would have been an especially cool port to have.

Galaga (may be hard on a 2600 platform at least there's an improved Galaxian

I was playing "Communist Mutants From Outer Space" yesterday and it occurred to me that there was at least the potential for a "Galaga" hack there. Anyone know how hard it would be to hack a Supercharger game. And, if it could be hacked, could the finished product be put onto cart?

A cart probably wouldn't be feasable (since it requires add'l. ram)...but a hack would definately be possible (since you could play it through SC, CC, or emulation).

@birdie3

I remember a bit of that one...played it a few times with Mame. Didn't really care for it, though.