IGNORED

Which game should be ported to ATARI 2600 ?

So after updating MAME I was finally able to play some rounds of the "Starship 1" arcade. It's surprisingly good. Very fast paced action.

If the VCS "Star Fire" is really supposed to be a port of this, than I must say that the this is the one port that is worse than Pac-Man.

Uh... don't you mean "Star Ship"?

Anyway, Starship 1 was a terrific game, and the first arcade game (for that matter... the first video game) I ever got hooked on. The theater in Seattle showing Star Wars in '77 had one in the lobby, and it was great to walk out of the movie, and over to the game. It was the closest thing at the time to being in the film.

I'd love to see a good 2600 port of it, if the large, scaling sprites could be replicated.

Hi there!

So after updating MAME I was finally able to play some rounds of the "Starship 1" arcade. It's surprisingly good. Very fast paced action.

If the VCS "Star Fire" is really supposed to be a port of this, than I must say that the this is the one port that is worse than Pac-Man.

Uh... don't you mean "Star Ship"?

Whoops! :o :lol:

I'd love to see a good 2600 port of it, if the large, scaling sprites could be replicated.

Attached is a proof of concept demo, which shows that it can be done. (I was in that experimental mood yesterday... :) :) :) )

Greetings,

Manuel

starship.zip

What about a version of HUNCHBACK, I was probably one of the few people that used to enjoy playing this arcade game in the eighties.  When I last tried to get the Mame version running it never worked ever worked for me  :? . Iam sure that ot would be pretty easy to do on the 2600!  :ponder:

no.. I know of one other person that liked Hunchback ;) Not too bad an idea for the 2600! :)

By the way it runs fine in Mame.. what was the problem you were having?

Anyway, Starship 1 was a terrific game, and the first arcade game (for that matter... the first video game) I ever got hooked on. The theater in Seattle showing Star Wars in '77 had one in the lobby, and it was great to walk out of the movie, and over to the game. It was the closest thing at the time to being in the film.

You must've been tall at the time.. I had to get a stool to even SEE into that game :lol: That cabinet was not very small-kid friendly :P

no.. I know of one other person that liked Hunchback ;)

So do I! ;)

Hunchback was one of the very first games I played on my C64 (that replaced the 2600).

Not too bad an idea for the 2600! :)

Yup, though IMO the quite static display makes this a good beginners game.

Hi there!

Just spent a bit of time trying to do some screen mockups for Hunchback on the 2600.  Who knows, If Andrew continues with his tutorial, I might even be able to start on the real thing!  :wink:

As Thomas already said, Hunchback would really be a reasonable first.

To get you jumpstarted, I already converted the music from the C64 version :music: :wink:

Greetings,

Manuel

games.zip

I'd love to see the 2600 version of:[non-arcade] Mattel football handheld game for the 2600... those red blips rule...

Well' date=' it's not like it wasn't planned at one point--

[img']http://home.att.net/~clay.h/atari/mnetwrkcat12.jpg[/img]

Whoa! Retro nostalgia on the ancient system! Is that ironic, or just plain weird??? It's like having Activision Anthology on an Intellivision or something.

I have often thought that Moon Cresta/Eagle, and Astro Invader would be good 2600 ports. I actually started working on Astro Invader, and got as far as drawing the slots and starting to populate them with invaders, figuring it would be easy since using the playfield for slots they'd be 12 pixels (4 cycles) apart, but never got the timing right and then my vacation was over.

Mappy was my favorite arcade game back in the day, but I'm not convinced it's doable on the 2600 without a ton of flickering (and much of Mappy's appeal was the cartoony multicolored sprites, part of what made the MSX version less interesting to me....) so I doubt I would try it, at least not calling it Mappy.

I think Ultravox wouldn't be too hard, though the speech synthesis aspect of it would have to be toned down.

Rob

The NES version only used one channel for the most part; I think you could probably do a passable version with both of the 2600's voices, overriding the less used voice for sound effects. There would be some bad out of tune moments though, I expect, since there are some runs during the jingle that are kind of chromatic.

Anyway, just another reason I don't really want to do it ;)

Also, I was speaking of Stratovox up there, not Ultravox. I don't think anyone has ported Midge Ure to 8-bit systems yet, though it looks from your avatar like someone's been working on getting the guy from Human League working.

The NES version only used one channel for the most part; I think you could probably do a passable version with both of the 2600's voices' date=' overriding the less used voice for sound effects. There would be some bad out of tune moments though, I expect, since there are some runs during the jingle that are kind of chromatic.

Anyway, just another reason I don't really want to do it ;)

Also, I was speaking of Stratovox up there, not Ultravox. I don't think anyone has ported Midge Ure to 8-bit systems yet, though it looks from your avatar like someone's been working on getting the guy from Human League working.[/quote']

LOL someone needs to port Peter Schilling to the 2600. '10,000 points and i've just begun...'

I'm amazed that people have mentioned Black Widow' date=' but not Major Havoc!

[img']http://images.webmagic.com/klov.com/screens/M/zMajor_Havoc.png[/img]It would have to be cut down to "Secret Quest" or "H.E.R.O."-like simplicity, but it could be done.

The best games for the VCS, IMHO, are the original creations, not the ports. Starmaster, not Star Raiders. Enduro, not Pole Position.

I've mentioned Major Havoc before :-)

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.p...ght=major+havoc

Check there to see what I think the 2600 version should look like :-)