IGNORED

New Atari Compatible Console & Controllers

Curt Vendel

New Atari 2600/7800 - which would you choose?  

291 members have voted

1. 1. Which Console Style would you choose?

• Housed in the 2600Jr case, but with Composite output
    • Housed in the Atari 3200 "System X" case with Composite output
  2. 2. New Atari compatible Controllers - what type?

• Atari CX40 styled, but with 2 buttons
    • Atari 3200 "System X" combo joystick/paddles with 2 buttons
    • Atari 7800 Proline joysticks
  3. 3. Console Brand - Would you buy it if it wasn't an Atari brand name console?

• Yes - its the product, not the name
    • No - if it doesn't say Atari on it, I won't buy it.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

$0.02

The 3200 looks nice, but you could do whatever is most cost effective. I would buy this no matter what it looks like.

I've never tried the combo controllers, but if you say they are best - i'll trust that. if i don't like them, there are many other joysticks available that are 2600/7800 compatible.

Again, I think you should go with what's most cost effective.

SD slot: I understand not wanting to compete with harmony cart, but IMHO the harmony was created to fill a need. if the console has an sd cart - it would only add value and marketability to the console and get that need fulfilled for more atari fans. Harmony will still sell for those who want to use their original hardware. imho

On the other hand - if homebrew developers can't sell carts then new game development could suffer. my heart yearns for sd slot. but it's not a deal breaker.

also, front ports, please

• Like 5

$0.02

The 3200 looks nice, but you could do whatever is most cost effective. I would buy this no matter what it looks like.

I've never tried the combo controllers, but if you say they are best - i'll trust that. if i don't like them, there are many other joysticks available that are 2600/7800 compatible.

Again, I think you should go with what's most cost effective.

SD slot: I understand not wanting to compete with harmony cart, but IMHO the harmony was created to fill a need. if the console has an sd cart - it would only add value and marketability to the console and get that need fulfilled for more atari fans. Harmony will still sell for those who want to use their original hardware. imho

On the other hand - if homebrew developers can't sell carts then new game development could suffer. my heart yearns for sd slot. but it's not a deal breaker.

also, front ports, please

I agree about the homebrew comment. I've got a game that I've been working on for a long time and I think I will be able to release some time in the near future, I'm going to do a cartridge release, and I'm probably not going to make any money off of it, but for me its more of the fact that a small set of people will have a game that I developed, that is what means the most to me as a homebrew programmer . . .

• Like 1

OKay,

So, do you want a NEW console that is 2600/7800 compatible in the

2600jr Style:

Atari2600jr.jpg

Or

3200 "System X" Style:

sylvia.JPG

Need as much input from people as possible by Sept 15th please... thanks.

Curt

@ Curt - Maybe put the direct pics in the OP?

I voted the 3200 but I don't think it would sale except to knowledgeable colletors. A case has to be recognized, should either stick with the famous woody 2600 or not as known 7800 shell. I'm still waiting for a 5200 Flashback with updated selectable self centering Wico style sticks.

I do like the idea of the paddle sticks, a shame the Atari 5200 never got these. I played The Jaks TV Games has Pole Position with the twist stick and it works pretty well.

But In this age of gamepads, sticks might be a bad choice. Sure, it does keep with the Retro feel, but not idea for todays market. Anyone who has done a marathon session with a 2600, 5200 or 7800 stick knows how much more ergonomic a gamepad is. The 5200 and 7800 sticks are really bad leading to hand cramps which is why I use a Wico on the 5200 and a Genesis pad on the 7800. Go with the Euro 7800 pad design, but keep the 2600 compatible ports. This way any Retro 2600 Stick or Genesis Pad will plug in.

Edited by CRTGAMER

I think it's kind of dumb to ask for any other stick than the 3200 ones because regular Atari sticks and reproductions of them are very common. If the controller ports are going to be the same anyway, why ask to manufacture more of what's already available? 3200 sticks would be much less common even after these are produced.

• Like 1

FYI, by 'price point' I meant... $179 would probably be crossing into the "do I need this" category.

Yeah, I thought of that after the fact. Price would be a thing that would slow me from buying it. I would get it I'm sure, but the price would slow me down if it was too high. Well, that and if it didn't review well.

Another question, will I be able to use other controllers? I have a modded NES pad that I'm very pleased with, and a few other controllers I use from time to time. I'm sure this has been covered but I clearly missed it in my sudden excited rush to say I would love to have this item.

This is why I'd like to see just a drop-in replacement motherboard for an existing console. The cost would be FRACTIONAL to an entire thing with controllers, which would HAVE to be expensive (economics mandate it) in the volumes we're talking about. Just a new motherboard would be quite practical, and cheap (relative). I think many more would sell.

FYI, by 'price point' I meant... $179 would probably be crossing into the "do I need this" category.

Yeah, I thought of that after the fact. Price would be a thing that would slow me from buying it. I would get it I'm sure, but the price would slow me down if it was too high. Well, that and if it didn't review well.

Another question, will I be able to use other controllers? I have a modded NES pad that I'm very pleased with, and a few other controllers I use from time to time. I'm sure this has been covered but I clearly missed it in my sudden excited rush to say I would love to have this item.

This is why I'd like to see just a drop-in replacement motherboard for an existing console. The cost would be FRACTIONAL to an entire thing with controllers, which would HAVE to be expensive (economics mandate it) in the volumes we're talking about. Just a new motherboard would be quite practical, and cheap (relative). I think many more would sell.

My opinion differs on that. My 2600jr was broken for a while - After I finally brought it back to life, I don't wanna go replacing the original board with something new. I'd rather have a complete, new, polished product.

• Like 1

I have 2 questions:

As the 3200 combo controller will only sport only a singe paddle for each side, will the 3200 controller ports support using the standard paddles that have two on each side for playing 4-player 2600 paddle games?

And.. will the new console have support for any future 7800 homebrew games that would feature 4-player paddle control, like warlords? (again with the standard paddles)

As the 3200 combo controller will only sport only a singe paddle for each side, will the 3200 controller ports support using the standard paddles that have two on each side for playing 4-player 2600 paddle games?

I don't know for sure, but in my mind it wouldn't be 2600 compatible if it didn't support 2 paddles per port.

And.. will the new console have support for any future 7800 homebrew games that would feature 4-player paddle control, like warlords? (again with the standard paddles)

If the hardware exists in 2600 mode you can also use it in 7800 mode. However, getting steady paddle readings will be game dependent.

But In this age of gamepads, sticks might be a bad choice. Sure, it does keep with the Retro feel, but not idea for todays market. Anyone who has done a marathon session with a 2600, 5200 or 7800 stick knows how much more ergonomic a gamepad is. The 5200 and 7800 sticks are really bad leading to hand cramps which is why I use a Wico on the 5200 and a Genesis pad on the 7800. Go with the Euro 7800 pad design, but keep the 2600 compatible ports. This way any Retro 2600 Stick or Genesis Pad will plug in.

I have some 7800 pads and have used Master System controllers on my 2600. I always end up going back to my Wico sticks with the button on top. I can get a very good rhythm going in Enduro and Megamania with my eyes closed using a Wico, as opposed to using a game pad, where I may as well be catching baseballs with my feet. :x

• Like 2

Wish I could vote other. I think the design should be something all new yet still retain some of the same characteristics of the 5200, 7800. and 2600 Jr.

That would be cool, but I suspect Curt is hoping to work with current shell designs (and molds?) so there is less to create. Building the internals will be enough of a challenge!

This is an image I found from a creative fellow on DeviantArt. By no means am I wishing to badly side-track things or seriously suggest this; the 3200 shell is completely awesome.

Once again, I'm not really proposing this (this project obviously doesn't need a system with 6 button controllers, memory cards, a light gun or a CD-rom, etc, and it's probably highly impractical for a variety of reasons). I just thought it was cool and somewhat on-topic.

post-26714-0-22682600-1315861468_thumb.jpg

It's from: http://epsiloneagle.deviantart.com/art/Atari-Prosystem-2-216029745