IGNORED

New Atari Compatible Console & Controllers

Curt Vendel

New Atari 2600/7800 - which would you choose?  

291 members have voted

1. 1. Which Console Style would you choose?

• Housed in the 2600Jr case, but with Composite output
    • Housed in the Atari 3200 "System X" case with Composite output
  2. 2. New Atari compatible Controllers - what type?

• Atari CX40 styled, but with 2 buttons
    • Atari 3200 "System X" combo joystick/paddles with 2 buttons
    • Atari 7800 Proline joysticks
  3. 3. Console Brand - Would you buy it if it wasn't an Atari brand name console?

• Yes - its the product, not the name
    • No - if it doesn't say Atari on it, I won't buy it.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Bravo! EXACTLY. Most "audiophiles" (love the use of the quotes, which I agree with, completely) are merely ignorant morons, willing to throw beaucoup dollars towards OBSCENELY-overpriced stereo equipment. They like to pretend that their ears are "superior" to the rest of us. HA HA HA!!!!! I appreciate GREAT audio equipment, and I feel fortunate that in the 21st century (and sometime prior) you can get excellent stuff for cheap. Of course, there will always be a nice market of idiots, willing to THROW their money away (sacrificing other goods/services, of course) and pretend to be "experts".......enter the "audiophile."

And here's the other question... how many of them spend four digits on their audio gear... and then shove it into the worst corner of the room in their home that happens to be the worst room acoustically?

I can understand them thinking that model of PS1 having maybe some slightly better components in the audio processing track... but it's really not worth it.

I bought an SCPH-1001 for like 10 bucks at a pawn shop once. It was broken, but I revived it. Shortly afterward, it died for good, but I liked having the A/V outputs on the back, so I bought a couple more broken ones off ebay and managed to fix both of them with parts from my first one, so now I have two. And I'm not at all unsatisfied with the $30 or so it cost me in total. :P

By the way, I didn't buy them because I wanted a CD player. I bought them because I wanted to play Crash Bandicoot again. :D

I did feel like they had a slightly 'warmer' sound than my standalone CD player, though, if that makes any sense. I think it's a matter of preference rather than one being clearly better than the other, though.

Curt,

What a great idea I could be very interested in a system!

I wonder if you could clarify the PAL/NTSC compatibility?

Are you proposing the system has video output in PAL & NTSC or that the system will be able to use PAL & NTSC region carts? Or both?

Having a full PAL 7800 collection which is effectivly region locked I'd have to think quite hard to re-aquire them all in NTSC (mind you I could then get Robotron!)

I'd love it to have VGA output!

sTeVE

I don't know if this is actually necessary, but I'm voting for wired controllers, please. I am so sick to death of having to swap/charge batteries all of the time.

And it's just as easy to plug in your favorite wireless adapter, if that's your thing. Though it seems a bit silly to me, considering the fact that most of the buttons are on the console itself, so you're still "tethered" to it.

Edited by Asaki
  • Like 1

I don't know if this is actually necessary, but I'm voting for wired controllers, please. I am so sick to death of having to swap/charge batteries all of the time.

And it's just as easy to plug in your favorite wireless adapter, if that's your thing. Though it seems a bit silly to me, considering the fact that most of the buttons are on the console itself, so you're still "tethered" to it.

Yeah... I'll buy it either way, but wired controllers would be a slight perk, IMO.

Though it seems a bit silly to me, considering the fact that most of the buttons are on the console itself, so you're still "tethered" to it.

This lol, When I play my 2600 I keep it very close so I can swap carts without having to get up when I get bored with one game and hit reset when I get a game over.

• Like 1

I wonder if you could clarify the PAL/NTSC compatibility?

Are you proposing the system has video output in PAL & NTSC or that the system will be able to use PAL & NTSC region carts? Or both?

NTSC only, and even then it'll only work in the states of Oklahoma, Colorado, and Rhode Island. Even then, it'll only be color output if your last name begins with a V or an C.

• Like 1

This thread has inspired me to really start snagging up 7800 games--anybody else? I only had two before. Never really gave the system much of a chance, outside of some playtime on Ballblazer.

Looking especially forward to Galaga and Joust.

It's inspiring me to buy Crossbow and a light gun - probably a SMS light phaser and I'll just build a conversion cable.

I'm late in seeing this thread, but I'm super excited.

Price is no issue for me, although I'm wondering whether this console is supposed to be sold to the hardcore Atari fans only (resulting in a fairly high price), or if a wider audience is intended (where a lower price is essential).

Controller-wise I'd actually prefer a gamepad with either a d-pad or thumbstick. I use the 7800 gamepad on my 2600.

RGB Scart would be awesome :)

Will this new console be more than just a 2600/7800 and actually have new hardware features for making games with? (eg, improved resolution/sprite counts/colors/sound, etc.)

Any connectivity to the Internet? Linking to aa?

I suspect not. A TCP/IP stack is quite an undertaking on an 8-bitter (although solutions do exist). Plus you'd need some sort of "browser" too. Only a few people would use it and then be sorely disappointed with the results (when comparing it to modern surfing experiences).

• Like 1

I suspect not. A TCP/IP stack is quite an undertaking on an 8-bitter (although solutions do exist). Plus you'd need some sort of "browser" too. Only a few people would use it and then be sorely disappointed with the results (when comparing it to modern surfing experiences).

i saw this question, and thought 'high score leaderboard?' but yes, probably the technical limitations make this too impractical or too expensive to add to the console. you'd need some sort of modem and some way for the console to identify itself. still, a man can dream...

i saw this question, and thought 'high score leaderboard?' but yes, probably the technical limitations make this too impractical or too expensive to add to the console. you'd need some sort of modem and some way for the console to identify itself. still, a man can dream...

I think the easiest way to do something like that would be in software with a code generated and manually input on a website. I wonder if it could even be done above the game level, so titles wouldn't have to be rewritten. Not as nice as automatic, though.

Edited by Reaperman

You'd need to go through all the legacy games and figure out where their score data is stored in RAM (or time, whatever metric you want to compare), hook into their game over routines to hand over data to the "internet" etc. You'd also have additional hardware cost (LAN/WiFi interface) and MAC address fees to pay on top.

What about a system changer or adapter to play the 5200 games as well.

That's a cool idea, but I'd imagine that would have to be an entirely different project. Also, it seems kind of beyond the scope of what the "3200" (don't know what else to call it) is supposed to be about. First things first!

(As far as hypothetical 5200 hardware-brew is concerned, I'd rather see new Atari 5200 controllers with better buttons, myself. :-D But, that's neither here nor there.)

:)