IGNORED

New Atari Compatible Console & Controllers

Curt Vendel

New Atari 2600/7800 - which would you choose?  

291 members have voted

1. 1. Which Console Style would you choose?

• Housed in the 2600Jr case, but with Composite output
    • Housed in the Atari 3200 "System X" case with Composite output
  2. 2. New Atari compatible Controllers - what type?

• Atari CX40 styled, but with 2 buttons
    • Atari 3200 "System X" combo joystick/paddles with 2 buttons
    • Atari 7800 Proline joysticks
  3. 3. Console Brand - Would you buy it if it wasn't an Atari brand name console?

• Yes - its the product, not the name
    • No - if it doesn't say Atari on it, I won't buy it.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

The first model, SCPH 1001 included 'em thusly: 070604_2.jpg

I had one of those until a neighborhood power spike in 1997 took out all of the electronics on our block. When I sent it away for repair, Sony only partially fixed it so that only one channel of sound worked when it was returned 4 months later.

As I understand it, this model is the "audiophile" PSX because it offered better CD reproduction than many of the high-end CD players at the time or even many years later. Having composite audio outputs built-in made it perfect for plugging into a decent audio system. Of course, even if the audio is great, you still would have to use a PSX controller to navigate the CD... so eh...

NO

The extra jacks fools "audiophiles" into thinking the PSX has better sounds. Any decent CD player sounds better and won't have skipping issues the early plastic rail drives had. The PSX also had a dedicated SVideo port in the first japanese models, I snagged one at the swap meet and it does not sound any different then the 7000 series.

SVideo and the unique non polarized AC input

psx22mz.jpg

Edited by CRTGAMER

I love the look of those 3200 controllers, and I especially love the possibility of simultaneously using stick and paddle control. My only concern is the buttons mounted on the side. They remind me of the Pro-Line, which I love but most others hate.

The console itself, I'm liking the unique yet still old look, like the next generation of retro gaming. Front ports though, please. :P As for the lack of woodgrain, well it's not like 7800 ever had that anyway (that I know of).

Output? Ideally, I would have it compatible with old TVs, newer CRTs with the A/V or that other thing, and also compatible with those HDTVs. But I'll just adapt to whatever style the developer chooses here.

Need as much input from people as possible by Sept 15th please... thanks.

This thread flew under my radar for a very long time... now that I found it, I'm excited! Today's the deadline, what conclusions have you drawn, Curt?

BTW, as a complete afterthought, will the Pause button be a part of the design?

BTW, as a complete afterthought, will the Pause button be a part of the design?

Pause on the 7800 is the same as the Colour/Mono switch on the 2600. Do you mean the pause circuit that came out for the 2600?

Si.

maybe a stupid question, but if the pause function is diferent for 7800 and 2600, would that require 2 pause buttons?

maybe a stupid question, but if the pause function is diferent for 7800 and 2600, would that require 2 pause buttons?

Normally, but I bet it could be made into a single Pause button with some tricky planning.

We're talking about making a 2600/5200/7800 all in one right? If we can make an all in one unit, or even a 2600/7800, I'm sure Curt can figure out a pause button :D

This looks like an amazing project that has been a long time coming. Clearly there was a learning curve that you went through in creating the XM that is now paying dividends in the new Model 3200 System X. I could not be more excited for this! Mark me down for 3 systems plus 3 bonus 3200 joysticks regardless of price point or timeframe, I'm happy to place a pre-order and wait it out patiently without gripe or complaint until you're good to go. We believe in you and it's clear this is going to be the project of projects.

I'd be careful using the Syzygy name to enter the video game market. I'd advise against it. At the very least you should coordinate with Justin first before you commit any projects to that name. Syzygy is still very much in business and has been using their brand name in commerce since 1993. Syzygy has some new games coming out soon inspired by 2-D retro classics and have that classic arcade feel to them, they're really expanding in that market. I played the Syzygy Pinball video game it was a lot of fun and really well done. There's also a new kind of Syzygy coin-op machine in the works that I can't talk about (maybe he's already contacted you about it I know Legacy was mentioned a few times before as a potential contractor because of the good work you did with the Awesome Arcades machines and the interface between the controls and the computer). Also, Syzygy has purchased media for a campaign that will place multiple full page ads in different newspapers and magazines like Wired Magazine and so forth, so the Syzygy name is and will be out there in gaming being actively promoted and I don't know about the resulting confusion or legal reprecussions. I think if anyone else were to try that it would result in a C&D faster than you could say Kristen J. Keller. And if that's the case you might as well just put a fuji on it, or maybe call it Kee Games.

You should really give Justin a call, I'm sure he'd be happy to hear from you and supportive of the 3200 project. I remember he tried contacting you through Karl a while back but you were very ill and he was concerned over that. If you don't have his number you could probably call Lance and he could get you in touch with his private line, I'll let Lance know you might call. I think that ever since everything with Syzygy he's become very private. (Like a Kevin Flynn) It's been an intense project and I know he cares very much about the Syzygy legacy, the brand he's built and the Atari community that inspired it all and brought it all together. Everyone at Syzygy feels that way, 100%. He also cares about you as a person. I know he feels just like the rest of us do about Atari Inc. coming down hard on the community over its IP so I'm sure he wouldnt be that way with you, not at all. He'd be supportive. Maybe you guys could work together? I have no doubt he'd be excited about the 3200 project and would want to contribute in some meaningful way and let you use the Syzygy name if you two coordinated. Heck I bet he'd even design a really sharp looking retail box and user's manual for you and get boxes printed up professionally and whatever else just to support the 3200 System X project as a collaborative effort. He's in CA so who knows right now. He could probably also help get some extra distribution thru Thinkgeek etc, I bet the 3200 would do really well that way. I just know what Syzygy's lawyers are like and how aggressive they can be and what they will do if left to their own devices. They are like all crazy lawyers and find things to do to run up the bill. I know they freaked when they realized what happened to http://www.syzygygames.com, I think somewhere down the pike someone slipped up with auto-renew and it fell out of the system and they couldnt immediately renew it I guess. I don't know. Just give Justin a call first and I'm sure it will be really friendly. I give you my word.

But hey regardless of all that, I'd like to propose a Toast to the new 3200 project on behalf of Syzygy and The Official AtariAge Wine Snob Club... "To The Atari System That Never Was, But Always Should Have Been..." and to your continued effort! You deserve the support of the entire community and I'm sure everyone who knows you will be behind this all the way! HEAR, HEAR!

Your Friend,

Joe

• Like 2

Well, looks like we are going 3200 all the way, okay....

Well I'm going to get the CAD guy working and get things started.... the Controllers will be done short term, will have them made for direct DB9 connection use AND as the new "Classic 2" USB controllers for PC/Mac users.

On the controllers will be a slide switch for 2600/7800 mode for the RIGHT fire button... so in 2600 mode, using the Paddle, the fire button on paddles is actually joystick left) so in 2600 mode, that button would work for paddle games, in 7800 mode it would be the "B" button for 7800 games that require the extra button, like Xevious and others...

Well, I'll have the CAD files started and let that get started, need to get the final bugs hashed out on the CPLD for the 7800XM and get those bad boys shipping and out to everything, then I can more full time into the console and I'll be bringing in a close friend to help with the new FPGA design.

Curt

• Like 6

It is a great project, but i wouldn't get it if has VGA. My younger brother is more update to date electronic than I said my television can't use VGA unlike his new television.

The television I have isn't a new television set at all. It a tube television set that I bought in 2006 or 2007. At the time, I felt the games I have from older game systems were made for an older television set. When my younger brother had to buy a new television set, his nes games to Saturn games looked not as good on his new television set that has VGA compare to his old tube television set.

I have 32 Sharp SDTV. My television set even can't use a Blu-ray player.

My television is great for game systems that have av cables from older game system such as the Snes.

Edited by 8th lutz

It is a great project, but i wouldn't get it if has VGA. ...

My television is great for game systems that have av cables from older game system such as the Snes.

I'm in the same boat - no spare VGA monitors or compatible TVs, and I don't have space for yet-another-monitor so composite out would be my choice for video output.

[Edit]. Ah, looking back at the poll I see composite out seems to be the choice. Perfect.

Edited by BydoEmpire

I just seen this thread (btw, I suggest to post links to it in the 2600 and 7800 forums, as is not very visible in the "classic gaming general" section) and I think this will be the most amazing Atari related product ever!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I have the 3200 controllers, they are a little smaller then the 5200 controllers and feel very comfortable in your hand.... playing games is perfect with them, they are stiff for joystick usage and the paddle works perfectly. The left button is always fire button A, the right fire button is either (2600 mode - Paddle Fire Button) or (7800 Mode - Fire Button B) with a slide switch in the front of the joystick, so you are able to select which way the buttons work which is versatile and handy.

I like those design a lot, but I'd suggest a slighty different arrangement for the buttons:

- slide switch in joystick mode: the buttons work like in the proline joystick (so they both act as the 2600 fire button in 2600 mode or with single button 7800 games). The paddle pot is disconnected.

- slide switch in paddle mode: the paddle pot is connected and both buttons act as the paddle fire button.

The reason for disconnecting the pot when in joystick mode is to avoid that an homebrew game with controller autodetection code could see the paddle if not desired. The harmony for example will swicth in paddle mode if the pot is detected and you can't use the stick to navigate the menu (this happens with the coleco gemini and sears video arcade II / atari 2800 controllers).

How will you deal with the second paddle line? 4 controller ports like the 2800/svaII, Y-cable adapter like the coleco gemini, a pass-throough connector on the joystick or something else?

I've read that it will have a NTSC/PAL switch for the composite video output, so that it will work on TV from both regions, but will the console only run NTSC games?

I'd like if it could also have a NTSC/PAL switch for the games. This second switch should change the palette in 2600 mode and the vertical timing of the display generated by the maria chip in 7800 mode (I don't know if there are differences between PAL and NTSC palettes in 7800 mode).

And how does the scan converter deal with the 2600 display? Many 2600 games have a number of scanlines that deviates from the standard 262 / 312 for PAL / NTSC, and sometimes the scanline count isn't even costant during the game. Some homebrews have been released in PAL-60 format too, that is with NTSC vertical timing but colors adjusted for the PAL 2600 palette. Will the scan converter always output an on-spec NTSC or PAL video signal (depending on the position of the output format switch) no matter what the scanline count of the game is? Or it just convert the color encoding from NTSC to PAL and viceversa, leaving the scanlines unaltered?

It would be great if the console could include an RGB enabled scart connector other than composite and VGA, so that it could be connected to CRT TV with the best video quality (or to an lcd without VGA input). Or maybe just the pads with the signals on the board so that it could be added by hacking the console.

I like the junior design (it was my first console), but in that case I'd like to have the difficulty switches in the top along with the other switches. Controller ports on the front would be nice, too.

The 3200 case is great, albeit less recognizable, but I'm concerned about the glossy finish which could be more prone to scratches. Maybe you could keep that design but have the surface textured like on the classic 7800 and 2600 consoles.

And I hope you will include a proper TV-Type switch for the 2600 games that need it.

:)

Edited by alex_79

It would be great if the console could include an RGB enabled scart connector other than composite and VGA, so that it could be connected to CRT TV with the best video quality (or to an lcd without VGA input). Or maybe just the pads with the signals on the board so that it could be added by hacking the console.

Scart has always been the choice for best picture quality for PAL/NTSC based consoles, but is this connection as common in USA? Component video gives the same quality (given the same resolution).

VGA would also be nice. The double line resolution gives possibilities to do some custom scaling, like the xrgb-3 does.

Everyone has his own preferences ofcourse, I would like HDMI, since I running out of legacy connections :)

Scart has always been the choice for best picture quality for PAL/NTSC based consoles, but is this connection as common in USA? Component video gives the same quality (given the same resolution).

You'd have to try pretty hard to find an Scart tv in the USA. I believe the scart cable passes a variety of signals, the nicest one being RGB and the TV just picks the nicest available--correct me if I'm wrong on this one.

You'd have to try pretty hard to find an Scart tv in the USA. I believe the scart cable passes a variety of signals, the nicest one being RGB and the TV just picks the nicest available--correct me if I'm wrong on this one.

That's correct. Although some tv's just pick the composite signal, if it's not connected right, or if the tv doesn't support RGB on a particular scart input. You might have to choose S-Video manually.

What is the most popular connection (besides HDMI) on new USA tv's?