IGNORED

Cybernoid WIP

snicklin

8 hours ago, popmilo said:

Well, "g2f" file has all that info in it.
Like 256 bytes for each player, and there's also 256 Xpositions or something like "in line 123 change x pos of playef 3 to this value"...

There's also "save as asm data" for example, and it looks like this:

All the info including charsets, colors etc is in this asm file. Example in attachment.

image.thumb.png.e40a8c4733e22d3af5d56c233c93cb7c.png

Rambo_C64_Tezz.asm 51.75 kB · 0 downloads

Had a look at it. That was exactly what I was asking for. Brilliant!

• Like 1

Latest version of level_1 (but I already started _2):

373819695_level_1MAP.thumb.png.770b6212400204e2c2235340e138baf6.png

Why? Because I need to. The colours now went like this:

-> darker brown and gold 'outside' walls makes more difference to the 'inside' playing area blues/cyan;

-> the large 'uggly' creatures are also darker 'terror' looking and you can also see that theirs eyes and teeths are lighter/totally different so distinguishable to the skin (so even better than C64 and/or CPC ones);

-> some pixels changes 'here and there'...;

Will try to get the other 3levels in about 2weeks...

:thumbsup:

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 10

Time now to show level_2:

930756026_level_2MAP.thumb.png.ec86d66fa8fc3adbfb20c3ea6539384c.png

That 'blank' white gap screen is on all versions:

397454486_gapandnoscreen_ZX.thumb.png.6060253f46149622540fab967b2ff246.png

719982536_gapandnoscreen_CPC.png.59045cbfb9cba0aafb09023f12e06320.png

2042836667_gapandnoscreen_C64.thumb.png.5776c2c81d9bf847ab6a0f0bcde9d12e.png

Because of this:

Later and for coder I need to correspond these into the ZXs ones following its order (here I was just starting adding first C64 ones to be simple for me but need to now change for the CPCs ones. This is toughest the part but will do for sure...):

1718038336_CybernoidIIZXtiles.thumb.png.ee0592effa07150cbd39dded6190f794.png

Need to build that screen when have these chars/tiles correspondants to the ZX done though now isn't important. Indeed isn't any importance as you don't go to this screen in any way :roll::rolling:...

Also there's a 'sort of mistake on original and even on C64 wider screen (32 -> 40Bytes) that is the screen that hasn't a vertical wall on its leftest side. You can see on those and here's a cut of the A8 version:

1226977025_gapandnoscreen_A8.thumb.png.4ee077c07b4e012a94514e2f12e54c28.png

Seeing many videos from all the versions and is the same: we can destroy the bomb to pick-up the item/bonus above (so it drops) and even at least one more (I think...), even destroting all the these? but none of the guys playing goes up to see what will happen.

Inddeed this particular screen shows like this:

712536085_level_2line_2screen_2.png.5313f4196e78f5b5abdfe66b0c139651.png

So if we go up and don't remember from the left one (we already went) can not go to the left if code is right? 

Anyone good at playing or cheating can try to get into here (any of the 3versions: ZX, CPC and/or C64 doesn't mater) just to all know. Almost sure there's no error and the ship will not pass by to the left.

But why didn't they just put there a vertical wall? Can we go or not to that part of the screen it would still loog right this way.

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 9

each looks like a gateway to get there, but you would only sit in such a place to duck out and back in for timing to avoid something in case of such portals. Might have been done for aesthetics or for an unimplemented idea. Possibly could be implemented who knows.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

each looks like a gateway to get there, but you would only sit in such a place to duck out and back in for timing to avoid something in case of such portals. Might have been done for aesthetics or for an unimplemented idea. Possibly could be implemented who knows.

Think is that but because there's that think above (that can't be destroyed there's no way to get into that line and on there you couldn't go back):

passway.png.ce551e65da83dee6833a69cc23411324.png

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 1

/silly ideas/

Maybe install transport panels, nearby, to allow one enter there and back, but only allow use if you've collected a specific item or met some other criteria. Make the items inside destructible or at least more useful.

/-silly ideas/

Edited by AtariNerd
More silliness
  • Haha 1

On 2/8/2023 at 4:26 PM, José Pereira said:

Think is that but because there's that think above (that can't be destroyed there's no way to get into that line and on there you couldn't go back):

passway.png.ce551e65da83dee6833a69cc23411324.png

Important is that the screen can be on A8:

617437367_level_3line_1screen_4-.png.ae31612592dd65f440a3d5415b51cf6f.png

level_3 line_1 screen_4 -.xex

:)

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 6

I'm doing gfxs using CPC version but some are different than C64 (Z80 versions are the original so other than the aspect ratio ZX and CPC they're the same).

For example the mines/bombs whatever they are:

-> ZX / CPC:

605928923_minesanddiamondsZX.png.3e79e8e802593f9c6140de16745a3c9c.png 1567606760_minesanddiamondsCPC.png.5bca2811e435411356dfc20fbc12bb86.png

-> C64:

1994699097_minesanddiamondsC64.png.cd448c4d16c793a0414d6818ca9379d6.png

So we can see the difference between diamonds and them but also the walls, ground,... because they're diferently coloured.

On A8 there's no possible PMGs to use on these so I tried many designs but always using C64 design (I thought looked better:

986737711_minesanddiamondsA8.png.5e8a1aea9013ca4f2ec9e4e5334d32f8.png

But from yesterday that I decide that I wasn't liking and I must really get them as different as possible (that they 'shine'/distinguish more to all other things). Whatever 'inside' colour (white, blue, cyan,...) no way so again (tried on the past with no sucess) I get the CPC ones and with some rework now look like this on an example screen that I added some diamonds to see difference between the lookings:

1598071931_level_1line_1screen_1_b.png.3334697189c08cca0f1317ff01da6428.png

level_1 line_1 screen_1 _b.xex

:roll:

Of course that can still be improved but the white is what really makes them different to the others, isn't it?

What's your opinion? Should I go with this and replace on all the screens?

P.s.- Also the new 'X' design makes them more distinctable...

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Steril707 said:

Great!

That looks indeed very promising.

@José Pereira

Is there already a coder dedicated to this project or is it like with Platman?

It's such a tragedy that Platman isn't finished although all the graphics were converted in such a great way. Still wish to play Platman one day on an A8.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, patjomki said:

That looks indeed very promising.

@José Pereira

Is there already a coder dedicated to this project or is it like with Platman?

It's such a tragedy that Platman isn't finished although all the graphics were converted in such a great way. Still wish to play Platman one day on an A8.

Platman was started and all screens (possible moving through all them across the game and some more things...) but instantly the guy no longer continued, replied to my calls,... though he's still active with a 2nd Platman and many more games on the C64 (indeed he was a C64 coder and was him that wanted to do an A8 version).

Regarding Cybernoid II is the usual PMGs to add colours like we (me and @mariuszw) did on other C64 and ZX ports on the past I just start doing this after he said here he had most of the ZXs Z80 code studied:

I think mode E is an option here. But since Spectrum version is 256 pixels wide, a "hybrid" mode could be used to allow 5th color for playfield, at the expense of slightly awkward screen addressing.  I am thinking of having characters 0-$1f in first line, $20-$3f in second line, $40-$5f in third line and $60-$7f in fourth line. in next line, character generator is pointed to +$400, and whole thing repeats down the screen. So actual bitmap to draw on is character generator memory, while characters can will be used to implement one bit color map (to enable 5th color). In this more drawing can be done even faster, when we draw column by column - up to 8 bytes can be written without adjustment of pointers and also pointers adjusted by increasing high byte of screen pointer. The drawback is ANTIC bad lines and interrupts to change character generator address.

I actually have 95% completed disassembly of ZX Spectrum Cybernoid 2.

Mariusz.

I'm just ending some things and will ask him if he wants to start the translation to A8...

• Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 7:24 PM, _The Doctor__ said:

I've seen this happen too many times, C64 coder says they want to do 'Atari' takes all assets to implement in some fashion for use on the 64 and never does the Atari. Just a way to get the best possible without doing all the work.

Well, for more creative than engineering people c64 is by far the easier machine.

You get 8 multicolour/hires sprites, 16 colours in 160x200 mode, 256 character charsets and a soundchip with 3 16-bit-voices, pwd and sawtooth, triangle, rectangle, adsr envelopes just out of the box.

To achieve (nearly) similar results on an A800 you need to understand p/m-multiplexing, p/m overlays, displaylists, dlis for loading more than a single charset and pokeys volume only bit...

Apart from the fact that some programmers perhaps do not understand these principles it also takes more time to code and needs more ram and that all for a smaler audience.

Edited by patjomki
  • Like 1

just been watching a quick snippet of the C64 version of Cybernoid:

Honestly if there is any chance of getting close to this, or rather do what the A8 version of Prince of Persia did and create a superior game (in so far as playing to the A8's strengths rather than just trying to mimic another 8-bit) -  it will be amazing.

The above animation and sound would be awesome if carried over in the A8 version in some guise.

Interestingly the C64 CPU runs at near 1mhz whilst the A8's Sally runs 1.77/79mhz, (PAL/NTSC). I read a lot more cycles are used up by the A8 so it sort of doesn't make the A8 that much fast for most games. The exception being 3D games, where - case in point - I believe Rescue on Fractalus on the A8 is notably faster than the C64 version.

Sound wise remember the Pokey is really being explored and exploited at the moment with amazing work from the likes of Vinscool.

It still utterly amazes me there is an A8 version of the original Amiga title sound track for the classic game Battle squadron that sounds almost as good as the original Amiga tune in some respects:

Battle Squadron 2x V49 (1).xex

(as a little extra a Rastaconversion of the latter's title screen - well, may as well :))

Battlesquadrontitleincomplete16.xex

Incidentally I've often wished the Battle squadron tune had been incorporated into the Atariblast! game as it's backing track. Not sure if it's even possible. (I have seen other tunes replace the original in that game, but I assume this Battle squadron tune takes up too many cpu cycles to play and also run the game at the same time? It would be amazing to play Atariblast! with that as the tune. :)

Anyway - I digress. Amazing work José :) on Cybernoid to date.

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, patjomki said:

Well, for more creative than engineering people c64 is by far the easier machine.

You get 8 multicolour/hires sprites, 16 colours in 160x200 mode, 256 character charsets and a soundchip with 3 16-bit-voices, pwd and sawtooth, triangle, rectangle, adsr envelopes just out of the box.

To achieve (nearly) similar results on an A800 you need to understand p/m-multiplexing, p/m overlays, displaylists, dlis for loading more than a single charset and pokeys volume only bit...

Apart from the fact that some programmers perhaps do not understand these principles it also takes more time to code and needs more ram and that all for a smaler audience.

True, but that's what makes the A8 the more interesting machine to me.

Like all Jay Miner designs, with the right combination of code and design you can really make a game shine and stand out.

• Like 3

On 3/9/2023 at 7:12 PM, Beeblebrox said:

just been watching a quick snippet of the C64 version of Cybernoid:

Honestly if there is any chance of getting close to this, or rather do what the A8 version of Prince of Persia did and create a superior game (in so far as playing to the A8's strengths rather than just trying to mimic another 8-bit) -  it will be amazing.

The above animation and sound would be awesome if carried over in the A8 version in some guise.

Interestingly the C64 CPU runs at near 1mhz whilst the A8's Sally runs 1.77/79mhz, (PAL/NTSC). I read a lot more cycles are used up by the A8 so it sort of doesn't make the A8 that much fast for most games. The exception being 3D games, where - case in point - I believe Rescue on Fractalus on the A8 is notably faster than the C64 version.

Sound wise remember the Pokey is really being explored and exploited at the moment with amazing work from the likes of Vinscool.

It still utterly amazes me there is an A8 version of the original Amiga title sound track for the classic game Battle squadron that sounds almost as good as the original Amiga tune in some respects:

Battle Squadron 2x V49 (1).xex 32.66 kB · 12 downloads

(as a little extra a Rastaconversion of the latter's title screen - well, may as well :))

Battlesquadrontitleincomplete16.xex 22.05 kB · 13 downloads

Incidentally I've often wished the Battle squadron tune had been incorporated into the Atariblast! game as it's backing track. Not sure if it's even possible. (I have seen other tunes replace the original in that game, but I assume this Battle squadron tune takes up too many cpu cycles to play and also run the game at the same time? It would be amazing to play Atariblast! with that as the tune. :)

Anyway - I digress. Amazing work José :) on Cybernoid to date.

Just to see what it could look like I started some working on the Cybernoid I using same exactly method of PMGs colourings using a same, again, ZXs Z80 possible disassemble to A8.

Now we have different is that I put PF2 in gray instead of another blue. this way I can get redish/pinkish walls plants but also other gfxs PMGs orings to any colour of the A8 palette.

Here's the 1st screen that I added some stuff there to see what it could look like:

1017351996_startingpositionA8_2.png.eb7efa4a8ac9fb7c10291233650a6474.png

starting position A8 _2.xex

Some notes:

-> This is a mix of the gfxs: some are using CPC (turns) while others from C64 (grounds/plants), walls/platforms of ZX (translated to 2:1 ratio) and I even redone some to my please and liking...

-> The walls/plants on left have redish colour_3 and on the right pinkish colour_4. What you prefer?

-> Our ship and items to be collected will use blue/cyan/white but enemys? I'm thinking of (usual in C64 hardware sprites) have them blue/gray/white to makes the difference to our ship (you can see those two with gray on the left and cyan on the right then this would be the same as our ship). Opinions?

-> On the top under the roof platform regarding those two types ones: the rockets seems better with cyan while the mini-towers better with gray, isn't it:

I just saw some screens and studied quickly the levels maps but doesn't seem much different but maybe on some screens I will 'run out' of PMGs for aditional colours... I'll just try some more to see and post examples here soon...

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 6

For level_1 done by now 4 screens. They're not consecutive as I'm choosing ones that has different types of gfxs to see if can or not have PMGs colourings so this isn't definitive because I may find some screens that can't then have to go back and remove them. By now and seeing maps and cut screens seems these ones here coloured with PMG 2&3 can have. This time I'm choosing to drop the screens over the ZX map so you can see what will come next and the difference(s) :roll::

1187101978_CybernoidImaplevel_1A8.thumb.png.74a587333968a1f85837776d773343a9.png

More soon :arrow:...

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 9