IGNORED

Trashmania: Remix (Now with beginner's guide!)

Animan

Trashmania: Remix Cart release  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming Trashmania: Remix is released on cartridge, would you be willing to buy it?

• Yes
    • No (if you want, you can explain why in the topic)
    • Maybe

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Just for fun, I decided to make a SECAM60 version of Trashmania: Remix!

Sadly, because SECAM 2600's don't have a COLOR/BW switch (it's hardcoded as BW), I have disabled the pause feature, and the interactive title screen switch has been relocated to the Right Difficulty Switch. The pause code is still in there, it just can't be used.

I've used the small extra space gained from removing the COLOR/BW detection (used for pausing) for slowing down the flashing colors in the "Jonathon Bont 2012" screen. With only 8 colors, it was was such a strain to see them cycle so fast.

If you're playing this in an emulator, be sure to change the TV Format setting to "SECAM60".

Enjoy!

post-23192-0-82574700-1328653671_thumb.png

default.bas.bin

Edited by Animan

Okay... here's a little more complete mockup. NEEDS COLORING ... not my forte, but I'll do it eventually. But if anyone wants to jump in... !

Also, Animan, what do you think? I started coloring around the angry trash but ran out of steam tonight. Good time to find out if you like the art and layout.

Just realized it should say Trashmania Remix... or something like that. let me know how you'd like the title to appear.

post-31593-0-79957500-1329198739_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainBreakout
  • Like 1

Okay... here's a little more complete mockup. NEEDS COLORING ... not my forte, but I'll do it eventually. But if anyone wants to jump in... !

Also, Animan, what do you think? I started coloring around the angry trash but ran out of steam tonight. Good time to find out if you like the art and layout.

Just realized it should say Trashmania Remix... or something like that. let me know how you'd like the title to appear.

Awesome... just AWESOME! :love:

I'm assuming the smiley face is a placeholder for Hologram Joe?

Glad you like it. It should look really nice when it's colored and polished. I think there can be a lot f glowing in it... from Hologram Joe, the glow stick, the doorways, and then windows in the background. Should be fun to do.

Actually, I can't tell for the life of me what Hologram Joe looks like. Either in my DOS emulator machine or Stella in Windows on this thing. Nether displays interlacing like a real Atari.

Can you post maybe a simple low pixel drawing of what Hologram Joe looks like?

Glad you like it. It should look really nice when it's colored and polished. I think there can be a lot f glowing in it... from Hologram Joe, the glow stick, the doorways, and then windows in the background. Should be fun to do.

Actually, I can't tell for the life of me what Hologram Joe looks like. Either in my DOS emulator machine or Stella in Windows on this thing. Nether displays interlacing like a real Atari.

Can you post maybe a simple low pixel drawing of what Hologram Joe looks like?

Here's what I'm imagining. If at all possible, try and make him a little transparent when you're drawing him up:

post-23192-0-76405100-1329356395_thumb.png

Edited by Animan

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking about ways to make Trashmania Remix's cartridges "unique", I came up with this idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlBi0vn6Ovs

Basically, I would print a mirrored label (probably different artwork than that of the normal label) on the bottom side of the cart, and place the plastic (taken from a CD Case) under it in the way shown in the video.

It's a silly gimmick, but it's a neat one I think. Might grab some extra attention at a game convention or something.

That, and it wouldn't be much more expensive to do: just print another label, and include a piece of plastic like the one shown in the video.

Should this be something I should consider for the actual release?

Note: I tested to see if the 3D effect would still work with the cartridge fully upright like on the 2600 Jr., and it still worked fine.

EDIT: Here's a quick mock-up I did. Will need to make the label smaller, since part of it would be obscured when inserted into the 2600.

post-23192-0-17893600-1330547433_thumb.jpg

Edited by Animan

OK, went a little overboard here :P .

If you look close, you can see the houses further back in the first picture (looks better IRL). This is just a quick and dirty mock-up I did.

What do ya think, sirs?

post-23192-0-07051300-1330563828_thumb.jpg

post-23192-0-32286800-1330563840_thumb.jpg

Edited by Animan

• 1 month later...

I've made 999,999!!!

Just kidding. I found a little bug.

The score drops down with time so I waited in the very begining. The score rolls in the reverse direction! Then I died on purpose and recorded the highest score possible!

--------

That's a very good game. The music is great! If I had an atari, I would buy the cartridge. :)

post-32348-0-86115200-1335241863_thumb.png

Edited by Liduario

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

A bit of an update! To put it bluntly, me and those involved in making cartridges slacked off. Horribly.

I moved on to other game projects (Aqua Rhapsody and now Gorgeous Guardians: Kiken), and kind of forgot about the whole thing.

I'll contact Albert again about making cartridges for the AtariAge Store, but if he says no I'll go ahead and make a handful of them myself for those who really want the game on cartridge. Thanks for being so patient!

Oh... and I threw together this little demo in Unity3D, the software me and my team (Team Kakumei) are using to make Gorgeous Guardians: Kiken for the OUYA. Trashmania: Redux sounds like a pretty cool name. :D

post-23192-0-81815900-1353517042_thumb.png

Edited by Animan

Sent a PM to Albert. Waiting on his reply. :)

While I'll be more than happy with calling this game "final", I might see if I can throw in an extra little something or make a minor tweak or two in the game. I remember packing the game's code super-tightly to fit 8k, and quite frankly I'm not even sure how I can optimize it much more. Liduario found a bug which I could have swore I fixed before then, so I'll double check and try to recreate it.

Edited by Animan

As of writing, I have:

-Fixed the score rolling from 0 to 999999 bug

-Fixed a minor sound issue caused when switching from the Game Over screen to the Title Screen

-Done a few code optimizations here and ther

I'll continue polishing the code and fixing any bugs until work is started on the cartridges. If you have any bugs to report, now is the time to do so!

Edited by Animan

Updated first post with a beginner's guide. The idea would be to print a double-sided reference card and package one with each copy of the game. This way, newcomers can get quickly acquainted with all the game's features by propping it on the inserted cartridge and the Atari 2600's ridges. :)

Brand new update! Unless I can think of anything else to fix or add, this will be the final build. When I can say 100% this is the final build, PAL60 and SECAM60 versions will be on their way.

Changes:

-Fade out effect added to intro sound

-Several code optimizations

-Game Over music changed to a "shock" sound. It takes up much less space, and feels more in-place for a game like this.

-Several "rough edges" cleaned up, including some very minor sound bugs being fixed.

-The colors that show which song is chosen during the pause screen have been changed. They're reflected in the beginner's guide

-When Player 2 is in control of the enemies, Hologram Joe can temporarily disable Player 2's control over the Killer Stalker Trash as it hopelessly moves to Hologram Joe.

Enjoy! :)

Trashmania - Remix.bin

Edited by Animan
  • Like 2