IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2012!

1. The Faery Tale Adventure (Sega Genesis)

Not altogether easy to figure out what to say about Faery Tale Adventure. First of all, it has what may be the best password system I've ever seen in a RPG -- as painless as it's possible for such a thing to be. It basically acts exactly like a game with battery-backed save, except you of course need to write down the password before powering down. Kudos for that.

Graphics and music are serviceable, but no more, so enough about those. The game is put together in a highly unusual way, with a world map that seems dozens of times larger than any other RPG I've played -- but most of that is essentially empty space. Journeying between locations takes five minutes or more. Even the dungeons have huge tracts of land, entire wings, devoted to...absolutely nothing. And the NPCs are pretty few and far between, and say very little.

In some ways I really like that, since it subverts the "a purpose to every room and a treasure chest 'round every corner" trope common to RPGs, and makes playing the game actually feel a bit like walking in the wilderness. It reminds me of Lord of the Rings Vol. 1 for SNES, though that game is more overtly structured.

The manual includes a map of the entire game world, which is obviously crucial, though it can be a little demoralizing to realize that walking for two minutes translates to about a centimeter's worth of map. The manual also has a weird, almost adversarial attitude towards the game, at one point advising you to use the equivalent of save-state cheating to game the treasure chests! The people who ported FTA seem to have been ambivalent about it, or at least worried that it was too hard; even before you get to the walkthrough at the end (which covers the whole damn game), there are broad hints in the item descriptions and so forth. That said, there are notable omissions (like, say, not telling you how to sleep) and at least one outright error, each, on the map and in the walkthrough.

As it turns out, the difficulty curve is reverse-exponential -- you start out weak as a kitten, but after you reach a certain threshold of strength (Bravery), there's essentially no reason whatsoever to ever get killed. I kept expecting to be challenged, but even the final enemy was a pushover. Probably the hardest part of the game -- after surviving the beginning, that is -- is making it through the game's two major dungeons, where the mapping items (Bird Totems) don't operate. Similarly, the puzzles and fetching-quests mostly get easier as the game goes on, as long as you follow the principles of visiting every named location on the map, and carrying enough Bird Totems to know where you are.

The anticlimactic ending (albeit with one nifty mini-puzzle that I solved by accident) has kind of left a sour taste in my mouth after a game I otherwise enjoyed. Still, I think it's a fine game, and certainly a distinctive one. When the CRPG Addict said he was giving up on the DOS version of the game because it felt boring and empty, I think someone invoked the cliché that "it's all about the journey, man".

And actually, Faery Tale Adventure really is an RPG about traveling. And that mostly works for me. A-minus.

And actually, Faery Tale Adventure really is an RPG about traveling. And that mostly works for me. A-minus.

I keep meaning to play this on the Amiga. One of those classics that I never got around to.

FWIW, it took me about 14 hours total on the Genesis, if my numbers are correct. It starts out pretty slow, but accelerates the further you get into the game. I'd like to compare the Amiga version sometime!

2. Abobo's Big Adventure (Flash/Online)

This love letter to the NES is totally fun, pretty amusing, and well-designed to boot. I played through it start to finish in one sitting last night, though I haven't unlocked all the achievements. It's pretty easy, and occasionally a bit obvious -- we didn't need the moveable blocks to flash in Zelda, right? -- but the subtle touches make up for that. I'd give it an A.

3. WarpSpeed (Sega Genesis)

After beating all the individual scenarios on Expert a few days ago, I completed the full Campaign mode today in one sitting, finishing with the best ship, weapons, and shields, three of every medal, and no continues used. I'd played through the game on Novice at the end of last year, and Expert wasn't really much harder -- only one of the scenarios gave me any trouble.

By any objective measure WarpSpeed is lousy, with extremely repetitive gameplay, hilariously inappropriate music, graphics that are no better than mediocre, and a bizarro combat system that features the slowest projectiles I've ever seen (though the control scheme itself works surprisingly well).

I'm sure it compares poorly to its peers like Wing Commander, though I haven't played those games enough to pass judgment. Heck, the gameplay compares poorly to Atari 2600 games like Starmaster and Star Voyager: there's no sense of urgency and the laggy projectiles force you to constantly lead your shots, so there's almost no sense of satisfaction at having nailed an opponent.

And yet...there's something about it I like. Despite the frustrating combat system, I find the game strangely relaxing. Maybe it's the silly, almost bossa-nova-like music; maybe it's the game's low expectations; maybe it's just me. But when I need to zone out, WarpSpeed seems to work surprisingly well. Perhaps I parse it as a minimal RPG with shooting elements, rather than a space shooter with minimal RPG elements.

Either way, I've gotten almost 24 hours' worth of gameplay out of this thing, and that's more than I can say for a lot of others. So, um...C-minus? D-plus? One of those, anyway.

4. Chiki Chiki Boys (Sega Genesis)

Just beat this arcade port (and action platformer) on Hard and got the best ending. It's a very, very good game, but it could've been a truly great one if it weren't for a few problems.

The biggest one is the same thing that mars so many other platformers: cheap shots from respawning enemies. Respawning enemies tend to be a drag to begin with, but when an enemy's still offscreen, or invisible behind a cloud that covers the edge of the screen (which is arguably worse), it shouldn't be able to hit the protagonist. This isn't much of an issue on Normal, but on Hard when you've got much less margin for error, it becomes very unpleasant.

Besides the lack of a two-player simultaneous mode (understandable but still unfortunate), the other problem is the item-purchasing system. It seems like a great idea and almost is, but tends to skew gameplay towards sitting in one place and repetitively killing enemies just to be able to earn the strong weapons and armor that are otherwise out of reach. There's at least one spot where you can park yourself, prop a book on your turbo button, and the coins will bounce straight to you for 10-15 minutes (eventually the game stops rewarding you, so there must be a counter). I think the game might've been better served by having lower prices for the better weapons, plus a modest time limit.

(Funny thing is, when I finally did beat the game after a bunch of attempts, it was with the second-worst armor and sword. Go figure.)

But these are churlish complaints about a game so clearly made with TLC, one that's obviously trying to be "one of the good ones." And it's not quite great, but it is very, very good. A.