IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2012!

9. Toys: Let The Toy Wars Begin! (SNES)

I beat this just last year, but beat it again today for NintendoAge's "Can NA Beat Every SNES Game In A Year" project. As movie tie-in games go, it's better than many, but it's a pity that its more promising aspects aren't more fully fleshed out. Looks like I gave it a C last year, but now I'm in the mood for a C+.

10. Zool 2 (Atari Jaguar)

Another one I played because of the Jaguar HSC. Ended up bolting through the entire game in just under two hours. This is one that sort of has a love/hate relationship going on with it amongst those who have played it. I am in the "like it" crowd for the most part. I like how fast it moves, I like the booming (at points) soundtrack, and I like the patience and attentiveness it requires to get through. It does get pretty brutal near the end of the game though (Mount Ices, I'm looking at you!), and I can definitely see where there will be turn-offs for some. Still, probably one of my favorite Jaguar games.

11. B.O.B. (Genesis)

Just beat this tonight! Fun game, despite the touchy controls and repetitive aspects to the gameplay. You get a password after every three levels, so it's a nice choice to pick it up for 30-60 minutes at a time without having to make a huge commitment. Some of the level designs are quite tricky, but they usually had a kind of intuitive logic to them.

1. I beat Score Rush (Xbox live arcade indie game) on Normal. First time I did it since I owned the game, for a good year now. Very difficult, very proud of that accomplishment. :)

Awwww, c'mon! I did that the first day I had it! :P

Congrats! :D

Thanks :D Other games are more difficult that I have 1CC'ed (or close to 1CC) as far as Cave Shmups are concerned... its the damn screen shake that gets to me. :-p

12. Dark Castle (Genesis)

Right around midnight last night, I beat this on Easy for the first time. Medium followed around noon today, and then Hard at 11:30, so I guess I did the whole thing inside of 24 hours. Hard is brutally unforgiving because of the very short respawn times, but there's really only one spot of extreme difficulty -- the rest requires accuracy, but isn't otherwise that bad.

For those who may not know, this is almost universally reviled as one of the very worst Genesis games, though it's ported from a compact Mac game that got much better reviews. Personally, I'd give this version a D-. As a product, it's essentially a complete failure: it never should have been ported to the Genesis to begin with, and they messed up many things in the process. The game is inexcusably short, terribly outdated, and -- especially at first -- incredibly frustrating.

But the thing is, the original source material was pretty good for its time, and that shines through somewhat. Once you get the hang of the game's horrible jumping algorithm, and learn a few other tricks, it opens up a little bit and the frustration factor drops dramatically. Honestly I had a lot of fun beating it, though obviously the game's reputation contributed to that -- when you know you're taking down one of the most reviled and (allegedly) ball-bustingly difficult games in the Genesis library, it's kind of a rush.

I think

was made by a member of Sega-16 IIRC, and it was incredibly helpful in learning where to jump from in the final stage. But the player misses a few things that make the game far more manageable: for one, you can shoot the Dark Knight's mugs and stop him from attacking (which is probably a bug). More importantly, the Shield item is an absolute must to deal with the Gargoyle. I learned all this from the Dark Castle wiki, which was a big help.

Anyway, D-minus. But not quite an F, because no game I actually enjoyed gets an F from me.

• Like 1

Blue Stinger (Dreamcast). It was very easy to beat on the easy and normal settings, even the last boss was really easy, you've just got to make sure you have enough ammo. Except though, the game does seem to be very unintuative in places, and it ment I had to grab the game guide several times through out the game, since I had no idea what I was supposed to do next.

And I think that's the only game I've beaten this year so far.

Here's what I've got so far:

1. Jan. 1 - Spyro the Dragon - PS1

2. Jan. 4 - Lagoon - SNES

3. Jan. 7 - Soul Blazer - SNES

4. Jan. 14 - Dr. Mario 64 - N64

5. Jan. 14 - Dr. Mario Online Rx - Wiiware

6. Feb. 3 - Knuckles the Echidna in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Genesis

7. Feb. 3 - Super Bubble Pop - PS1

8. Feb. 15 - Suikoden III - PS2

9. Feb. 25 - Suikoden IV - PS2

Just beat Final Fantasy II on the PSP the other night. This is the second time I've gone through it (originally played it on the PS1 as part of the FF Origins collection). I still don't like the leveling system, it was an interesting idea, but it sucked in practice. I can see why they abandoned it and never tried it again. The rest of the game hasn't aged particularly well either, it's basically FF 1 with more plot but that's not saying too much. It's interesting how you can see the series evolving with each new game. I wonder how it would have fared had it been released in the US as planned?

I'm currently playing Metroid Other M. I'm finding it to be a lot harder than the other Metroid games, but that's not surprising given it was done by the Ninja Gaiden guys (are their playtesters on crack or something?). It's not so much that the game itself is hard, but rather the controls make it hard. Half the time when I try to quickly switch into first person mode the game doesn't detect it and Samus is left standing there like a dink open to attack. I also don't care for the 'Matrix' like dodge moves as they seem rather out of place.

But my biggest complaint is the way the restrict your weapons. Rather than having to find them again (which I'll admit was getting old), you're just under orders not to use them until you're told you can. Getting your ass kicked? People dying left and right? The world in mortal peril? Sorry, you can't use all that cool advanced weaponry because 'We need to make sure that it would be safe to use them first'. Seriously? This is the best they could come up with? "Oh hey you've been burning alive in lava pits for the last half hour, I guess I'll ok you to use your Varia Suit now". I seriously want to shoot that guy in the head and just power up my suit as I see fit.

How did you like Suikoden IV? I played Suikoden 1-3 in order but stop at 4. Got about an hour into it and lost interest.

IV is not as good as the first three. The story is quite boring at the beginning. I didn't really start liking it till you get away from Razril and are out in another part of the world. It was short lived though. The fun part - character recruiting with a list of how to get characters from Suikosource.com to ensure you get all of them, goes by a bit fast in this game. It was pretty interesting finally getting to hear Ted, Viki and Jeane talk though. All of them are masters of runes or magic so they were even alive 100 years before Suikoden 1. The part I didn't like as much was the optional part of leveling up all the characters to level 50+. Since you only get 4 people at a a time it feels like it takes longer to do than previous Suikodens, even though it probably doesn't considering there are probably more support only characters in this game. Like what's up with 5 mermaids who sell similar objects????

I hear V is supposed to be much better. I'm going to play Tactics first because it takes place after IV.

How did you like Suikoden IV? I played Suikoden 1-3 in order but stop at 4. Got about an hour into it and lost interest.

You know what though, now that I am playing Suikoden Tactics I am glad I played Suikoden IV. The game takes place in the same world map and towns and serves as a direct sequel to it. Even some of the towns' music tracks from Suikoden IV are reused in this game. At first, you learn a little bit about what happened before Suikoden IV and you will remember some of the scenes talked about by a certain main character. Also wow, 60 characters is a lot for a tactical game!

Sonic 1 Game Gear a few days ago.

There were some cool concepts in this game, but the slowdown and "floaty-ness" of sonic (and sonic fans complain about sonic rush) led to some cheap deaths. That and the final boss was way too easy.

11. Ultimate DOOM (Saturn)

OK, so the game isn't actually called Ultimate DOOM on the Saturn, but it is divided into two games--either Ultimate DOOM, or DOOM II. On a whim, I ran through the Ultimate DOOM side in one sitting last night. "Why did you do that, THIS VERSION IS TERRIBLE!", you ask? Well, to sort of kill two birds with one stone, so to say. One, to record another longplay video, and two, because there has been talk about this version at another forum and I wanted to give it another go to get various details and technicalities of it refreshed in my memory. You know, like the constantly bad framerate that becomes nearly unmanageable (about 2fps) at the later stages in the game. Yeah.

The whole run took be about three hours and 45 minutes. Debating whether I am going to do the DOOM II side of things. That might be asking for punishment.

I just finished Mega Man 2 for the NES.

Thank heavens there's no powered up version for this one available, so instead of 4 months it took only 2 days to beat ;)

Capcom games beaten in 2012: Bionic Commando, Legendary Wings, Bionic Commando Rearmed & Mega Man 2