IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2012 (Season 5)

Atari Jaguar:

Tempest 2000 - 110 min.

Nintendo GameBoy Color:

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages - 45 min.

Sega Genesis:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist - 190 min.

Sega Saturn:

Sega Ages:

After Burner II - 35 min.

OutRun - 75 min.

Space Harrier - 15 min.

SNK NeoGeo MVS:

Cyber Lip - 35 min.

King of the Monsters - 10 min.

Metal Slug - 65 min.

Strikers 1945 Plus - 55 min.

World Heroes 2 - 10 min.

Here are my times for this past week (May 21st through 27th)...

Atari 2600:

Commando - 27 min.

TI-99:

Codename Sector - 26 min.

E.T. in his adventures on land - 5 min.

Kaboom - 19 min.

Not much playing time there this week, but a bit...

I replayed "Commando" by Activision after planning to do something for the Videobrain, which would be a series of screenshots of games that would have been doable on it. I think Commando would have been doable on it with some simplifications like monochrome sprites. I planned to lift some sprites from the Atari 2600 version for that screenshot (and for screenshots of other games like Asteroids, Mario Bros., Shamus and Joust as well), but for Commando, it seems like the Intellivision version is actually better suited because it's more true to the arcade. But since the Videobrain only is able to display 16 rectangular object areas on screen which must not overlap, you could think of Commando as looking very much like the Intellivision version, but missing all background which you can walk over, like grass, which makes it actually look more like the ZX-Spectrum version. Oh, and I just see that Commando on the Intellivision allows for all 16 possible directions, which would certainly work with the Videobrain as well since it has analog joysticks.

The other games are not Videobrain related at all. I tried "E.T. in his adventures on land" on the TI-99 after reading a thread about it on the Atariage forum, but it's an incomplete prototype, and it's hard to find areas that are actually playable.

The other two games, "Codename Sector" and "Kaboom", are entries to the Rainy Day Game Contest over in the TI-99 programming forum which now can be voted for as the winner among two more games which I've yet to try. Codename Sector is a simulation of a handheld game by Parker Brothers which originally operates on 9V batteries, and Kaboom is a port from the Atari 2600.

My times for the week:

Intellivision:

Frog Bog - 7 min.

Intellivision ECS:

Mind Strike - 37 min.

TI-99/4A:

Blasto - 5 min.

Facemaker - 5 min.

Hunt the Wumpus - 6 min.

Jawbreaker II - 2 min.

Munchman - 3 min.

Parsec - 6 min.

TI Invaders - 4 min.

Zero Zap - 2 min.

SMS:

Double Dragon - 85 min.

Genesis:

Osomatsu-Kun: Hachamecha Gekijou - 20 min.

Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair - 129 min.

In the first part of the week, I beat the aforementioned SMS and Genesis games. I've written some thoughts about them starting here. (None are classics, alas.)

Then over the weekend I got a TI-99/4A and an Intellivision ECS at the flea market, and spent some time with them once I got home. I already had a few ECS games I'd never had the chance to play, though Mind Strike was the only one I fired up in earnest. It's intense! My girlfriend defeated me in the regular mode, whereas I won convincingly in the "Speed Strike" mode.

The TI came with a dozen carts and the speech synthesizer. Parsec is as good as I remember -- actually it's better, since my old emulator didn't get the framerate or the voice synthesis quite right. And Hunt the Wumpus is still fun as ever.

• Like 1

Sega Saturn:

Sega Ages:

After Burner II - 35 min.

OutRun - 75 min.

Space Harrier - 15 min.

The games on this collection are ports rather than emulated versions, right? Just double-checking. Since they're allegedly arcade-perfect versions, it's a tough case to classify...

• Like 1

The games on this collection are ports rather than emulated versions, right? Just double-checking. Since they're allegedly arcade-perfect versions, it's a tough case to classify...

I'm sure they're ports. They have option menus and OutRun lets you choose between the Japan or overseas game mode. There is also a 60 fps mode. The games were released on single disk in Japan.

Here's the summary for Week 21, running from May 21 - 27. We logged 4145 minutes of eligible play, playing 45 games on a total of 14 systems.

Top 10:

1. Lock 'N' Chase (Intellivision) - 1200

2. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 1142

3. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist (Genesis) - 190

4. Backgammon (Atari 2600) - 185

5. Ghouls 'n Ghosts (Arcade) - 180

6. Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair (Genesis) - 129

7. Sega Ages (Sega Saturn) - 125

8. Tempest 2000 (Atari Jaguar) - 110

9. Double Dragon (Sega Master System) - 85

10. Bridge (Atari 2600) - 70

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Lock 'N' Chase (Intellivision) - 1200

2. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 1142

3. Backgammon (Atari 2600) - 185

4. Bridge (Atari 2600) - 70

5. G.I. Joe (Atari 2600) - 60

5. Super Cobra (Atari 5200) - 60

7. Super Cobra (Atari 8-bit) - 40

8. Mind Strike (Intellivision ECS) - 37

9. Commando (Atari 2600) - 27

10. Codename Sector (TI-99) - 26

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (1559)

2. Intellivision (1207)

3. Genesis (339)

4. Arcade (180)

5. Neo Geo AES/MVS (175)

6. Sega Saturn (125)

7. Atari Jaguar (110)

8. Sega Master System (105)

9. Atari 8-bit (90)

10. TI-99 (83)

It's a real Clash of the Titans situation this week, as two heavy hitters exceed all others, dividing the spoils between them. The Intellivision port of Lock 'N' Chase ends up with the top spot on both individual charts, while Kaboom leads the Atari 2600 to domination of the system charts.

• Like 1

Atari 2600

Adventures of Tron-10 minutes

Jr. Pac-man-20 minutes, really difficult but amazingly good

Seaweed Assault-10 minutes

Space Treat Deluxe-10 minutes, hard to stop playing this one as I always want to try to reach a higher level.

Atari 800

Donkey Kong-15 minutes

This week (May 28th through June 3rd), I've actually only played one game...

Arcade:

Action Fighter - 101 min.

Action Fighter is somwhat a successor of Spy Hunter by Sega which has also ported to various consoles (mainly Sega consoles) and home computers. The original arcade version consists of a pretty long main map with parallel ways and opportunities to change between them. To beat the game, you must have been to all checkpoints collecting all extras and also in all available vehicles. There are three sublevels, two as a helicopter and one as a jet ski racer, similar to Spy Hunter's speedboat. Those sublevels take you to points on the map which you can't reach otherwise, and one of those points (the 2nd helicopter level) leads to the end of the game. You have to go through the map multiple times to achieve all this. The console and home computer versions have been simplified in that there's only one way without the posiibility to detour, and you become a helicopter by collecting extra weapons, then you complete each level as a helicopter before you become a motorcycle again for the next level.

I've managed to beat the arcade game with the use of many continues. I wouldn't put this in the pre-NES category since it came out in 1986 and is on 16-bit level with a 68000 processor and FM sound, although it has been ported to later 8-bit consoles like the Sega Master System (I think it was even one of its launch titles).

Genesis:

Battle Squadron - 18 min.

Columns III - 20 min.

Crack Down - 44 min.

Pete Sampras Tennis - 20 min.

Shaq-Fu - 208 min.

Streets of Rage - 71 min.

Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair - 56 min.

Game Boy:

Qbillion - 72 min.

SNES:

B.O.B. - 47 min.

Lots of Genesis! I resumed my campaign against Shaq-Fu on the highest difficulty setting, and beat it using a Game Genie code that gave me unlimited continues (normally the game only offers three), but that doesn't really count. I can't seem to find a viable pattern against the second group of enemies, especially the cat-woman; Shaq is just so slow and laggy...it's very frustrating, even demoralizing. I don't know how much more I want to put myself through this.

Other failed campaigns included getting flattened by Battle Squadron (tough game!), failing to complete Monster Lair on 3 Lives/6 Credits, and running out of continues partway through the last level of Streets of Rage on Hard difficulty, with my girlfriend. We had better luck with Crack Down, beating the game on the easiest possible settings, and also had success in a one-set doubles match against the computer in Pete Sampras Tennis, winning 7-6 in a tiebreaker. Columns III was also reasonably fun.

Meanwhile I started on B.O.B., which I beat on Genesis at the start of this year. The SNES version has a better presentation, framerate, and control scheme, but I'm not sure if the level design is the same -- I suspect not. Either way, so far I think it's a bit tougher than the Genesis version, and there are definitely some enemies I didn't see in that version.

Finally, I found my Game Boy Advance's AC adapter, so I resumed progress on Qbillion, solving five puzzles or so and getting close to the end of the 91-100 block. After that, twenty more and it's done! (Well, except for the "GAME B" mode, which I haven't tried yet...)

• Like 1

Atari Jaguar:

Fight for Life - 30 min.

Nintendo GameBoy Color:

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages - 35 min.

Sega Dreamcast:

Wacky Racers - 180 min.

SNK NeoGeo CD:

The King of Fighters '99: Millennium Battle - 35 min.

SNK NeoGeo MVS:

Breakers Revenge - 10 min.

Cyber Lip - 35 min.

The King of Fighters '97 - 30 min.

The King of Fighters '98 - 35 min.

The King of Fighters '99 - 15 min.

The Last Blade - 10 min.

Metal Slug - 20 min.

Neo Drift Out - 15 min.

Samurai Shodown IV: Amakusa's Revenge - 15 min.

Here's the summary for Week 21, running from May 28 - June 3. We logged 2253 minutes of eligible play, playing 39 games on a total of 15 systems.

Top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 611

2. Shaq-Fu (Genesis) - 208

3. Wacky Races (Dreamcast) - 180

4. Pole Position (Atari 5200) - 150

5. Action Fighter (Arcade) - 101

6. Qbillion (Game Boy) - 72

7. Streets of Rage (Genesis) - 71

8. G.I. Joe (Atari 2600) - 65

9. Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair (Genesis) - 56

10. B.O.B. (SNES) - 47

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 611

2. Pole Position (Atari 5200) - 150

3. G.I. Joe (Atari 2600) - 65

4. Backgammon (Atari 2600) - 45

5. Secret Agent (Atari 2600) - 35

6. Deflektor (Atari 8-bit) - 30

6. Diamondz (Atari 8-bit) - 30

6. Pitfall II (Atari 8-bit) - 30

9. Jr. Pac-Man (Atari 2600) - 20

10. Donkey Kong (Atari 8-bit) - 15

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (806)

2. Genesis (437)

3. Neo Geo AES/MVS (185)

4. Dreamcast (180)

5. Atari 5200 (150)

6. Atari 8-bit (105)

7. Arcade (101)

8. Game Boy (72)

9. SNES (47)

10. Game Boy Color (35)

10. Neo Geo CD (35)

10. Sega Master System (35)

Uh, Kaboom won everything, but don't tell anyone what's in the #2 spot...

• Like 1