IGNORED

HSC Round 4.19: 4 Pack

The players control WWII planes in this 2-D vertically scrolling shooter. Missions are flown alternately in the clouds against enemy planes and over water where there player must also disable enemy ships. There are many different weapons available via power-ups.

Game Information

Game Name: 1943: The Battle of Midway [uS]

Released By: Capcom, 1987

MAME ROMset: 1943

Dip Switches: Difficulty: 8 [Normal]

Chosen By: keilbaca, M.A.M.E Offender

ROM Location:

AtariAge Arcade/MAME HSC Record: 1,684,430 M.A.M.E. Offender

Competition ends Sunday, January 29 @ 12PM EST

Leaderboard

1. 2,116,050 M.A.M.E Offender

2. 464,320 Cynicaster

3. 319,340 kane

4. 120,270 mr. toast

5. 98,770 bigbee99

6. 42,500 acelkin

7. 34,900 patbb

Canyon Bomber

Blimps and biplanes fly by and drop bombs into a canyon.

Game Information

Game Name: Canyon Bomber

Released By: Atari, 1977

MAME ROMset: Canyon

Dip Switches: Misses Per Play: 3

Chosen By: roadrunner

ROM Location:

AtariAge Arcade/MAME HSC Record: 396 rmaerz

Leaderboard

1. 798 M.A.M.E Offender

2. 511 kane

3. 473 bigbee99

4. 399 mr. toast

5. 345 Cynicaster

6. 334 patbb

7. 333 acelkin

Fire Truck

One or two players drive a fire engine through a maze of winding city streets, avoiding parked cars. In one-player mode, a person may drive the front or back of the fire truck. In a two-person game, the front player sits and drives the rig while the rear player stands and steers the trailer.

Game Information

Game Name: Fire Truck

Released By: Atari, 1978

MAME ROMset: Firetrk

Dip Switches: Play Time: 90 seconds; Extended Play: Medium

Chosen By: rmaerz

ROM Location:

AtariAge Arcade/MAME HSC Record: n/a

Leaderboard

1. 130 M.A.M.E Offender

2. 100 kane

2. 100 mr. toast

4. 90 bigbee99

4. 90 Cynicaster

6. 80 acelkin

7. 70 patbb

Major Havoc

You Major Havoc must search out enemy space stations: defeat their space defenses, dock with the mothership and then destroy each robot infested mothership by setting off the reactor.

Game Information

Game Name: Major Havoc [Rev 3]

Released By: Atari, 1983

MAME ROMset: mhavoc

Dip Switches: Adaptive difficulty: On; Bonus Life: 100,000; Difficulty: Medium; Lives: 3 [2 In Free Play]

Chosen By: Cynicaster

ROM Location:

AtariAge Arcade/MAME HSC Record: 377,125 Zoyx

Leaderboard

1. 720,700 mr. toast

2. 262,503 patbb

3. 134,907 kane

4. 124,340 Cynicaster

5. 109,834 bigbee99

6. 69,120 acelkin

7. 65,120 M.A.M.E Offender

Season Standings

Calculations through round 18

1. M.A.M.E Offender 319

2. bigbee99 313

3. Cynicaster 286

4. patbb 244

5. mr. toast 143

6. roadrunner 90

7. richard stewart 78

8. LarcenTyler 54

8. acelkin 54

10. Barra 51

10. kane 51

12. kojr 39

12. keilbaca 39

14. JohnnyBlaze 28

15. mightymage 23

16. rmaerz 16

17. retrorussell 15

18. NE146 8

19. onmode-ky 5

20. Fres 1

Edited by rmaerz

I knew I was forgetting something - OK I will update post #1 tomorrow

DO YOU CARE?: Fire Truck was a two player game where one player sat down in the front and player two stood in the rear of the cabinet and steered the back end of the truck. Fire Truck was popular in my arcade!

I knew I was forgetting something - OK I will update post #1 tomorrow

DO YOU CARE?: Fire Truck was a two player game where one player sat down in the front and player two stood in the rear of the cabinet and steered the back end of the truck. Fire Truck was popular in my arcade!

Did you know it's also possible to drive off road?

Standings are up to date.

With that and this being a two week long HSC round, is probably a good time to resign as moderator of this HSC. And it's the usual reasons: time.

All I ask is for whomever takes over as moderator to please keep the HSC Electronic Scoreboard up to date - I spent a lot of time going back through prior season's score data to compile that stuff.

• Like 1

I agree Bigbee, it's a pretty fun game. I looked up the cabinet/controller, seems to be 'half trackball' of sorts for the controller. Atari made a lot of great vector games, this one ranks right up there as one of their best. I love Battle Zone, Tempest, both Asteroids games, etc etc. Still haven't tried Black Widow, need to give that one a try.

Say it ain't so Rob! Either way, you've done a great job!

B

Understatement of the century!

It's kind of eerie in a way; just the other day when I was setting up a playlist for this 4-pack, I thought to myself "How the fuck does Rob find the time to do all the stuff he does between AA and his own site and magazine?" I guess something had to give.

In the 8-9 months I've participated here, I can truly say that this HSC has been run with a level of attention, organization, and quality befitting a paid service. Not only that, but it's been instrumental in me getting the most enjoyment possible out of the MAME cabinet I spent so much time building.

Not gonna lie Rob--this sucks big time. That's not a dig against you because you donated more than your fair share of time to the cause, it's simply a statement of truth, coming straight from one of the beneficiaries of your efforts. On behalf of the community here, a million thanks!

• Like 2

My goodness-seeing that picture reminds me I had seen/played Fire Truck back in the day. We used to have PTA roller skating nights in middle school, this was one of the games they had. They also had Atari Football (X's & O's Trackball) which I absolutely loved when I was a kid. A few pinball games too I can't recall at this time.

Standings are up to date.

With that and this being a two week long HSC round, is probably a good time to resign as moderator of this HSC. And it's the usual reasons: time.

All I ask is for whomever takes over as moderator to please keep the HSC Electronic Scoreboard up to date - I spent a lot of time going back through prior season's score data to compile that stuff.

Thanks for all the effort you putted in this.

I had a lot of fun.

• Like 1

I nominate that "Pullitzer Prize" guy to take over as moderator. (Cynicaster)

We need a "take charge" kinda of guy right about now. This is the hippest group o' gamers around, let's keep this good thing going.

Like Cynicaster said, if it weren't for this HSC, my MAME version 122 would contain tons of games that are undiscovered to me. By playing a season like we do here, it more or less forces you to at least try new games for the first time. I've discovered games thru HSC that I would never have tried by simply browsing a huge list of titles and only seeing a screenshot of the game.

:mad: So, in other words, I wanna keep playing here. :mad:

:? Anyone willing to volunteer at this point? :?

If it came down to it and the choice was to either watch this club die or take it over myself, I would have stepped in, but if B is volunteering to take the reins, that’s fantastic.

The only reason I didn’t jump right on it is because my levels of free time tend to be unpredictable and inconsistent.

Thanks for the kind remarks everyone. Nobody said the HSC was going to die - my intent was to make this a smooth transition to the next moderator and to continue on as mod in the event one was not yet found.

Is bigbee99 going to be the next mod? If so, he needs to contact someone (my PMs to Albert are apparently going in the bit bucket, maybe you guys have better luck) that will give him moderator rights to this forum. Additionally, I have a spreadsheet that I can pass along for use for tournament calculations.

I had to share this.

I've had this monitor for 2-3 years. It's a 22" HP. The other weekend I moved. I needed it at a party to run through the PA. I forgot that the thing will rotate on it's stand. So last night I got to messing with it and the MAME settings. HOLY COW! Some games look really sweet! It's been like rediscovering MAME all over again for me. And with the pic, I can pretend I am running MAME on my c64c :-D

B

post-29567-0-09419500-1327374806_thumb.jpg

canyon 334

1943 34,900

Major 262,503

I don't know how I got that score at Major Havok.

After completing the first level I destroyed the spaceships and before starting the second screen I was already above 250K.

The 2nd shot them up level was different that the one I usualy have.

At first I tought that I probable selected a different starting level that gives extra point after completing the first one but I did not see anything of that sort.

Maybe it's because I had a good game of breakout? you know the little screen on the right side!!

Anybody knows something about that?

post-25394-0-49233900-1327408884_thumb.png

post-25394-0-13853400-1327408885_thumb.png

post-25394-0-29273800-1327409180_thumb.png

canyon 334

1943 34,900

Major 262,503

I don't know how I got that score at Major Havok.

After completing the first level I destroyed the spaceships and before starting the second screen I was already above 250K.

The 2nd shot them up level was different that the one I usualy have.

At first I tought that I probable selected a different starting level that gives extra point after completing the first one but I did not see anything of that sort.

Maybe it's because I had a good game of breakout? you know the little screen on the right side!!

Anybody knows something about that?

Yes, if you're able to clear a few boards, Major Havoc allows you to start a new game at later levels with a "freebie" score. You might not have noticed it because if you start at a higher level and die, then the next credit the option goes away.

In retrospect, maybe not the most suitable game for the HSC unless we can all agree to either start at level 1, or start wherever we like.

Yes, you can play a mini game of breakout on the lower right of your "heads up display" that shows just before a level starts. As far as I know, it doesn't do much for you unless you clear all the bricks; and I'm not sure what happens in that case because I've never done it.