IGNORED

Wow! Atari Karts is an 8 on the rarity guide?

82-T/A

speaking of rarity.. this brings up the question.. why the heck is Double Dragon V go for so much these days? I remember seeing them all over the place discounted in the late 90's - never thought it was that uncommon.. not only that but the game is horrendous!

Nearly everything was easy to get ahold of at cheap prices when the liquidations occurred back in the '90s (even Atari Karts), but as the years go on, Jag stuff seems to be drying up. Even some of the bad games, strangely enough. :?

• 1 month later...

Graphics do look nice i have to agree. very smooth nice vibrant colors. great overall job graphics wise. Controls i wish could be better but they are what they are. Not a bad game at all.

It could compete and even win with mighty Super Mario Kart but:

1. Collisions with environment stop your cart instead of slowing down (that's so annoying)

2. It lacked power-ups which could give game a boost- like invincibilty bonus, some missles, speed-ups etc.

Anyway, it still an awesome racer and Jaguar needed more exclusive games with Atar Karts' quality.

Edited by volkanik_destruktor

• 11 years later...
On 2/2/2012 at 4:31 PM, 82-T/A said:

I don't think I paid more than $10 bucks for Atari Karts in the box. Now it seems most of these games are becoming nearly impossible to find. I see only 1 used one on eBay, and the guy is asking $75 bucks (which doesn't even include shipping)...

Damn... that's all I can say.

Zombie thread! Boo!

I googlerized “why is Atari Karts so rare” and this thread was one of top results. Thread didn’t really answer the question, but this dude should have snapped up every copy he could get for 75. “It doesn’t include shipping? Cool!”

10 hours ago, Editorb said:

Zombie thread! Boo!

I googlerized “why is Atari Karts so rare” and this thread was one of top results. Thread didn’t really answer the question, but this dude should have snapped up every copy he could get for 75. “It doesn’t include shipping? Cool!”

Haha... actually, Atari Carts was $5.99, and CD games were $7.99. This was at KayBee Toys back in 1996 ... I think. Everything was on super discount because I guess Atari had gone out of business at that point. I even bought a spare Atari Jaguar at the time, new in the box ($25). To be fair, I was 18 and didn't have a lot of money. I was living in an apartment then that I was renting on my own, and I pretty much blew my entire budget except for what I needed for rent.

I guess to answer the question, Atari Karts is rare because that type of game was super popular around that time period. You had Mario Karts, which likely precipitated the development of this game... and it was just one of those few games that everyone wanted.

For the record, I'd acquired every Atari Jaguar game I could from then until about 2021. I had EVERY GAME except Battlesphere Gold and Gorf. I ended up selling 3/4ths of all my Jaguar games, and made about $20 grand. I still have some ~30 games, which includes Atari Karts and other games I would still play. I just realized that I was winning a game that I no longer wanted to play... and decided to cash out. I actually had a reproduction of Battlesphere Gold, and I was VERY clear about it being a reproduction (even said it in the eBay title) and it still sold for over $200 bucks if I remember correctly. I can't remember, but I seem to recall that I sold Another World for almost $600 bucks. I sold ALL my CD stuff... just never had that much interest in it. My CD drive was like new in the box (I rarely used it), and sold for almost a grand on its own.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

I guess to answer the question, Atari Karts is rare because that type of game was super popular around that time period. You had Mario Karts, which likely precipitated the development of this game... and it was just one of those few games that everyone wanted.

Buh ... if it was super popular and everyone wanted it, wouldn't that have resulted in more copies and lower prices? It's hard to sell a Combat cart, for example. Unless this means everyone who wanted it, loved it, and wanted to keep it.

I think I read speculation somewheres on AA that there didn't seem to be a reason it was so rare compared to others, and maybe there's a warehouse with pallets of them. I wonder what minimum or standard production run was for Jaguar carts.

Unfortunately, I decided I already had the good Jag games back in the daze, and when Atari Karts was released, I was like, "I'm 25, a Quarter-Century Man! I don't need no stinkin' cart racers unless I can punch or shoot my enemies!" Sadly, that type of thinking prevented me from enjoying Stupor Burnout for many years because it wasn't Road Rash.

I wonder if anyone will ever bite on the repeated eBay listings for like 15 grand ...

Edited by Editorb

1 hour ago, Editorb said:

Buh ... if it was super popular and everyone wanted it, wouldn't that have resulted in more copies and lower prices? It's hard to sell a Combat cart, for example. Unless this means everyone who wanted it, loved it, and wanted to keep it.

I think I read speculation somewheres on AA that there didn't seem to be a reason it was so rare compared to others, and maybe there's a warehouse with pallets of them. I wonder what minimum or standard production run was for Jaguar carts.

Unfortunately, I decided I already had the good Jag games back in the daze, and when Atari Karts was released, I was like, "I'm 25, a Quarter-Century Man! I don't need no stinkin' cart racers unless I can punch or shoot my enemies!" Sadly, that type of thinking prevented me from enjoying Stupor Burnout for many years because it wasn't Road Rash.

I wonder if anyone will ever bite on the repeated eBay listings for like 15 grand ...

I'm not sure you're viewing this through the lens it should be. The Jaguar didn't sell all that well, part of the reason why they went out of business. Atari Karts was definitely a good game, but it wasn't particularly sought-after at the time because unlike Doom or Primal Rage, or Wolfenstein 3D, it wasn't very well known. It was a game that fit a specific title gap that all the other systems had, particularly the Super Nintendo.

It's "super rare" and "super popular" now because there are a limited number of them in existence, and it's a game that definitely has replay-ability. There's a lot of games for the Jaguar that quite honestly, just aren't all that great... but command big prices simply because there's so few of them and people want them to complete their collection.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2023 at 12:47 PM, Editorb said:

By the way, if you just want to play it... and you have an Atari VCS... I just bought the "Atari 50" download from the VCS store for $39, and it comes with Atari Karts (along with a dozen other games). It plays quite well on the VCS. I'd forgotten about the game, honestly... since I don't usually have a lot of time to play games, but it's really emblematic of the time. It came out during the time when F-Zero and Mario Karts were a thing, so the game basically operates in the same manner. It has slightly better graphics and more colors than Mario Karts and F-Zero, but the music is also better. It's what we used to call (at the time) "MOD" music... quite literally because the music was saved in a .MOD format. Best way to describe it is the music sounds very Amiga / Demo Scene... (because it kind of is).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

By the way, if you just want to play it... and you have an Atari VCS... I just bought the "Atari 50" download from the VCS store for $39, and it comes with Atari Karts (along with a dozen other games). It plays quite well on the VCS. I'd forgotten about the game, honestly... since I don't usually have a lot of time to play games, but it's really emblematic of the time. It came out during the time when F-Zero and Mario Karts were a thing, so the game basically operates in the same manner. It has slightly better graphics and more colors than Mario Karts and F-Zero, but the music is also better. It's what we used to call (at the time) "MOD" music... quite literally because the music was saved in a .MOD format. Best way to describe it is the music sounds very Amiga / Demo Scene... (because it kind of is).

I have Atari 50 for PS4, and a Jag Gamedrive. I've read that it's hard to play without the added steering from shoulder buttons (unless you want to use keypad) but I've had much better luck tapping brake and steering while holding down accelerator. The shoulder buttons caused too much oversteer for me.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2023 at 2:06 PM, 82-T/A said:

I'm not sure you're viewing this through the lens it should be. The Jaguar didn't sell all that well, part of the reason why they went out of business. Atari Karts was definitely a good game, but it wasn't particularly sought-after at the time because unlike Doom or Primal Rage, or Wolfenstein 3D, it wasn't very well known. It was a game that fit a specific title gap that all the other systems had, particularly the Super Nintendo.

It's "super rare" and "super popular" now because there are a limited number of them in existence, and it's a game that definitely has replay-ability. There's a lot of games for the Jaguar that quite honestly, just aren't all that great... but command big prices simply because there's so few of them and people want them to complete their collection.

It was released late in Jags life so production was low vs aliens vs predator.  But, it was only out fir a short time before atari folded, so few bought it for full retail most bought it during the fire sale, it reviewed well and was ataris answer to Mario kart, so it and Rayman always seems to be close to same ebay value.

Double dragon 5 is more of a mystery as it was an earlier title with high production run and low demand

On 8/11/2023 at 4:03 AM, Pete5125 said:

It was released late in Jags life so production was low vs aliens vs predator.  But, it was only out fir a short time before atari folded, so few bought it for full retail most bought it during the fire sale, it reviewed well and was ataris answer to Mario kart, so it and Rayman always seems to be close to same ebay value.

Double dragon 5 is more of a mystery as it was an earlier title with high production run and low demand

Yeah, can we address that for a minute? Double Dragon 5 sucked, really bad. I haven't played it in years... I think I sold my copy when I sold about 3/4ths of my games. But there was no fighting "adventure" as there was in like DD1 and DD2 (don't even remember hearing about DD3 or 4)?

It seemed like it was just a two-player fighting game... but then, it didn't even have the dynamic of say Mortal Kombat, Kasumi Ninja, or Ultra Vortek... so what the heck was it?

Double Dragon V was indeed a 1 on 1 fighting game. Not great on the SNES or Genesis, but it was at least playable there.

The Jaguar version was a poor-ish conversion by a different studio of an already insignificant game. It runs too fast and the combat feels worse than the 16-bit iterations.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ddv, was a port of ddv from snes it was a street Fighter like fighter, that had gotten the liscence from the USA network Saturday morning cartoon, It's to be desired, it looks better than snes counterpart but is missing a few of the characters, it the time it was a below average fighter, but with the aging of system it gets away with being 16 bit looking

The biggest problem right now with selling is the tax implications (in the US) once you sell >$600 worth. That could be like 2-3 Jag games, I'm not wanting to pay income tax on selling games. Does anyone know if Venmo is subject to this as well? I've been strongly considering trading in/selling my 32X heavy hitters to a local store, even if I get say 50% of EBay value I'm not paying taxes, EBay fees nor dealing with some nutjob buyer who will try to get a partial refund for a speck of dust on a label he didn't see in a picture. For Jag stuff, EBay is probably the best route I'd imagine.

10 hours ago, madman said:

The biggest problem right now with selling is the tax implications (in the US) once you sell >$600 worth. That could be like 2-3 Jag games, I'm not wanting to pay income tax on selling games. Does anyone know if Venmo is subject to this as well? I've been strongly considering trading in/selling my 32X heavy hitters to a local store, even if I get say 50% of EBay value I'm not paying taxes, EBay fees nor dealing with some nutjob buyer who will try to get a partial refund for a speck of dust on a label he didn't see in a picture. For Jag stuff, EBay is probably the best route I'd imagine.

Not taxxx exxxpert, but if ou wait until retirement (if any, in my case) you would be taxed at. Lower rate and maybe not atoll.