IGNORED

Star Castle (VIDEO) play-testers needed

iesposta

• 2 weeks later...

I have games that run faster in Stella than Z26. So I don't know which one is correct. Its probablly best to

test this game on real hardware which I don't have.

- The graphics flicker about every 3 seconds.

- Ship seems to fly too fast and is hard to control.

- I can almost beat the first level by staying in the same place and shooting.

- The "pellets" are not very smart and are not adding any extra challenge.

The graphics are the strong point. I think you just need to tighten up the AI and

control.

It's using a constant 262 scanlines, so I don't see how it will differ from real hardware.

Edited by CrazyChris

For flickering, use OpenGL rendering whenever possible in Stella; DON'T USE SOFTWARE MODE. A real system runs at approx. 60Hz (59.97 to be exact); this occurs at 262 scanlines. So Stella also runs at 60Hz, and again, I can't see how it would be faster than real hardware.

EDIT to respond to Maiki: If you're using an LCD and OpenGL, you definitely should use vsync, since all LCDs on the market today are at 60Hz.

Alright I played enough Star Castle on Funspot's arcade cab this past weekend to provide this additional information:

- A maximum of three successive shots are fired at a time

How do I know when the guy is getting ready to blast me?

It is supposed to be when there is a clear break in the rings and the cannon is pointing in your direction

Edited by rmaerz

• 10 months later...

I know I'm WAY late to the party here. I played a version at the Portland Retro show at the Atari Age booth last year (2012). I've been looking here for the physical game but it never showed up. I finally picked up a harmony cart JUST to play this game on hardware. You did an amazing job on this. It's outstanding. Hats off!!! I will certainly pick up the physical cart when it is out.

It's probably best this didn't come up when I was a kid, I probably would have flunked out of school.

IMG_0463-M.jpg

I know I'm WAY late to the party here. I played a version at the Portland Retro show at the Atari Age booth last year (2012). I've been looking here for the physical game but it never showed up. I finally picked up a harmony cart JUST to play this game on hardware. You did an amazing job on this. It's outstanding. Hats off!!! I will certainly pick up the physical cart when it is out.

It's probably best this didn't come up when I was a kid, I probably would have flunked out of school.

:thumbsup: Did you get the latest version, 101?

• 3 weeks later...

Off topic a little but I am physically sick that I missed the Kickstarter chance to buy the other version of this game. If anyone wants to sell one (I know, unlikely) let me know.

Three things.

This Star Castle is, in my opinion, better all around.

You may find the ROM (not from me :( ). It's not the artfully crafted blinking cart & box.

D. Scott has hinted he may not be finished. (Vague, I know... so was he.).

I have no doubt yours is better. Some people want to use 4k only as it was original, some constrain themselves in other ways. I say forget that and cram what you can in the cart. I just hated missing the KS for the novelty of the clear case and the idea behind it. It would have most likely been one of the few on my shelf rather than in my Atari. I usually don't collect a game unless I like it but there are exceptions.