IGNORED

Does my VIC-20 sound broken?

I got a good deal on a couple VIC-20s but they don't seem to work which doesn't bother me since it came with a ton or carts but I'd like to know if I'm doing something wrong or are they broken?

Does the VIC-20 make any kind of noise when you turn it on since I'm getting silence?

It does not make noise. What exact problem are you seeing? Does the light on the VIC turn on? Could be a bad RF adapter if it is the kind with the black box in the middle of the wire.

Well one is mounted in a base unit and it made a noise when I turned it on, the light was on but went off and it hasn't done that again. The second unit has the light come on but I'm having trouble with the picture, I tried it on a 1084S monitor and an LCD through RF to coaxial adaption but I haven't tried my CRT TV yet. The monitor works since I used it to test a Tandy before hand unless it failed since then.

It came with a bit of everything as far as AV cable options, maybe I just gave up to quickly but thanks for the info on how the VIC-20 is silent. I never had one before and I kind of expected noises but I guess disk drives are the main culprit for system noises.

VIC-20s are completely silent, just like Commodore 64.

Maybe the cables you have are junk. I've had that happen in C64 lots I've gotten off Craigslist. The AV cables are all dorked up and don't work anymore.

Also, which kind of 1084S are you using? The one with the DB9 RGB on the back (1084S-D1 and I think P1?) at least, you have to press the button in on the back to set it to use the composite input.

So, maybe check out all of that nonsense too. It's possible your stuffs fine and the monitor just needs a quick button press.

• Like 1

I received a VIC-20 just a few days ago. It took me a bit of fiddling but I got my flatscreen to acept input from the RF adapter - and I am pleasantly surprised that the picture quality is decent. If you are trying to use one of the fiddly old TV switchboxes, get rid of it and use an RF/RCA adapter, about $5 from your local Radio Shack or sold here on AA.

Anyone have some VIC-20 commons they want to sell..? I have a whopping two cart games so far, and wouldn't mind picking up a few more cheap carts/tapes to play.

• Like 1

Good news, I got the VIC-20 unit not in the RAM base going through an RF box using a coaxial adapter and played a couple rounds of Lode Runner, joy. ^_^ Decent picture quality, a little noise.

There was a switch on the RF box which was set to CH4 with my TV set to CH3 so duh on my part for not seeing that. I have another cable with Yellow, Black, White, and Red but I forget which wire does what and the monitor settings also.

My C64 monitor has a 3 setting switch of COMP/SEP/MONO, I tested MONO successfully with a Sega Genesis as I wasn't sure if the monitor was working when plugging the VIC into it.

The 1084S monitor has 3 switches, one on the front which says CVBS/RGB, another switch on the back which says CVBS/LCA, and the final switch say VCR on the back as well. I've only had this monitor for a few months so any info on what these switches do would be most appreciated.

Thank you for all your help, the further back you go the spottier the information gets. :)

The 1084S monitor has 3 switches, one on the front which says CVBS/RGB, another switch on the back which says CVBS/LCA, and the final switch say VCR on the back as well. I've only had this monitor for a few months so any info on what these switches do would be most appreciated.

1084S manual text or PDF

• Like 1

1084S manual text or PDF

Thanks you very kindly, most helpful. :)