IGNORED

Atari History Book

R4ngerM4n

Me thinks you should visit the section named 'gaming websites and publications' here on this site (it's mentioned there)

Edit...My bad, it's 'gaming publications and websites' not the other way round

look for the subject called 'Atari - the Comprehensive History (Volume 1)

Started by Curt Vendel, 2 Dec 2011 '

Edited by carmel_andrews

Yeppers and by the looks of it, it looks to be quite awesome. :)

Martin Goldberg recently did a radio interview about the book and Atari in general, talking about its early days, highlighting on certain mythologies and anecdotal tales that have been entwined with the companies history, now dispelled or put into perspective by new and previously undisclosed information and clarifications by those involved, coming to light. He speaks of the things that lead up to the videogame crash and Ataris' role. He also touches on the Atari that few knew about, speaking about some of the research department projects, like Ataritel, and the developement of a dual-chip 16-bit system, designed in the early 80's that maybe, if it had been given the chance to see production, could well have given the Mac a run for its money; ideas that if the company had been managed differently, could have put it in league with other pioneering technology companies like Apple, or IBM. Pretty dang fascinating stuff.

http://www.wuwm.com/...?segmentid=9296

And noting, now, that they (Marty, Ted Dabney and Curt Vendel) have incorporated under the old company name, which is also acting as publisher of this book, I might as well give them a little shout-out and put one of their web presences out there. :

https://www.facebook.com/syzygycompany

Best of luck guys...keep the dream alive! :)

• Like 1

If you isolate the front-cover image in an image editor and enlarge it visualy to about what an oversized trade paperback would be, you get a better sense of proportion of the image elements. Of course at higher source resolution and printed on paper it should look better, still.

I think it looks fine. If I were designing it, I might have chosen a single iconic image for the front, like the 2600 joystick for this title, with the banded orange swoopy lines you would see from the era, below the title, running across to the back and then framing it. (Not too far off from your design, actually!.)Then maybe a representation of Asteroids or similar game for the next in the series, then maybe an image of Computer Space for the third. I love the snapshot idea, though...so dunno.

A couple of notes, though. The full title, including the subtitle, should be visable on the spine. I assume the ISBN and reference to your publishing house (Is that it on the spine?) would appear on the cover as well, for reference sake and to protect your assets. (If it is a hardcover, you could place the ISBN on one of the inside cover flanges if the integrity of the artwork is a key requirement.)

what this book will be about? only history or history+new hw things?

The book is about what the title says. Atari Inc., the first Atari.

If you isolate the front-cover image in an image editor and enlarge it visualy to about what an oversized trade paperback would be, you get a better sense of proportion of the image elements. Of course at higher source resolution and printed on paper it should look better, still.

It was designed on a 6 x 9 cover template, the image posted here is simply a low res smaller image for distribution.

I think it looks fine. If I were designing it, I might have chosen a single iconic image for the front, like the 2600 joystick for this title, with the banded orange swoopy lines you would see from the era, below the title, running across to the back and then framing it. (Not too far off from your design, actually!.)

That's exactly what we didn't want. The thing the fans need to realize is this is about the entire history of that company, not just a gloss over the early years and moving on to the late 70's/early 80's era the fans here are more familiar with. Hence we wanted a cover that represented all the eras of the company equally and not draw from one era unevenly. When you see the actual high-res cover, the details like the actual Syzygy Company token will pop out more, along with the shadowing, etc.

I love the snapshot idea, though...so dunno.

The inspiration for the snapshot idea is really exactly what we saw as we went and interviewed all the different ex-Atari people in California this last time we were out in April. We're sitting there with them fondly talking to us about their wonderful time working there, with their kept memories and keepsakes strewn across countertops or tables.

A couple of notes, though. The full title, including the subtitle, should be visable on the spine. I assume the ISBN and reference to your publishing house (Is that it on the spine?) would appear on the cover as well, for reference sake and to protect your assets. (If it is a hardcover, you could place the ISBN on one of the inside cover flanges if the integrity of the artwork is a key requirement.)

The full title is, the Business is Fun is a subtitle and those don't usually go on the spine. And again, this is just a press release, the ISBN and bar code will be going on the back.

• Like 1

This will help better visualize the book, its a 6X9 hardcover (as weil as ebook/ibook release. Inside images are black and white, we may consider doing an all color version when Book #2 that covers Atari Corp comes out in December.

bif-cover-concept-sm.jpg

Book #2 will be

ATARI CORP.

-----------------

Business is War

Edited by Curt Vendel
  • Like 1

Will there be pictures?

14) Code-names have always been popular at Atari. The VCS was "Stella," the

400 computer was "Candy," the 800 was "Coleen, the 5200 was "Pam." All were

named after well endowed female employees working at Atari (except for Stella,

which was a bicycle trade name).

• Like 1

we may consider doing an all color version when Book #2 that covers Atari Corp comes out in December.

I think the all color version sounds excellent. Both books in a set (with color) sounds dandy!

Book #2 will be

ATARI CORP.

-----------------

Business is War

Ah, the "Business is Fun" thing makes a whole lot more sense in that context. Excellent!

I like the cover!

• 2 weeks later...

Don't want to put a negative note on this, but a little heads up on Amazon. Someone has a title posted up on June 18th, labeled as Atari, Inc., that is mainly a compilation of Wikipedia articles and other articles pulled from the web, with all of the usual innaccuricies. He's charging $USD 37.00 for the priveledge of a few hours cut and paste job. As it's all public-access knowledge, there is nothing that realy should prevent anyone from doing this as a service, but it seems a little opportune, especially with the title of this book being mentioned in press release just before that time, if you know what I mean. ;)

Needless to say, that is not Curt and Marty's book.

Don't want to put a negative note on this, but a little heads up on Amazon. Someone has a title posted up on June 18th, labeled as Atari, Inc., that is mainly a compilation of Wikipedia articles and other articles pulled from the web, with all of the usual innaccuricies. He's charging $USD 37.00 for the priveledge of a few hours cut and paste job. As it's all public-access knowledge, there is nothing that realy should prevent anyone from doing this as a service, but it seems a little opportune, especially with the title of this book being mentioned in press release just before that time, if you know what I mean. ;)

Needless to say, that is not Curt and Marty's book.

I just LOVE people trying to make a quick buck on my Wikipedia work. :P

One of the many reasons I quit.