IGNORED

Atari History Book

R4ngerM4n

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When is it going to be released? Outstanding teaser! I've often wondered how the 400 and 800 design came to be. For 1978, Atari on their first try knocked it out of the park. Look what they designed;

1) Dedicated video chips to produce great color graphics and unload the CPU. A pre-cursor to the video card.

2) Dedicated audio chip to produce, at the time, superior sound. Again, a pre-cursor to sound boards.

3) An I/O connector that in the end analysis, was the pre-cursor to UBS. Joe Decuir created the SIO for Atari and holds the patent for USB. He has said that the Atari SIO was the basis for USB. Think about it, each device can transfer its own information and can be daisy chained.

4) I worked on your NTSC television that you already owned, making it much easier to afford. And it's COLOR!

The Colleen and Candy were way ahead of their time. In 1978, Apple, IBM and Tandy had none of this, but they did eventually adopt these features. They had to. Atari unfortunately made extremely poor marketing choices and lost the opportunity to dominate. My first exposure to the PC was the Apple II that my high school had for a computer programing class I took in 1981. A new friend in the class had an 800. Having spent most of the year coding on a monochrome Apple II, I should be firmly in the Apple camp right? As soon as I saw the 800, it was no contest. A much better machine on all counts. Remember, I'm looking at it from the new student, home user. You can make subjective arguments about expansion, but by 1983, you could get most of what you needed for the Atari. I used them through high school and college. I used the University's new monochrome Macs and they crashed every 45 minutes. By the time I graduated college the 8088 IBM PC was king and Apple just never met my requirements. Atari did and I could have afforded either one.

Edited by ACML

Interesting, but obviously a very rough draft. Are you going to hire a proof reader / editor?

No, not obviously a very rough draft. As the opening of the chapter states, this is specifically done in a mixture of timeline, event listing, and storytelling. I.E. this chapter was presented in this manner on purpose to reflect the material and the engineering project books much of the material comes from. Other chapters (such as the first preview we released) are done more in a storytelling manner. Loni Reeder, who worked at Atari, is our editor. All the content for our book, including this, has been done for some time now as already stated. Likewise, we've had the book proofed several times over already. If there's any minor typos that escaped the process (which there usually are in the first round of publishing - take a look at the first runs of Bagnall's Commodore book, Jeff Ryan's Super Mario book and Kent's Ultimate History), they'll be fixed in the next.

• 2 weeks later...

Wasnt this supposed to be out in August?

No, we have always been up front and given planned released dates, never firm dates. There's just too many variables in self-publishing to give an exact date. We've given updates where we thought we were ready to go only to have things get pushed back, but we can't help that if people have chosen to interpret that differently.

I have self published a few books myself, once you deliver the finished product the timeline is like clockwork.

But that's ok, maybe my experience is different.

So what is the expected date of release?

Very soon. We want to have everything set to go for regular publication in time for Thanksgiving and Black Friday/the start of the Christmas shopping season.

No, not obviously a very rough draft. As the opening of the chapter states, this is specifically done in a mixture of timeline, event listing, and storytelling. I.E. this chapter was presented in this manner on purpose to reflect the material and the engineering project books much of the material comes from. Other chapters (such as the first preview we released) are done more in a storytelling manner. Loni Reeder, who worked at Atari, is our editor. All the content for our book, including this, has been done for some time now as already stated. Likewise, we've had the book proofed several times over already. If there's any minor typos that escaped the process (which there usually are in the first round of publishing - take a look at the first runs of Bagnall's Commodore book, Jeff Ryan's Super Mario book and Kent's Ultimate History), they'll be fixed in the next.

No, it's not obvious that it's not obviously a very rough draft. I can just about get away with the use of the present tense after the narrative has eventually decided to abandon the past tense, but thereafter it occasionally lurches uneasily between the two. One example:

Steve of course tells him, "Yes, no problem, won't happen again," but it wasn't long before Steve would go and steal another employee... [p.497]

And these (which I don't consider minor typos) leapt out after a couple of minutes spent reading the sample:

Not one's to rest on their laurels... [p. 496]

The computer project get's it's official name... [p. 499]

After several proofings, the above can't be passed of as narrative style, I'm afraid. That's not to say it's not a good read, and a tremendous project: it's both. But I hope it's been run past a proof reader who knows what they're doing since the sample was released, thereby avoiding the less desirable hallmarks of a self-publishing job.

No, it's not obvious that it's not obviously a very rough draft.

Your opinion.

I can just about get away with the use of the present tense after the narrative has eventually decided to abandon the past tense, but thereafter it occasionally lurches uneasily between the two. One example:

Nothing wrong with the example cited, as was stated elsewhere, this book is specifically written in present tense throughout. In the example cited, you're in the then "present," which is being discussed along with something that will happen "in the future". ("wasn't long before Steve would go...")

After several proofings, the above can't be passed of as narrative style, I'm afraid.

Per the additional two lines you cited,

"If there's any minor typos that escaped the process..."

Each chapter has been gone over many many times. There's bound to be issues like the above in the first edition, just as there are in any first edition including those that are not self-published.

That's not to say it's not a good read, and a tremendous project: it's both. But I hope it's been run past a proof reader who knows what they're doing since the sample was released, thereby avoiding the less desirable hallmarks of a self-publishing job.

We're very happy with the proofing that's been done on a book this size, in the timeframe allowed, by a very qualified individual. Thanks for your concern. :)

You should not defend your misuse of apostrophies. Instead, question your proofers. We fans just want your book to be the best it can be.

How is stating "If there's any minor typos that escaped the process they'll be addressed in the next edition" in relation to said apostrophies defending anything? This is really just getting insane already with some of you.

The only thing being "defended" was someone coming on here and calling this "obviously a rough draft," which comes off a bit publicly insulting after all the work and editing put in, and a concern they could have just as easily addressed privately.