IGNORED

Atari Book - Countdown clock has started

I voiced opinions, while you voiced insults joking about my comprehension skills, forcing me to reply...honestly I think that you are the one that should go elsewhere, if you can't stand someone who refuses to take your insults without replying. But probably you are so full of yourself that you consider everthing you say an absolute truth, while others just have comprehension issues...

I hate to say this, but I have filed a claim at Amazon payments yesterday. My deadline for claims is October 24th, less than a week away, and if this book never ships, I'll be out the $40 bucks with no recourse to get it back. If you have made a deposit through Amazon payments, I would advise you to do likewise and wait for this book to show up on Amazon. Sorry if anyone thinks I'm being untrusting, but I've preordered stuff before that never came to fruition and kept waiting and waiting and basically never saw my money or the product again. Even back in the pre-internet days, my mom ordered some stuff through a catalog once, and sent in her check, which did get deducted, and the stuff she ordered never came. Months later, she attempted to contact the company by phone only to find the number disconnected and the company bankrupt. The bank said they couldn't do anything about it since she signed and authorized the check herself. I'm just not taking any chances. If the book launches, I will buy it afterwords.

Edited by stardust4ever

I did not preorder the Atari book from the Amazon website. I preordered the book directly from from the publisher, but used Amazon payments to send the money. When you preorder an item on Amazon, they give you a list price and a release date. When the item is officially released, Amazon charges your card. If the price drops, you actually get it cheaper, and if the price goes up, Amazon eats the difference. If the date gets pushed back by a month or more, Amazon will send you an email asking if you still want the item, giving you the option to cancel. Either way, you can cancel a pre-order through the website at any time prior to release date, and you are never charged for anything until the item ships. Even stores like Gamestop require a reserve deposit of $5 for games or $50 for consoles, but you are still free to cancel at anytime, and if you cancel or don't pick it up on time, they will refund your preorder deposit, so there is no financial risk. I would recommend only prepaying for products from companies that have a proven track record of quality customer service. The Ataribook publisher, fledgling company "Szygney Press" (whose name I can't spell or pronounce), was presumably created to promote the book. I wish it success, but the risk of failure is high, and I would like to recieve this book as much as anybody, but I also do not want to lose my money if the book never surfaces. Amazon Payments has a 60-day claims period, actually 15 days longer than Paypal, so hopefully, I'm in good hands. I pre-paid on July 24th, 3 days before the book was scheduled to launch, and it hasn't shipped yet.

What about those of us who preordered through kickstarter. Are we just out of luck if this never ships?

Unfortunately we are out of luck but we shouldn't forget kickstarter is not for "preordering" but for supporting projects and the possibility that a project fails should be taken into account when we decide to pledge.

Said this, I'm sure the book is coming soon despite the delays so I'm not really worried but it would be great if we, kickstarter backers, would get a pdf version to start reading it while waiting for the physical copy to be finally printed by Amazon and shipped...

Unfortunately we are out of luck but we shouldn't forget kickstarter is not for "preordering" but for supporting projects and the possibility that a project fails should be taken into account when we decide to pledge.

Said this, I'm sure the book is coming soon despite the delays so I'm not really worried but it would be great if we, kickstarter backers, would get a pdf version to start reading it while waiting for the physical copy to be finally printed by Amazon and shipped...

That is a fantastic idea, especially since it's been nearly 3 months since we paid for the silly thing! Perhaps somebody should pass that idea along to them.

The pre-ordering all goes through Amazon and the Createspace system, they are the ones who generated the actual pre-order button for the website. Instead of making a big public spectacle, a simple email either asking to cancel or otherwise is a lot more efficient. Just PM'd you, send over your real name and order#, if you want to cancel, its no big deal. Just a heads up though, if you do decide to order later you've lost out on the pre-order lower pricing...

For those who've been following the status updates (including the ones up on kickstarter for those who asked) we resubmitted the book back to Createspace for review and adjustments and just a few minor fixes were pushed back on us which is good and we've been working on them, we also noted in the status updates that we also added nearly 100 additional pages of content and photo's to the book, so now its up to 700 pages.

There are plenty of ways to email both myself and Marty... so I find it odd to see a complaining thread versus a simple email directly to one of us asking for a cancellation.

Curt

I did not preorder the Atari book from the Amazon website. I preordered the book directly from from the publisher, but used Amazon payments to send the money. When you preorder an item on Amazon, they give you a list price and a release date. When the item is officially released, Amazon charges your card. If the price drops, you actually get it cheaper, and if the price goes up, Amazon eats the difference. If the date gets pushed back by a month or more, Amazon will send you an email asking if you still want the item, giving you the option to cancel. Either way, you can cancel a pre-order through the website at any time prior to release date, and you are never charged for anything until the item ships. Even stores like Gamestop require a reserve deposit of $5 for games or $50 for consoles, but you are still free to cancel at anytime, and if you cancel or don't pick it up on time, they will refund your preorder deposit, so there is no financial risk. I would recommend only prepaying for products from companies that have a proven track record of quality customer service. The Ataribook publisher, fledgling company "Szygney Press" (whose name I can't spell or pronounce), was presumably created to promote the book. I wish it success, but the risk of failure is high, and I would like to recieve this book as much as anybody, but I also do not want to lose my money if the book never surfaces. Amazon Payments has a 60-day claims period, actually 15 days longer than Paypal, so hopefully, I'm in good hands. I pre-paid on July 24th, 3 days before the book was scheduled to launch, and it hasn't shipped yet.

• Like 4

Actually we are in active corrections/fixes with Createspace, and its been very fluid going back and forth with them, which has been good... we submitted our first full submission Sept 30th and it took them a while to get back to us the first time, but we've been going back and forth addressing things with them, we are basically down to a matter of days at this point, no more weeks or such, it's now just a few days before its up and active.

Actually we are in active corrections/fixes with Createspace, and its been very fluid going back and forth with them, which has been good... we submitted our first full submission Sept 30th and it took them a while to get back to us the first time, but we've been going back and forth addressing things with them, we are basically down to a matter of days at this point, no more weeks or such, it's now just a few days before its up and active.

CreateSpace? Good to know that a self-published book can get into Amazon. How much did you have to pay CreateSpace? Other AA members might want to write their own books. I think I'll write one about controlled randomness. Then people will take me seriously. :lol:

• Like 1