IGNORED

Atari Book - Countdown clock has started

I use an old version of Acrobat (because I refuse to PURCHASE a newer complete version, expensive and bloated):

But I get this:

You can download the latest version of the Adobe reader for free. I'm assuming you can keep your original paid version if you install the updated free reader into a different Program Files folder. I've simultaneously installed multiple versions of software before. Edited by stardust4ever

Use Foxit PDF reader. It's free, and not a security riddled piece of shit like Adobe's software is.

Here is a link for people who don't know how to use search engines:

www.foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader/

For people who don't know how to use links, move the mouse pointer using your mouse (that lumpy rounded thing under your hand) and hover it over the line of text above. Do you see how the mouse pointer changed shape? Now click the left mouse button. A new window or tab should pop up containing a web site where you can learn more about Foxit Reader.

You can download the latest version of the Adobe reader for free. I'm assuming you can keep your original paid version if you install the updated free reader into a different Program Files folder. I've simultaneously installed multiple versions of software before.

You do. Adobe Reader and Adobe Acrobat are two separate applications.

Here is a link for people who don't know how to use search engines:

www.foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader/

For people who don't know how to use links, move the mouse pointer using your mouse (that lumpy rounded thing under your hand) and hover it over the line of text above. Do you see how the mouse pointer changed shape? Now click the left mouse button. A new window or tab should pop up containing a web site where you can learn more about Foxit Reader.

the_more_you_know.jpg

post-27802-0-41112200-1352215999_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Preorders...

...take...

...forever...

Would like to get my Atari book before the Mayan Armageddon arrives. I probably won't have electricity in my bunker save for a hand-cranked flashlight, so I'll need some fresh reading material to keep my mind preoccupied whilst waiting for the fallout to subside.

/sarcasm

They promised you a book, not a date. But if you insist, just remember the no kissing rule.

Well, to tell the truth they promised a book AND a date (27 July). Now of course delays can happen but at least let's not pretend that the release date is a minor detail that wasn't even mentioned....after all without a release date we will never be able to enjoy the book :)

Well, to tell the truth they promised a book AND a date (27 July). Now of course delays can happen but at least let's not pretend that the release date is a minor detail that wasn't even mentioned....after all without a release date we will never be able to enjoy the book :)

I predict that the book will be released on

. :D

I think at least weekly updates should be posted. I understand problems happen, but this book is almost 4 months past its release date! And since this is a community funded book with kickstarter and pre-orders, the community should at least know the status. If there was no money exchanged, then that would be a different story and would have the right to stay silent with the old developer montra of "when it is done".

• Like 2

I think at least weekly updates should be posted. I understand problems happen, but this book is almost 4 months past its release date! And since this is a community funded book with kickstarter and pre-orders, the community should at least know the status. If there was no money exchanged, then that would be a different story and would have the right to stay silent with the old developer montra of "when it is done".

4 months is inexcusable, especially when the claims period has expired on most orders. I shouldn't have cancelled my claim on October 23rd, but the seller insisted that the book would be shipping the following week, before the end of October, so I cancelled my claim based on my faith in the seller that it was shipping soon. And when I had previously contacted the seller in late September, he promised early October. He also chastised me in a PM for publicly discussing the issue openly in the forum, but I'm really not the only person being affected by the issue. Either ship the book or refund mine and other people's money...

I have no doubts that the book will eventually be published and shipped. When that will happen I have no idea, however. I agree that a weekly update would be appropriate, even if it went something like "No status change this week, still waiting on the publisher to return my phone calls." Just knowing the current status of the book would make this situation a lot less frustrating. I hope I have it by Christmas. :)

He also chastised me in a PM for publicly discussing the issue openly in the forum, but I'm really not the only person being affected by the issue. Either ship the book or refund mine and other people's money...

But not telling the truth in public and being all mysterious and secretive is more fun. :D

I don't see what's hard about keeping people updated once a week. It could just be a sentence or two. Weekly examples:

"The publishing company found a huge error, so we have to edit 2 chapters."

"Almost done editing, but my dog died. I'll get back to work in a few days."

"Found out that the publishing company killed my dog. I'm putting on my ninja outfit and paying them a visit."

"It didn't go well. I'm tweeting this from jail (using a cell phone a guy smuggled in). Don't ask me where he hid it or how many salads I had to toss to get it."

• Like 4

It is not 4 months past due, we have always been up front and given planned released dates, never firm dates. There's just too many variables in self-publishing to give an exact date. We've given updates where we thought we were ready to go only to have things get pushed back, but we can't help that if people have chosen to interpret that differently. Likewise we've been far more accessible than any publisher or self-published author normally is, via here, facebook, constant emailed queries, and more. If there's something important to update, we do. If there's not, we won't. It is being worked on, and as some of the AA members who live in the Milwaukee area can attest - I've got the dark rings under my eyes to prove it.

I'm still waiting for my copy of Star Castle which was promised in June and cost 4 times what this book cost. But that's another topic.

My point exactly. People wait far far longer when pre-ordering games, whether self-published or big studio released.

4 months is inexcusable, especially when the claims period has expired on most orders. I shouldn't have cancelled my claim on October 23rd, but the seller insisted that the book would be shipping the following week, before the end of October, so I cancelled my claim based on my faith in the seller that it was shipping soon. And when I had previously contacted the seller in late September, he promised early October. He also chastised me in a PM for publicly discussing the issue openly in the forum, but I'm really not the only person being affected by the issue. Either ship the book or refund mine and other people's money...

What's inexcuseable is continually trying to get people to cancel their orders on here. It's a dickish move, and has the possiblity of affecting the entire ability to publish the book - if too many people cancel, we loose createspace and Amazon. You want to complain publicly about your own order, fine. You want to try and publicly get people to pull theirs, that's what you got chastised about and will get chastised about. Likewise, it seems the concept of a pre-order is not being understood. Pre-orders are normally done with the understanding that dates are expected, not firm, and subject to change - because you're ordering before the product is ready to go. Game releases and book publishings routinely slide 6 months to a year (some have gone several years), and this has just been a 4 month window - all with far more communication than any other book or game publisher gives anyone.

The continued attitude of several people here is nothing but a slap in the face, when I've been pushing myself and doing nothing but regular job all day to book all night and weekend since May. I'm physically and mentally exhausted, but still pushing forward because it needs to get done and I want this War and Peace sized book out and enjoyed by everyone. This is being done out of pure love for the subject, not any need to make a buck, and because we knew nobody else was up to the task of putting together a book with the needed accurate content - let alone this much of it. It's also why we decided to self publish - the book would have been half the size, taken even longer to publish (9 months to a year turnaround we were told), and be edited content wise to what the publisher thinks would sell rather than what we know the fans are expecting. This entire time, I've been continually telling the people that worked at Atari that we interviewed (and who have been gracious enough to continue to make themselves accessible during this entire process) that I hope we do them justice with this book and make them happy. That's been my personal measuring stick in all this.

• Like 8