IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

Thanks, I've got Infraview, it just never occurred to me to look for color count info in it. I just resize, sharpen and make sure images are 24bpp before I load them into Rasta. Rarely I'll use Timanthes and convert to Atari palette before hand, on some images if I have trouble without, but that's it there too...so far...I'm learning. I still need to try proper masking too, but haven't so far, because I can usually end up with better details where I want just from adjusting palette, color brightness, contrast and gamma.

Edited by Gunstar

From the command line, I count colours with pnmcolormap:

$ pngtopnm output.png | pnmcolormap 2 >/dev/null
pnmcolormap: making histogram...
pnmcolormap: 78 colors found
pnmcolormap: choosing 2 colors...

Basically, this is the first step of pnmquant and discarding the output, because I'm only interested in the number of colours found :)

• Like 3

I think this one ran for about 130 million, because I forgot about it all afternoon, but yeah, most of my images are 50-100 mil. and sometimes I could end them sooner, but just let them run to at least 50 mil anyway. After about a 100 conversions or attempts or more, letting some run as much as 600 million, I start to get a feel for how a conversion is going, and learn to guess if that image at 10 million evaluations is only going to get 5% better if I let it run for 600 million, and still not be satisfactory, and stop them and try again with different settings. But, these are definitely not first attempts.

This particular one is my fourth attempt, cutting short with about 10-20 mil if I don't like the looks of it and go back and adjust the color brightness, contrast and gamma until I get it right. Also choosing the best palette and color distance for the subject matter. But I definitely haven't even tried masking yet. There are about 3 times as many pictures that I can't get right to my satisfaction that I discard, maybe return to them later.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

I 2nd that on behalf of us browsing on phones or tablets not close to a PC or Atari.

That is why I sometimes also post similar text. Indeed, and in my case, I am about 2/3 or even 3/4 of a day unable to get to the P.C. because I'm out of home or I'm too lazy to get out of the bed or I simply didn't paid the month web computer connection bill :grin:...

P.s.- At the time I am posting this the cats picture number of downloads is winning by 3 vs 2.

It seems, like on YouTube and social weblinks, A8 users also like/prefer cats and think they're sweet, lovely, pretty,...

:)

:grin:

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 2

I'm sorry, Philsan!

It is my first conversions...

And now I sends Atari imgs.

post-20208-0-79557000-1492344538_thumb.png

post-20208-0-41012400-1492344550_thumb.png

You can see some horizontal defects... even unucceptable at all!

But the reason why I sended small pngs with originals is that I've intended to show you all picture.

Sorry again...

• Like 3

You know - I am jealous here. How the ***k are you making such kick-ass conversions with so few iterations?!?

A couple things I forgot to mention in my process, I usually stick with just 2 threads in the conversion options but maybe 25% of the time I will even lower it to 1 thread, it seems to work better, IMHO, the fewer threads used, you have to be very patient with one thread going. I also usually jack the number of solutions up to about 50, doing these things seem to help me get better conversions, even though I really can only guess at how they work.

I choose to not use multiple threads because it seems to me, from my experience, I get uneven pictures with 3 or more threads going, some threads will be more detailed than others, they seem to me to be oblivious to each other and the algorithms run entirely independent. I've no real proof or anything to substantiate this, except the quality of images I post, but it seems to work for me.

But there is a lot more that I take into consideration with the picture "reductions" and one of these days I'll do a tutorial on the way I use Rastaconverter and details of it all, it's too much to go through it all here. I'm talking about the source that starts at whatever resolution and 24bpp full 16.7 million colors, reduced 320 x 240, then color reduction to Atari 256 colors at 320 x 240 in the destination image, and then that is further reduced to 160 x 320 and apparently a max of 128 colors, and I am not sure, but I think it seems to me like it is only choosing from a 128 color palette, but even if it is 256 color palette still, it can't use them all. So color brightness, contrast and gamma can play huge roles in helping the algorithms choose better color matches for the output image which I find especially important in the proper shading and therefore detail in images.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Since emkay's picture is of a Demon train, I thought I'd take this spot to post a file of my Locomotive pictures I have so far. I am sorry, but I did these before, and I do not have any output .png's to show. But I thought .xex's are better than nothing? But if I only post the images that I remember to save a copy of the output.png, then you'll probably ever see about 1 in 10 of my images, I get dozens ready, and run them right after another, and often forget to save the previous output.

Locamotives.zip

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 3

I almost discarded this one because I think I can get better results (streaking below the spear tip), but I decided to go ahead and show it as it's not too bad. this one I left running all night and was about 260 million evaluations. 52 colors.

By the way, I sometimes don't see dark gray streaking over black or similar dark colors on black because I keep my brightness low and contrast high on my PC and Atari monitors. So if you want to see it the way I do, set your brightness for about 30-35 and contrast about 75-80. I've noticed some dark streaks over black by accident on a couple pictures after the fact, by seeing it from an angle on my LCD monitor.

post-149-0-06986200-1492637015_thumb.png

Spartan.xex

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 4

Since emkay's picture is of a Demon train, I thought I'd take this spot to post a file of my Locomotive pictures I have so far. I am sorry, but I did these before, and I do not have any output .png's to show. But I thought .xex's are better than nothing? But if I only post the images that I remember to save a copy of the output.png, then you'll probably ever see about 1 in 10 of my images, I get dozens ready, and run them right after another, and often forget to save the previous output.

Sorry, I just noticed I misspelled Locomotive in the file name!