Philsan

2 hours ago, ilmenit said:

Beta10 has been released:
https://github.com/ilmenit/RastaConverter/releases/tag/Beta10

* pthreads dependency removed (laoo)
* Added thousands separator in statistics
* Added command line parameter to window title
* Changed default auto-save to "auto" to save SSD disks life

Awesome - thanks.  SOO glad you added thousands separator (sometimes it's the most simple things that help!).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ClausB said:

Request: SpaceX Starship launch: 

starship-launch.thumb.jpeg.9715026b768094f3488bb183a93deadf.jpeg

I'm trying some things, but not getting any kind of decent result with this one.  It doesn't look awful in the tiny thumbnail, but when viewing on the Atari, just looks a garbled mess.  I'll keep working on it though.

StarshipLaunch_Progress.thumb.jpg.43357f0774992fc26e444a7ebf2d6d96.jpg

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I'm trying some things, but not getting any kind of decent result with this one.  It doesn't look awful in the tiny thumbnail, but when viewing on the Atari, just looks a garbled mess.  I'll keep working on it though.

StarshipLaunch_Progress.thumb.jpg.43357f0774992fc26e444a7ebf2d6d96.jpg

This is a difficult image  I been foolen with it for sometime maybe we'll get lucky :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stephen said:

Best I could manage - 75 colours.  There's just not enough resolution to really pull any details here.

StarshipLaunch_Progress.thumb.jpg.e8892f6aad77f66407598e444992434d.jpg

I think part of the difficulty with this image is that the area where the flame is creates an ambient effect that results in a lot of colors. The target image actually looks good. Your output image is pretty good too; but I'm guessing you'd need to leave this one run for quite a while to get a lot of the details from the destination image.

I might make an attempt at this one; but I'll probably severely downsample the colors (as I normally do) and lose quite a bit of the ambient flame effect (hopefully not too much). Might be interesting to see what else can be done with it, though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrFish said:

I think part of the difficulty with this image is that the area where the flame is creates an ambient effect that results in a lot of colors. The target image actually looks good. Your output image is pretty good too; but I'm guessing you'd need to leave this one run for quite a while to get a lot of the details from the destination image.

I might make an attempt at this one; but I'll probably severely downsample the colors (as I normally do) and lose quite a bit of the ambient flame effect (hopefully not too much). Might be interesting to see what else can be done with it, though.

Running this one any longer would not have resulted in improvements.  The final 100 million iterations only resulted in the normal distance changing by the thousandths.  This was using 8192 solutions as well.  I was surprised to get this one to turn out at all, without making some pretty drastic changes to the source image.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stephen said:

Running this one any longer would not have resulted in improvements.  The final 100 million iterations only resulted in the normal distance changing by the thousandths.  This was using 8192 solutions as well.  I was surprised to get this one to turn out at all, without making some pretty drastic changes to the source image.

You're talking to someone who has done a conversion that ran for 6 months +. During that process, changes would often stop completely for days or even weeks, and then suddenly start back up again at a solid rate. I've also run conversions for 1 to 4 months, and used solution values of 25,000 to 50,000. So, when I say "you'd need to leave this one run for quite a while", I'm talking about something completely different than most people. ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, MrFish said:

You're talking to someone who has done a conversion that ran for 6 months +. During that process, changes would often stop completely for days or even weeks, and then suddenly start back up again at a solid rate. I've also run conversions for 1 to 4 months, and used solution values of 25,000 to 50,000. So, when I say "you'd need to leave this one run for quite a while", I'm talking about something completely different than most people. ;)

Wow - that's pretty hardcore!  I shudder to think of the heat this machine would produce if running a conversion for a solid 4 months.  450 to 500 watts continuous for 2,880 hours - I will have to respectfully pass on this one.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Wow - that's pretty hardcore!  I shudder to think of the heat this machine would produce if running a conversion for a solid 4 months.  450 to 500 watts continuous for 2,880 hours - I will have to respectfully pass on this one.

This is the longest conversion I ran: Green Acres (I estimated 6 - 8 months continuously running).

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, gnusto said:

I've often wondered (but haven't bothered to try to figure out) if RC could be GPU assisted. OpenCL has both C and C++ micro kernels.

Yeah, it was contemplated but as I understand it would be a major undertaking to take the rc code and rework it to use gpu's. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gnusto said:

I've often wondered (but haven't bothered to try to figure out) if RC could be GPU assisted. OpenCL has both C and C++ micro kernels.

I think parallel processing with Nvidia cuda would speed things up.  My gpu has over 3500 cores :)   also Processing cpu's that support AVX512 would also speed things up.

• Like 1