IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

Nice but too easy for RC - the real challenge would be to do the colour graduations as diagonals and see how it handles that.

I wasn't doing it for a challenge, I did it because it was easy. :roll:

I think I've done my fair share of "challenging" for RC. :ponder:

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

It's amazing what Rasta Converter does to stretch the possibilities of the Atari's video hardware to create all these colors :thumbsup: .

Equally amazing (in my opinion) is what was done to get 1024 colors from a IBM CGA 16 color video board.

1k01_graffiti1k2.png

CGA in 1024 Colors - a New Mode: the Illustrated Guide

The article goes into a lot of detail as to how this was done. Might be something useful to be gleaned from it.

• Like 6

That's artifacting - the CGA mode being more capable in that area since it's got more colour control to begin with (ie, seperate colours in 320 pixel mode, not a better default palette).

Thanks for the feedback :) . I don't want to divert this thread any more than I already have, so let's call it a thing of interest, but not something directly translatable to the A8 in any beneficial way.

Tried Rasta with a few simple comic pics but it really isn't suited for those. Too much solid colors I guess. After about 5000000 evals banding creeps in to never go away, no matter the settings or how long it's left to run.

Anyways, a first, more or less, serious attempt, just for fun.

Fox-1_IntelOutside1997.xex

-

post-3660-0-60771700-1527799803_thumb.png

rc Fox-1_intelOutside1997.png /h=191 /pal=g2f /dither=chess /dither_val=1.75 /dither_rand=0.6 /contrast=18 /init=smart /threads=11

Cropped source:

post-3660-0-93084700-1527799944.png

Edited by Fox-1 / mnx
  • Like 5

The source of this one was a highly compressed 640x480 jpeg picture someone took at the parking lot of UnConventional 2001 Party in Lengenfeld, Germany.

Because of the extensive artifacts I didn't expect much of it but it came out not as bad as I thought it would (but not that good either).

post-3660-0-12606300-1527849386.png

.png Input

-

post-3660-0-93032000-1527849339.png

.png Output

-

rc Fox-1_MazdaVanUnCon2K1.png /h=180 /pal=real /dither=knoll /dither_rand=0.6 /brightness=4 /contrast=6 /init=smart /threads=11

About 4000000000 Evals

Fox-1_MazdaVanUnCon2K1.xex

• Like 6

I wonder why every comic-like pic I try ends up with strange horizontal lines in the .EXE that aren't visible in the .PNG

post-3660-0-66753700-1527894521.png

Altirra screenshot

-

post-3660-0-92315600-1527894767.png

Output PNG

-

At a certain point in time lines appear out of thin air (mid-left: blue line thru "ZOO" letters and mid-right: white line on stairs) that won't go away. Only common factor with earlier attempts is the typical black lining in the drawing.

post-3660-0-09732100-1527894996_thumb.png

rc Fox-1_DirkjanIssue5.png /h=240 /pal=laoo /dither=knoll /dither_val=1.2 /dither_rand=0.8 /brightness=8 /contrast=-5 /init=smart /threads=11

Fox-1_DirkjanIssue5.xex

b.t.w: It's a part from the cover of a Dutch comic featuring the anti-hero "Dirkjan", a character by Mark Retera. Totally unknown outside the Netherlands and Belgium I guess :-)

• Like 4

First guess I thought it was Far Side.

Where that line is seems to coincide where the letters aren't very thick. I reckon if you thickened the letters and reduced other detail on those lines a bit it would fix it. Though the dither is a big part of that other detail and is added by the program.

Actually, it looks like you've hit one of the edge cases where RastaConverter doesn't properly emulate("know") what a real Atari would output. Came up... quite a few pages back, but this year or late last, I think. Since RastaConverter isn't being actively updated anymore and the changes would probably be complex, it's unlikely to get fixed or worked around in RastaConverter unfortunately.

Chances are if you try again from earlier save point or from scratch, it'll miss the edge case

Actually, it looks like you've hit one of the edge cases where RastaConverter doesn't properly emulate("know") what a real Atari would output.

Chances are if you try again from earlier save point or from scratch, it'll miss the edge case

It may be an edge case. I really have no idea.

Restarting the conversion, with or without switching dither pattern, won't solve it. Sooner or later the lines creep in again but not necessarily at the same scan line(s). Any position with a lot of changing colors per scan line is a potential candidate.

First guess I thought it was Far Side.

Where that line is seems to coincide where the letters aren't very thick. I reckon if you thickened the letters and reduced other detail on those lines a bit it would fix it. Though the dither is a big part of that other detail and is added by the program.

Far side left is part of the issue too but I only mentioned the two most visible positions.

The "ZOO" letters... yes, they aren't very thick but the introduced disturbing line appeared just above that problematic area. I guess I'll have to live with it. It's not like I can improve the code myself to let it do a better job... by far...