IGNORED

What are you playing on 3DS?

Nearly all of the Sega 3D classics are always in some sort of rotation on my 3DS.

And now some of them are coming out on a cart @_@

I'm not sure if I need it or not...some of the games on it, like Power Drift, are exclusive.

Oh I forgot.. also playing Pokemon Picross. Seems ok for a freemium.

You must not be very far yet. It very quickly turns into "You must do training exercises once a day for three weeks before you can have enough picrites to progress further." >_<

And as a Picross game, it's way too easy to consider paying money for.

Picross is the "nice" kind of freemium. It's free to start, but you can unlock the whole thing for thirty bucks, then it's a traditional paid game. I don't mind free-to-play when there are ceilings to the greed and it's not a consumable cash grab.

It was probably designed as a full price game, then carved up to try to hook a greater audience.

Just started Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam. Similar, undeniable elements from the previous version(s), but fun game play and the humor never ceases to give me a chuckle. Especially Luigi's antics which always cause me to guffaw from time to time. Poor Luigi...delegated to comedic relief, but he's still well-loved by this guy.

The elements with Paper Mario are..........unique, and surprising in some aspects as well. I haven't spent too much time with it, but so far, so good. Not sure what's next in the series, but Nintendo might hold off until the NX is released and possibly not do another Mario & Luigi game on the 3DS.

I never considered the Fire Emblem series, which I seriously should consider. These games look great, but I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy the battle strategy aspects of the game. Maybe a demo is in order then I can decide if I want to purchase.

A few weeks back I picked up New Super Mario Bros. 2. It's a really solid NSMB game and seems to be modeled after the Wii U game that came out the same year (which isn't a bad thing). With the coin counter gimmick, the game has a heavy emphasis on finding secret stashes of coins and it's fun to see how absurd it all can get. Really fun game, I recommend checking it out if you haven't.

• Like 2

I never considered the Fire Emblem series, which I seriously should consider. These games look great, but I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy the battle strategy aspects of the game. Maybe a demo is in order then I can decide if I want to purchase.

Well if you played/liked Military Madness, Shining Force, Vandal Hearts, Advance Wars, Final Fantasy Tactics, etc... it's pretty much along the same vein. The only thing is in Fire Emblem when your guy dies, he dies. I found that annoying and would often restart just to keep them :lol:

Walmart has FE: Fates special edition up for pre-order (the one with every game on one cartridge)

https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/43uhtq/fire_emblem_fates_special_edition_available/

Problem is you need a walmart online account and CC on file. I was able to snag one after being on hold for about 10 minutes. Hopefully they don't cancel it. lol

I actually don't have a any version of the 3DS yet (Old or New, regular or XL), but I have recently been tempted to get one based on Link Between Worlds game that I JUST found out about! Looks like I have missed a ton of good games in the handheld space lately. I have a Vita that gets no play time as there is really nothing on the system that interests me...in fact, my DSi and GameBoy Pocket get more action.

Besides the Zelda game, these Fire Emblem games (which I have no experience with) look very fun. So, guys, what are your top 5 must have games for the 3DS that a newbie should start with? I enjoy platforming games besides RPGs and adventure games. Also, is Nintendo going to release the regular sized New 3DS to the US anytime soon, or do we have to rely on Animal Crossing and Pokemon bundles to get it for the foreseeable future? Thanks for your input for this 3DS newb!

Welcome to the 3DS club. :)

I heartily recommend Link Between Worlds. Great Zelda game and well worth the investment. Many new aspects are introduced, along with familiar game play. Besides that, I would recommend:

Fantasy Life-Great Action/RPG with many things to explore and do. Many classes to choose from to pursue a "life", as it were.

Super Mario 3D Land-A classic Mario in 3D. Good game play, and besides, it's Mario.

New Super Mario Bros. 2-This one is a classic, with golden coins to collect and yes, compete with other players for the most coin counts. Well worth the price and a fun Mario title.

Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam-GREAT game with the brothers and a twist: Paper Mario. Excellent Action/RPG with many humorous elements to enjoy.

There are many more I could recommend, but it would take some time and space to list them all. If you're into life simulations, get Animal Crossing: New Leaf. Even if you're not into fighting games, Smash Bros for the 3DS is a GREAT game with all the familiar Nintendo characters.

Hope this helps. the 3DS is a great portable system to own. I certainly love mine. It's the XL version, but I haven't heard that Nintendo will release the standard version anytime soon. I guess it depends on how much of a demand there is for them. Oh...it's the "new" 3DS I have, but the regular 3DS is also a good bet. There aren't many exclusives to the new 3DS yet.

the eshop on your 3DS will allow some playable demos for you to try out. Another great way to get a feel for a game before you commit to it.

Edited by wolfpaw1966

So, guys, what are your top 5 must have games for the 3DS that a newbie should start with?

Well, you've already got a DSi, so I don't really know what to recommend outside of sequels to DS games that you already like (Mario, Zelda, etc.).

Even the "hidden gems" aren't all that hidden.

There's a spiritual sequel to the Guardian Heroes series called Code of Princess.

Julian Gollop designed Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars, but it plays a bit different from X-COM.

Dillon's Rolling Western is pretty good I think, though I'm not familiar with the "tower defense" genre at all.

There's a Luigi's Mansion sequel if you liked the original.

Remakes of Dragon Quest VII and VIII are coming out "soon", and I think XI is supposed to come out at some point.

On the eShop, the Guild games are pretty awesome, sometimes they go on sale. The Sega 3D Classics are very awesome, some of them are coming out on a cart. They have Shantae.

And, of course, there's indie favorites like Cave Story, Shovel Knight, Mutant Mudds, SteamWorld, Xeodrifter, Terraria, Retro City Rampage, Binding of Isaac, VVVVVV, etc.

Also, is Nintendo going to release the regular sized New 3DS to the US anytime soon, or do we have to rely on Animal Crossing and Pokemon bundles to get it for the foreseeable future?

Probably not? No idea. I bought the Happy Home Designer bundle and gave the game away. You can buy new plates to replace the ones that come with them, if you don't like them, so the only reason to wait is either for the black model, or a non-bundle version that's maybe cheaper.

Edited by Asaki

Second the 2DS recommendation from Austin. I would have gotten one of these, but I'm too much of a wet noodle and bowed down to my local Gamestop's "suggestion" to get the 3DS XL ("new variety"). I am such a sucker. :( If I would have gotten one of these instead, I could have had a built-in game, and plenty of money to buy a few more instead of just two. SIGH.

But yeah, if you don't care about the 3D aspects, then the 2DS will do just fine and still play all the great games the regular 3DS can play.

That's true. I thought it would be larger when I first saw it, but still...comparing the two, I prefer my XL. Previously I had a regular 3DS that was fine, but it was a world of difference when I went to the 3DS XL. This last time I went with the red one, as I like the color. It's too bad they don't have faceplates for it, though.

Is Nintendo ever going to offer the regular 3DS without a pack-in game?

Recently playing DOOM =o

Well he said he has big hands, and the one thing about the 2DS is.. it's small.

I've heard the 2DS is very comfortable, though. I've never held one myself, I find the XL much less comfortable than the New3DS because it weighs so much more, and I have to grip it more securely while I recline to keep it from smacking me in the face.

I think the only thing that would make it more comfortable for big hands would be to make it thicker, like the original DS. Maybe something like one of those Nerf protectors might help?

Edited by Asaki

I've heard the 2DS is very comfortable, though. I've never held one myself,

Well.. time to hold a 2DS and tell us what you think. :) I've held one and was personally a little surprised how small the screens looked. Although, I guess it's about the same as the launch 3DS

I find the XL much less comfortable than the New3DS because it weighs so much more, and I have to grip it more securely while I recline to keep it from smacking me in the face.

I hate these stupid Nintendo names.. but in the states isn't the only "NEW 3DS" model the XL version?

Take into consideration the New 3ds has a faster processor that gives it faster loading times and better browsing through the System. The older 3DS is quite sluggish in getting in and out of games.

There's also the couple extra Buttons, but I guess Overall those didin't get all that much use.

Oh,, and the near field Thing for amiibos if you're into that...

I'm finding I use the Amiibo functionality more with Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, just to get the battle cards. I was, at the beginning, "meh" about the whole Amiibo thing, but with the 3DS XL, I use it more. Now I want to get Bowswer and Toad to add MORE battle cards to my game. They also seem to be using it "better" than when it first came out....if that makes any sense.

Since I'm pretty limited on games at the moment (probably forever), I can buy one game a month, so I have to be extra thoughtful as to what I purchase. March is coming along, so it's coming up on decision time for another game. Seriously considering a Pokemon game, but not sure about the new Mystery Dungeon game.

Anyone playing that?