IGNORED

The Ultimate PC Interface is available for Intellivision

Rev

• 2 weeks later...

Dave said from the outset that he was only going to do an inital limited run and then gauge interest before a second run.

Yes, but now he wants to increase the price.

-dZ.

Again from the Intellivision.us site (this is from the forum)

"Re: Ultimate Intellivision PC Interface

icon_post_target.gifby Pingaso » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:10 pm

It will be first offered at a discounted price to those that showed interest. I will then evaluate the demand. PC interfaces are generally not that popular as a lot of people are more into the console"

So the initial run was always going to have been at a reduced price. I don't know how much it would cost to produce such a unit, so I don't know if the increase is justified (or even what the increase is).

I tried but whenever I tell jzintv to use the keyboard hack file it immediately exits.

obviously something is wrong with the file but since I get absolutely no error message it's kind of difficult to figure out what it doesn't like...

jzIntv does not like using Windows long file names for the hackfile. Instead of using something like "C:\Program Files\jzintv\hackfile.cfg", you will want to use just "hackfile.cfg". The website has been updated with this information.

http://www.intellivision.us/intvgames/interface/interface.php

I still can't figure out how to configure the hackfile.

The emulator doesn't just immediately exit anymore, but the keys don't work right.

also jzintv doesn't seem to like most of my game roms. Most games just crash.

everything works fine in Nostalgia, but of course it doesn't seem to support all 16 directions of the intellivision controller.

Overall I think jzintv is a piece of crap.

YMMV...

I still can't figure out how to configure the hackfile.

The emulator doesn't just immediately exit anymore, but the keys don't work right.

also jzintv doesn't seem to like most of my game roms. Most games just crash.

everything works fine in Nostalgia, but of course it doesn't seem to support all 16 directions of the intellivision controller.

Overall I think jzintv is a piece of crap.

YMMV...

jzIntv is primary programmer's emulator. As such, it does an excellent job, with a debugger, and developing tools and functions.

It's also intended to emulate the hardware as closely as possible, in order to test and debug games. I personally haven't had any problems with any of my ROMs executing under jzIntv.

That said, it does not provide a graphical user interface, and the commandline interface may seem a bit terse and intimidating to some people.

Can you post how you have jzIntv configured? Also can you provide some information as to the problems that you're having with some games? I'll see if I can be of any help.

dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

What roms work with jzintv?

Obviously it is much more picky about the roms than other emulators are. Most roms that work fine in other emulators don't work at all in jzintv.

Now that I've actually found a few that do work I'm making some progress configuring it.

But where can I get a rom collection that all the roms do work in jzintv?

What roms work with jzintv?

Obviously it is much more picky about the roms than other emulators are. Most roms that work fine in other emulators don't work at all in jzintv.

Now that I've actually found a few that do work I'm making some progress configuring it.

But where can I get a rom collection that all the roms do work in jzintv?

As far as I know, it works with all. Which ones are you having trouble with?

BurgerTime does work fine

Diner does not work

Demon attack does not work

etc.

I would say 75 % of my roms that run fine in my other emulators do not work in jzintv. The window just turns totally black, or totally pink then after a minute or 2 the emulator crashes out.

Edited by rxd

Dragon Fire does work

Dig Dug does not work.

Again these are all roms that work fine in Nostalgia, Bliss and Mess

All the work for me. Can you tell me if they are "ROM" or "BIN" format? It's OK if you don't know, you may be able to tell by the file name extension: ".rom", ".bin", etc.

By the way, I have a cole of questions in order to be able to help you:

1. Are your using Windows, Macintosh, or Linux?

2. How have you configured jzIntv?

3. How are your executing it?

4. When you say "they don't work," what exactly do you mean: do the games crash, or do they not even run at all? Do you get an error message?

jzIntv can be very intimidating, but trust me when I tell you that the emulation itself, is one of the most accurate ones. However, this is so, because it is intended for programmers to test and debug their games. This is the reason that it allows these "hack files" and has other advanced features. It is also open source, though it is currently being maintained by a single person.

dZ.

All the work for me. Can you tell me if they are "ROM" or "BIN" format? It's OK if you don't know, you may be able to tell by the file name extension: ".rom", ".bin", etc.

4. When you say "they don't work," what exactly do you mean: do the games crash, or do they not even run at all? Do you get an error message?

jzIntv can be very intimidating, but trust me when I tell you that the emulation itself, is one of the most accurate ones. However, this is so, because it is intended for programmers to test and debug their games. This is the reason that it allows these "hack files" and has other advanced features. It is also open source, though it is currently being maintained by a single person.

dZ.

I was working on setting up jzintv when trying to work with the UPCI and I also had a lot of problems getting roms to work, most times it would launch, immediately close back to the gui. I assumed a lot of it was probably just a problem with versions of roms 'mismatched' with a particular version of jz that i was trying to work with. most of the rom's that i was trying were the .bin(s) off of Lives and the .itv(?) format files off Rocks. Didn't think there was anything inherently wrong, just figured i'd need to do more tweeking at some point to figure if i'd gotten the right roms, version of exec and grom, and the settings in the emu. most homebrew roms that were grabbed directly from places seemed to work fine.

gavv

dZ.

I was working on setting up jzintv when trying to work with the UPCI and I also had a lot of problems getting roms to work, most times it would launch, immediately close back to the gui. I assumed a lot of it was probably just a problem with versions of roms 'mismatched' with a particular version of jz that i was trying to work with. most of the rom's that i was trying were the .bin(s) off of Lives and the .itv(?) format files off Rocks. Didn't think there was anything inherently wrong, just figured i'd need to do more tweeking at some point to figure if i'd gotten the right roms, version of exec and grom, and the settings in the emu. most homebrew roms that were grabbed directly from places seemed to work fine.

gavv

This is exactly what is happening to me. And that is also what I "figured" myself, thus why I asked where people are getting their roms from.

The roms I have are from who knows how long ago. I literally have no idea when I got them, it was probably 8+ years ago.But they work fine in every emulator I tried them in, Bliss, Nostalgia and Mess. Just tested them again.

And like you I am using the gui frontend for jzintv, and I'm having the exact same issue. Is it the gui? Is it the emulator? Is it the roms? Is it the config? jzintv craps out with no message whatsoever...

FWIW I'm using Windows 7 64 bit

I didn't really configure anything in jzintv other than tell the gui where my roms are, where my grom, exec and ecs are, and what hackfile to use. It acutally seems that I might have figured out the hackfile issues for 1 controller but the emulator still crashes on most roms whether I use the hackfile or not. On the roms that do work, the controller is now mapped correctly.

And like I said I am executing the emulator from the gi frontend.

When I say the roms don't work I mean they don't work at all. Black or pink screen, nothing of the rom screen ever shows up it just crashes out in a few seconds back to the gui. The roms that do work work perfectly...

Edited by rxd

gavv

It could be an incompatibility with the version of the emulator, or it could be a faulty EXEC.rom/GROM.rom.

The version of these files that comes with jzIntv are minimalist, in order not to violate intellectual property rights.

What you can do is, get the ones from the CD ROM collections and replace the ones that came with the emulator.

dZ.