IGNORED

Breaking news! Mars rover has jag powa!

GroovyBee

Loved it, but then I love anything to do with Mars. So after a long time away from tinkering with the Jag (busy overseas) I set up my Jag and Skunkboard to check out this awesome mix of the Jaguar and Mars. That was really great.

Thanks for the compliments.

Now that you have the generator for mountains, make Rescue on Fractilus (Or Behind Jaggy Lines) for the Jaguar. :)

Its certainly possible to do that style of game on the jag. I did briefly look at real time terrain generation e.g. infinite landscapes in all directions and not the limited data set the demo works with (once computed). That would be the best way to tackle a RoF style game otherwise it'd pretty much be a CD based game with all the data needed to make interesting and varied terrains.

If anything an AMOK style game would be more up my street if I was to do anything more with the engine. I've no plans for anything beyond this at the moment.

I am truly impressed

Thanks for the compliment.

I'm currently making some optimisations to the code so that the landscape data generating time will come down.

Now we are talking Mark!

SPEED!

Now let me throw a starfeild and moon in there...... :D

• Like 1

You know what you are doing to me when you say things like "You could certainly do"....? Don't cha?

You should know by now to just ignore me...not egg me on....I can't stop Mark!

:lol: But from my point of view it just becomes a blitter copy from a bitmap to the back buffer instead of a blitter zero fill to the back buffer. Its only a few lines of code to change. As long as the bitmap is held in RAM then the performance shouldn't suffer too much. Having said that some experimentation would be required and it it was a problem it could be enabled/disabled from the key pad.

4 days ago I was impressed when the first 'proof of concept' build arrived, even though it was very slow and wasn't using the Jaguar's strengths to any great lengths, it was still hard to believe this was written by someone who hadn't programmed the Jaguar until a few weeks earlier. To see it come along so quickly and improve so visibly from build to build was really enjoyable and I just want to say thanks for being allowed to witness that ;-)

We're lucky to have Mark coding for the Jaguar, what with all his other interests such as 7800/Inty/etc. It only bodes well for future releases from him (and having seen some things he's working on, we're all in for some real treats!)

Here's the latest build (V2) in ghettocam form running on my PAL/60 Jaguar, just made for the sake of it. Great work. Myth busted!

• Like 2

4 days ago I was impressed when the first 'proof of concept' build arrived, even though it was very slow and wasn't using the Jaguar's strengths to any great lengths, it was still hard to believe this was written by someone who hadn't programmed the Jaguar until a few weeks earlier. To see it come along so quickly and improve so visibly from build to build was really enjoyable and I just want to say thanks for being allowed to witness that ;-)

Wow! Thanks for the huge compliment. Many thanks for all the testing along the way too. In code terms the biggest speed improvement (after moving the display rendering code to the GPU) was in correctly guessing what they did in phase zero :lol:.

We're lucky to have Mark coding for the Jaguar, what with all his other interests such as 7800/Inty/etc. It only bodes well for future releases from him (and having seen some things he's working on, we're all in for some real treats!)

The jag is a ton of fun to code on. So much so that I might actually get a Skunk instead of coding and testing everything on the Virtual Jaguar (VJ) emulator :o. That's a huge testament to the quality of VJ too. Many thanks to Shamus and team for that. Sure, its not perfect (what emulator is) but it makes development life much easier and is in active development so maybe some day it'll get close.

Here's the latest build (V2) in ghettocam form running on my PAL/60 Jaguar, just made for the sake of it. Great work. Myth busted!

:cool: Thanks for that. I like the green palette too. The jag is good at green. Hmmmm... a bit like the PAL 7800 in that respect :lol:.

• Like 3

This is awesome!

Thanks for the compliment.

I remember voxel technology, was amazing by the time but was shadowed by texturized poligons.

You can create lot of good games with this, with a river, you can make a 3d version of river raid, or this can be a fancy background for a Fzero like racing game.

Yep! Voxels are interesting to play with. The demo came about after one of my "I wonder if the jag can do ....." thoughts. It'd need quite a bit of work to make a good game from this engine tho.

• Like 1

I can think of a bunch of uses for a landscape engine like this, or Phase Zero's. Like an off-road racer (SUV/cycle/snowmobile), or an open battle field FPS Halo-jr.. Maybe an action/adventure/RPG like Robinson's Requiem or yet another hover-slightly-above-the-surface shooter ala Cyber/Battlemorph-Hoverstrike-Phase Zero-Aircars.

I can think of a bunch of uses for a landscape engine like this, or Phase Zero's. Like an off-road racer (SUV/cycle/snowmobile), or an open battle field FPS Halo-jr.. Maybe an action/adventure/RPG like Robinson's Requiem or yet another hover-slightly-above-the-surface shooter ala Cyber/Battlemorph-Hoverstrike-Phase Zero-Aircars.

Yep! All good ideas (well... maybe not aircars :P) but as I've said this is as far as I'm taking the project at the moment.

• Like 1