IGNORED

Atari Flashback 4 Review

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone having trouble with Battlezone on this?

On the Flashback 3, things sometimes didn't appear on my radar but otherwise it seemed fine. But here, I'm experiencing far more significant issues (And the radar still isn't dependable; I'd estimate that only about 75% of the enemies actually show on the radar)

In one incident, my tank exploded for no reason and the screen that's displayed when your tank explodes just stayed there.

And later on, the game acted like a 2600 game would if it had been fried after I had lost my last tank. Without pressing a button, the game started to continue. After realizing that I wasn't just seeing the attract mode kicking in, I was able to control the game, my score continued from where it had left off, the mountain graphics were screwed up, and as best as I could tell, I had infinite lifes.

While hardly a problem for me with plenty of options to play the game including the original cartridge on original hardware, it's ashame to see one of the best non-licensed 1st party efforts from Atari having such issues that shouldn't be there.

Edited by Atariboy

Is anyone having trouble with Battlezone on this?

On the Flashback 3, things sometimes didn't appear on my radar but otherwise it seemed fine. But here, I'm experiencing far more significant issues (And the radar still isn't dependable; I'd estimate that only about 75% of the enemies actually show on the radar)

In one incident, my tank exploded for no reason and the screen that's displayed when your tank explodes just stayed there.

And later on, the game acted like a 2600 game would if it had been fried after I had lost my last tank. Without pressing a button, the game started to continue. After realizing that I wasn't just seeing the attract mode kicking in, I was able to control the game, my score continued from where it had left off, the mountain graphics were screwed up, and as best as I could tell, I had infinite lifes.

While hardly a problem for me with plenty of options to play the game including the original cartridge on original hardware, it's ashame to see one of the best non-licensed 1st party efforts from Atari having such issues that shouldn't be there.

Unfortunately, it's one of many issues with their emulation. They did some work on it since the 3, which is probably what caused the changes in the 4.

Obviously it's emulation issues. It doesn't seem likely that I'm experiencing problem's due to a defective unit, particularly since I'm able to play other game's just fine without such severe problems (Although if anyone thinks I am, let me know since it's not too late to return this for a replacement).

I'm more interested in if other people are as routinely experiencing issues with Battlezone as I've been (And if they are, what types of strange effects they've noticed) and if anyone else is noticing other game's that are all but crippled by the less then perfect emulation (Not the more minor quibbles like the screwed up audio in Asteroids that doesn't affect their playability).

Edited by Atariboy

I posted this on my Status Update, but just in case anyone is interested, I was at Rite Aid near where I work today and they had a bunch of Flashbacks on sale.

They were $9.99 each.

I noticed they had a bunch of 3's and one Flashback 4 behind the counter.

The sale card said Flashback 3 and 4 - $9.99.

I got 1 of each and they rang up at $9.99 each.

I saw some more up front as I walked out..

I think almost all of them were Flashback 3's...

I also noticed when I opened my Flashback 4 when I got home (it did have the circular clear tape holding it closed, as did the Flashback 3) that none of the components were wrapped in plastic.

Each of the Flashback 3 components were wrapped in plastic.

Not sure if that (and the fact that it was the only 4 I remember seeing) means it was a return or refurb or ???

But I plugged it in and it works..

Wireless joystick works too....

Not sure if it's several RiteAid stores selling them out or just the one near my work, but just thought I'd mention it..

I played a few games and it seems OK at first glance...

Now, I have a 7800 with a CC2, so this won't supplant that.. But should be nice for the other TVs.

As for the Flashback 3, I basically got that for the controllers. I actually don't have any Atari controllers in that style.

desiv

I also noticed when I opened my Flashback 4 when I got home (it did have the circular clear tape holding it closed, as did the Flashback 3) that none of the components were wrapped in plastic.

Just watched an "unboxing" vid on youtube, and that guy's Flashback 4 didn't have any of the pieces wrapped in plastic, so I'm guessing I was wrong thinking that might have meant it was a return.

This thing was probably new..

desiv

I still prefer my 7800 (especially now that I've modded him for composite), but I have to admit, these are very easy to use and the wireless joysticks are better than I thought they would be....

To expand on that...

I was reading some reviews here just now of the FB4 and specifically the wireless joysticks...

They made them sound horrible. The make it sound like it has to be perfect direct line of sight and if you waver ever so slightly, you lose the connection...

I'm confused.. Either something was up with their controllers, I got lucky, or they've improved them...

I haven't had that with mine..

My flashback is off to the side of my TV.. I'm constantly aiming the controller AT the TV, so I'm aiming about 4 feet to the right of the FB console, and it works fine.... Weird..

I'm not sure if I can smooth out the poster enough to make it presentable for wall mounting, but it looks nice too...

I'm glad tho that they left in the wired controller option in the 4. I could easily see them getting rid of that with the wireless controllers to save money, but keeping them was the right call..

I have to get a set of my paddles out and try them on the 4.

Still don't think I'd ever pay $30 or more for one of these (especially since I have the 7800), but I just couldn't resist for that price..

desiv

Edited by desiv

It's true that by the fourth time, the luster has worn off these. However, these are still great for the casual fan/shopper.

Infrared is not ideal, but there's also no noticeable lag, plus there's always the option to use wired controllers, so there's no real downside.

I haven't had the chance to post the review yet, but you'll be blown away by what AtGames did with the Sega console and handheld. They're both near perfect and dirt cheap.

Bill why are there TWO kinds 75 games and 76 WTF is the deal with that

Bill why are there TWO kinds 75 games and 76 WTF is the deal with that

As far as I know/recall it was a special version commissioned for Bed, Bath & Beyond. The extra game is not a show stopper either way (or at least I can't imagine it being one). There are actually three distinct versions of the Flashback 4 that I'm aware of at the moment: the standard one with the 75 games, the BBB special with 76 games, and the deluxe with the 75 games and the set of paddles. I was not informed of the latter until I saw it in the stores and was not permitted to speak of the BBB one.

The BBB console bonus game is Millipede.

That is one of my top favorite 2600 games I keep going back to again and again.

Millipede is in my flashback 2+, (but it can't play the real Millipede cartridge - Superchip RAM).

I wonder why it was left out and why Bed Bath and Beyond wanted a version with a bonus game?

We can only speculate. They didn't give me any details other than who with and what the bonus game was going to be. It's better to have a game than not, of course, especially a good one, but since Centipede is on there, it's not a major loss in my opinion. Also, unless you caught a sale, it's my understanding that the BBB offering averaged rather more than the best deals out there.

I posted this on my Status Update, but just in case anyone is interested, I was at Rite Aid near where I work today and they had a bunch of Flashbacks on sale.

They were $9.99 each.

I noticed they had a bunch of 3's and one Flashback 4 behind the counter.

The sale card said Flashback 3 and 4 - $9.99.

I got 1 of each and they rang up at $9.99 each.

I saw some more up front as I walked out..

I think almost all of them were Flashback 3's...

Not sure if that (and the fact that it was the only 4 I remember seeing) means it was a return or refurb or ???

But I plugged it in and it works..

Wireless joystick works too....

Not sure if it's several RiteAid stores selling them out or just the one near my work, but just thought I'd mention it..

I played a few games and it seems OK at first glance...

Now, I have a 7800 with a CC2, so this won't supplant that.. But should be nice for the other TVs.

As for the Flashback 3, I basically got that for the controllers. I actually don't have any Atari controllers in that style.

desiv

Confirmed, I managed to snag the last 3 out of 13 stores on the eastside Seattle area. 9.99 is a good deal regardless of the small issues.

Edited by Shinju

So I was at CES earlier this week, and representatives from AtGames were there. I talked briefly with them; they seemed like nice enough folks who see some value in the older games market.

Don't kid yourself the MOST evil corrupt company they lie and cheat, I had serveral broken systems for business they never responded, MY distributor EMAILED them 10 times a YEAR ago no response, they take ur money and run warranties don't work because it will NEVER be replaced or fixed...... I was warned about atgames

For the record, I've had no issues dealing directly with the company, though I've mostly only dealt with the corporate/management side. They seem professional to me and to genuinely care about improving their products within market constraints, though I've not had to deal with them directly as a consumer.

For the record, I've had no issues dealing directly with the company, though I've mostly only dealt with the corporate/management side. They seem professional to me and to genuinely care about improving their products within market constraints, though I've not had to deal with them directly as a consumer.

Good get the Ass..... from corp to contact me I had three broken systems they have not responded its been 6 weeks a BIG Kroger company told me its been over a YEAR give me a CORP number thanks