IGNORED

ABBUC Software Contest 2012 - Status

skr

Hi Mathy.

ABBUC receives for all registered software the rights of first publication. The copyright remains with

the author who might use his software freely after the end of the contest.

(ABBUC Software Contest 2012 rules)

It's clear that ABBUC has the right of first publication, not authors neither ABBUC's members.

As I didn't participated in the contest, I hadn't read the rules. And I don't think that the rules of a contest, in which I'm not participated in, applies to me...

nothing!!

Unfortunately Caterpillar is pretty much unplayable :(

Two of us had a go on an 800XL using paddles - the movement is way too slow in responding making game time a couple of seconds and very frustrating. (also the game should allow using fire to start/restart as some of us have an Atari under their TV; could do with using a 4 colour mode for 4 players). Hopefully the author will be making an improved version as it's a really good idea for a game :)

Hi therealbountybob!

I'm the programmer of this game and yes, after the contest there will be a new version - just give me some time. At the moment I'm "collecting" ideas for an updated version. The fire restart is a good idea, thanks.

A hint for the steering:

The steering is not easy and depends on the fact, that the players at least don't know, in which position the paddle really is. So you have a small range for left, a big range for straight forward and a small range for right. You can test it on the "adjust" screen. When you get used to it, it will be more fun. :)

The steering was one of the trickiest parts, and has really something to do with the resolution of the graphics mode. The curves had to look like curves, and for this every "step" of an caterpillar means plotting 9 pixels. Otherwise it would look like a blocky surround. There are 4 colors, but one is the background. ;)

By now, I'm thinking about an other way of steering the caterpillars, maybe as an second option for players.

At least it's best to play it with 2 or 3 players.

Thanks for testing the game :thumbsup: , Holger

Hi Holger,

thanks for responding - I really wanted to like your game so I really hope you can improve the control/response :) perhaps if you tried an option without the smooth curves so it turned more quickly the player could avoid the walls more easily... I liked the title screen tune too. Have a go on Killer Cycle (joystick 1-4 players) to see how much fun this sort of game can be.

Did you have any comments on the Prize money being an incentive for you. Have you written any other programs?

Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Hi therealbountybob!

I'm the programmer of this game and yes, after the contest there will be a new version - just give me some time. At the moment I'm "collecting" ideas for an updated version. The fire restart is a good idea, thanks.

A hint for the steering:

The steering is not easy and depends on the fact, that the players at least don't know, in which position the paddle really is. So you have a small range for left, a big range for straight forward and a small range for right. You can test it on the "adjust" screen. When you get used to it, it will be more fun. :)

The steering was one of the trickiest parts, and has really something to do with the resolution of the graphics mode. The curves had to look like curves, and for this every "step" of an caterpillar means plotting 9 pixels. Otherwise it would look like a blocky surround. There are 4 colors, but one is the background. ;)

By now, I'm thinking about an other way of steering the caterpillars, maybe as an second option for players.

At least it's best to play it with 2 or 3 players.

Thanks for testing the game :thumbsup: , Holger

Esslingen? I am from Filderstadt...

• Like 1

Did you have any comments on the Prize money being an incentive for you. Have you written any other programs?

Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Hi,

the prize money is not the reason why I made this game, it was programmed just for the fun.

This is the first "serious program" I wrote. The other programs back in the 80s were not really good or playable, and in the last few years I just wrote some programs for myself (A label printing program and a special database viewer), not for the public.

In the future I will program some more gamestuff.

...Holger

• Like 1