IGNORED

Super Mario 2600 Entire World 1 Demo!

Sprybug

I'm curious to know, with the "midnight blue" screenshots, is there much bleed on the edge of the color areas? On my CRT TVs, most of the time with solid colored areas, there's about a pixel-width worth of chromiance bleed with some games that have large solid colored areas. I stripped out the old stock RCA cable on my Atari and replaced it with 100% coax for optimum picture quality, but there is still a small amount of bleed on the righthand edge of vertical color borders due to the Atari's lack of a pre-emphasis filter.

In addition to "midnight blue" background for the overworld levels, it would be neat to add red "lava" by changing the background near the bottom edge of the castle playfield to red. The yellow status bars and white six-digit scoreboard should still be highly visible, and it would give the illusion of lava-filled pits in the castle areas. If there are enough spare CPU cycles left during one of the H-blanks close to the bottom of the playfield and above the top of the status bar area, it would add a tiny bit of realism to the castle areas. Half a block below the lowest floor would be ideal. You would have to reset the background color to black during the V-blank period. Just a thought; the lava effect would make you castle stages cooler (or very, very HOT!).

Feel free to send me test files as well so I can photo the TV screen.

Well, I beat Bowser Jr again tonight. I managed to get to him with the Fire suit, and if you try to spam him with fireballs, he uses his shell to block them wtf? I screwed up and beat him as small Mario on my next life. Really needs some kind of outtro/ending, but so far World 1 is really great. I hope you decide to use the blue background with the overworld theme. Again, like I said in my previous posts, if there's any room left in the ROM, I hope you can add a lava red background beneath the floor in the Castles.

Well, I beat Bowser Jr again tonight. I managed to get to him with the Fire suit, and if you try to spam him with fireballs, he uses his shell to block them wtf? I screwed up and beat him as small Mario on my next life. Really needs some kind of outtro/ending, but so far World 1 is really great. I hope you decide to use the blue background with the overworld theme. Again, like I said in my previous posts, if there's any room left in the ROM, I hope you can add a lava red background beneath the floor in the Castles.

No more ROM for an extended outro, so what you get is what you get. Bowser Jr. getting up, crashing through the wall in his turtle shell and Mario following, which I thought would be enough for an outro which has some continuity from how he got from x-4 to x-1. May not have anymore ROM left to add that extra touch in the castle, but I can look into it.

• Like 1

No more ROM for an extended outro, so what you get is what you get. Bowser Jr. getting up, crashing through the wall in his turtle shell and Mario following, which I thought would be enough for an outro which has some continuity from how he got from x-4 to x-1. May not have anymore ROM left to add that extra touch in the castle, but I can look into it.

What I really meant was that final ending of the game (stage 4-4) needs a Peach scene, even if it's just a static game screen screen with Peach and Mario and "The End" on it: Bowser Jr and Mario exiting stage right is definitely sufficient for unlocking say world 2-1. It must be frustrating with all the strict hardware, memory, and CPU timing limitations of the VCS, but the fact that you've got working demos of world's 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, and 1-4 is nothing short of a miracle. I hope you don't mine my suggestions; I've got a good idea of what the hardware is capable of, but I know nothing about the actual programming aspect. Since the game is in the beta stages right now, if I can imagine a feature that would be neat to have in the game and is at least plausible on real hardware, I'll suggest it as creative inspiration, take for example the twin Goombas which you did put to good use. I know it's impossible to implement everything; but I'm only trying to provide creative input/feedback. Don't worry about hurting anyone's feelings if I or someone else suggest something that seems impossible.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you can't stand in the way of progress! Here's a sneak peak at World 2! Sprybug hasn't publicly released this ROM yet, so please don't PM me asking for it. And this should go without saying, SPOILER ALERT! If you want to discover world 2 for yourself when the game is officially released, please don't watch. Otherwise, enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZubRuiqlXw

My appologies for swearing; I tend to do that a lot while playing games. :ponder:

I was playing again and noticed 999999 points won't be enough!

Maybe you'll need to give less points for things if you can't have a larger score.

No way dude! I've play tested this hundreds of times already and have never gotten to 200,000. I've gotten all the way to 4-2 before having to continue and even then I didn't quite reach 200,000. Speaking of play testing, I'm going to need some play testers to spot any bugs I might have missed. Anyone interested?

• Like 1

Okay, I'm going to throw this one out to you guys. I've been debating this to myself. Should the 2nd quest be selectable by the player? When you beat the game, you can play the 2nd quest, which are the same levels, but harder. I've gone back and forth on making this option selectable by using the select switch at the beginning of the game. However I see the 2nd quest as being kind of a gift for those that beat the game. Having it be an option to start with would kind of defeat that purpose. What do you guys think?

• Like 1

Loving the design of the game so far! My brother and I have been taking turns learning the controls on my keyboard. I have only made it to Bowser, Jr once so far. However, my scores will probably improve if I had a Harmony cart and used a joystick. Hmm. :ponder: :)

Re: the 2nd quest: Do you mean it would be the same worlds, only more difficult? Or, would the 2nd quest include different enemies to fight and maybe some secret coin rooms to find?

If it is the latter, I would say keep it as a "reward" for completing the 1st quest. The difficulty change could be a game variation for experienced players, if you have enough space in the ROM to implement it, that is.

Similar to Miner 2049er, Worlds 5 - 8 could be sold on a new cart as "Volume 2" or something (If you are not able to fit it all on one cart).

Just my 2 cents. 8)

No way dude! I've play tested this hundreds of times already and have never gotten to 200,000. I've gotten all the way to 4-2 before having to continue and even then I didn't quite reach 200,000. Speaking of play testing, I'm going to need some play testers to spot any bugs I might have missed. Anyone interested?

I was totally wrong, sorry. I finished world 1 again and you're right 999999 are enough.

And I'm interested in beta testing. I can search for bugs using my harmony cart or stella.

In my opinion, it's better to let the secon quest be a real second quest! Only avaible after finishing the game.

Loving the design of the game so far! My brother and I have been taking turns learning the controls on my keyboard. I have only made it to Bowser, Jr once so far. However, my scores will probably improve if I had a Harmony cart and used a joystick. Hmm. :ponder: :)

Re: the 2nd quest: Do you mean it would be the same worlds, only more difficult? Or, would the 2nd quest include different enemies to fight and maybe some secret coin rooms to find?

If it is the latter, I would say keep it as a "reward" for completing the 1st quest. The difficulty change could be a game variation for experienced players, if you have enough space in the ROM to implement it, that is.

Similar to Miner 2049er, Worlds 5 - 8 could be sold on a new cart as "Volume 2" or something (If you are not able to fit it all on one cart).

Just my 2 cents. 8)

The 2nd quest are the same levels except the goombas turn into beetles, most of the enemies move twice as fast, the green koopa is sometimes replaced by a red koopa, and the moving platforms are half the size.

• Like 1

Okay, I'm going to throw this one out to you guys. I've been debating this to myself. Should the 2nd quest be selectable by the player? When you beat the game, you can play the 2nd quest, which are the same levels, but harder. I've gone back and forth on making this option selectable by using the select switch at the beginning of the game. However I see the 2nd quest as being kind of a gift for those that beat the game. Having it be an option to start with would kind of defeat that purpose. What do you guys think?

If you plan on releasing this to the AtariAge store, I believe "hard mode" should be a privilege for those who buy the cart. Meaning the public demo ROM should be released without hard mode. I also think it would be fitting to rescue Toad instead of Peach at the end of 4-4 (simple graphic hack will do) for the demo ROM only, but keep Peach in the cart version.

Personally, I never thought that "hard" mode was really necessary in Super Mario Brothers, as it always felt a little tacked on in the original game. I usually just quit playing after I saved Peach, although I did once restart on World 8 hard mode, and somehow beat the second quest without dying. That said, I think a difficulty mode select would be a nice gesture, but it's wholly up to you whether you enable "hard mode" at the start. Megaman had "Hard Mode" available at the start, although the normal difficulty was punishing enough. In Castlevania, you had to earn it. Also, while play testing "Princess Rescue", I find myself leaving the Atari running for a long duration of time at the game over screen, just so I can resume on world 2 or higher without replaying world 1. I still haven't beaten world 2 yet, although I haven't played it a lot. The original NES game had warp zones to at least give the option of skipping ahead, although I typically found it more fun to play strait through. I'm going to say that if you decide to program it so you have to rescue the princess at least once to enable "hard mode", you should enable the player to start on any level up to 4-1. just like the original NES game used the "B" button to select a world whenever hard mode was activated. I really feel like doing so would stay faithful to the original game.

On the 2nd quest, I think you should stick with the original design and give it to players after winning. Of course, i can't begin to understand your motives, but I see proof that the 2600 could have hosted a home port of Super Mario Bros when it hit arcades. It wouldn't have mattered, but it would have been big.

Also, I seem to be able to outrun a shell after kicking it and killing myself.

On the 2nd quest, I think you should stick with the original design and give it to players after winning. Of course, i can't begin to understand your motives, but I see proof that the 2600 could have hosted a home port of Super Mario Bros when it hit arcades. It wouldn't have mattered, but it would have been big.

Also, I seem to be able to outrun a shell after kicking it and killing myself.

This is good feedback everyone, thanks. As for the koopa shell. Can't be outrun, however it can kill you if you kick it in the wrong direction. The kick goes in the direction you are facing and not what side you are on. I did this because when I tried it the more logical way of being whatever side you were on, I had more issues of it killing you on the kick and couldn't debug it.

• Like 1

This is good feedback everyone, thanks. As for the koopa shell. Can't be outrun, however it can kill you if you kick it in the wrong direction. The kick goes in the direction you are facing and not what side you are on. I did this because when I tried it the more logical way of being whatever side you were on, I had more issues of it killing you on the kick and couldn't debug it.

I see you have an invincibility flag. How about using it to solve the issue?

Obviously, there will be no enemies on screen when you kick the shell (tmnt pun not intended)

This leaves the problem of flipping that bit back, but that could be done when the shell hits something other than the player.

Just a suggestion.

Any progress finding some cycles to hold things steady when the shell is kicked or is the slowdown unavoidable?

Edited by orange808

I see you have an invincibility flag. How about using it to solve the issue?

Obviously, there will be no enemies on screen when you kick the shell (tmnt pun not intended)

This leaves the problem of flipping that bit back, but that could be done when the shell hits something other than the player.

Just a suggestion.

Any progress finding some cycles to hold things steady when the shell is kicked or is the slowdown unavoidable?

That's a good idea. didn't think about trying something like that. The bit can be reset as soon as soon as the shell is no longer touching Mario, which is what causes him to get hit by it through standard colission detection. The one thing I'd have to work around is setting it for that moment and not set as him being invincible because he just powered down. There's really no check for that but I'll see what I can do. As for my cycle time it is spent. I tried adding a few lines to fix the top row color with a few if statements in the rendering screen part of my routine and adding those simple things caused me to go over my count. I am at my limit unfortunately.

• Like 1

Hello Sprybug,

First I wanna thank your for this absolutely great game... I love it! :grin:

Superb Mario for the Atari. It is a pleasure to play this game with all the nostalgic elements of the Nintendo version! :thumbsup:

I have played the entire world 1 a lot of times but it is very hard even the speed of Mario after jumping and landing on small platforms is too fast and frantic. In World 1-2 I often died at the end of the first part (the 4 small platforms with the flower... at this part I have sweared many times)! :twisted:

Could it be possible to include a trainer function or will there be a cheat for endless life... this would be a fantastic feature! :)

Can't wait to see and buy your finished work... this will be the highlight of my Atari collection!

Greatings from Germany and have a wondeful weekend (also to all here at the forum).

Regards

Irata

Concerning the hard mode, I'm rather indifferent on the manner of implementation. I like the idea Stardust had about being able to select a world if in hard mode. I also like the idea of a person being able to access it at a later time, like with a code, but I realize that may take up resources you don't have. Using a switch like you suggested would be a good alternative, and people would have to just use the "honor system" hehe. I really wouldn't mind knowing that the hard mode is there if I flip a switch, and could choose to only flip that switch when I return to the game later, only after having beaten it in the past.

Just for fun, here's a video of the final battle and end sequence:

Princess sprite slightly altered.

http://youtu.be/W7Q8pJbdQqk

Warning: Don't watch if you don't wanna know!

BTW, I don't like the idea of "demo" roms in public and full version on a cart. I think it's bad for the homebrew community, but I won't derail this topic with all the reasons why. Those of us who buy carts have the added benefit of owning an actual cartridge that we can play on our real Ataris. That's sufficient.

• Like 1

Concerning the hard mode, I'm rather indifferent on the manner of implementation. I like the idea Stardust had about being able to select a world if in hard mode. I also like the idea of a person being able to access it at a later time, like with a code, but I realize that may take up resources you don't have. Using a switch like you suggested would be a good alternative, and people would have to just use the "honor system" hehe. I really wouldn't mind knowing that the hard mode is there if I flip a switch, and could choose to only flip that switch when I return to the game later, only after having beaten it in the past.

Just for fun, here's a video of the final battle and end sequence:

Princess sprite slightly altered.

http://youtu.be/W7Q8pJbdQqk

Warning: Don't watch if you don't wanna know!

BTW, I don't like the idea of "demo" roms in public and full version on a cart. I think it's bad for the homebrew community, but I won't derail this topic with all the reasons why. Those of us who buy carts have the added benefit of owning an actual cartridge that we can play on our real Ataris. That's sufficient.

That's really neat. When you say "Princess sprite slightly altered," did you edit the princess sprite yourself? It looks even better than the one I suggested a while ago. I wish it had the princess tune from the original super Mario Brothers, but if Sprybug is running out of ROM space like he claims, I can understand that the full tune wasn't included.
I have played the entire world 1 a lot of times but it is very hard even the speed of Mario after jumping and landing on small platforms is too fast and frantic. In World 1-2 I often died at the end of the first part (the 4 small platforms with the flower... at this part I have sweared many times)! :twisted:

I had a similar problem when playing it originally. Using a Genesis controller will help with the running mechanics. The thing is, the physics are not exactly the same as what you would expect in Super Mario Brothers. For one, a quick tap on the jump button will jump the same height as a longer press. Also, the jump trajectory is not parabolic either. Once you learn the game, and stop expecting it to respond exactly like SMB, you'll get used to the controlls, and the platforming elements will become easier. Edited by stardust4ever

That's really neat. When you say "Princess sprite slightly altered," did you edit the princess sprite yourself? It looks even better than the one I suggested a while ago.

Yes. :) and thank you. I started out trying to make it a bit more literal of a translation from SMB 2/3. Then since there are 2 sprites for the princess in the ROM, I had the idea of making her start out more sad looking and perk up once she realizes she's been rescued.

I had a similar problem when playing it originally. Using a Genesis controller will help with the running mechanics. The thing is, the physics are not exactly the same as what you would expect in Super Mario Brothers. For one, a quick tap on the jump button will jump the same height as a longer press. Also, the jump trajectory is not parabolic either. Once you learn the game, and stop expecting it to respond exactly like SMB, you'll get used to the controlls, and the platforming elements will become easier.

I second that about getting used to the physics. Although, I find using a joystick to be just as easy. However, the joystick I use is either a Slik Stik or a Starfighter (both by Suncom) and they are both much better for precise control than a standard Atari joystick. I have also been using an NES pad that I converted for Atari. I used to die in the cheapest places, like jumping to the pipes at the end of 1-2. I kept coming up short because I felt like I would over-shoot it. Finally I realized that I just needed to jump while walking normal speed and not hold back at all. It's the perfect distance for this type of jump. Getting used to the handling is everything.

post-9364-0-25517500-1349768971_thumb.jpg post-9364-0-31573300-1349768247_thumb.jpg

Speaking of controllers, a Genesis controller would be great, but I've not been able to get the C button to work with this game. Has it worked for you? I've tried a few different types: a Sega brand regular 3-button Genesis controller, a Sega six-button controller, and a 3rd party Genesis controller. The second © button hasn't worked with any of them for this game. I play on a real Atari with my Harmony cart, BTW.