IGNORED

Super Mario 2600 Entire World 1 Demo!

Sprybug

Thanks iesposta!

That explains much... it seems that these fiddly genesis controllers don't like the fact that bB grounds out the paddle caps during vblank. (it does this in case you're trying to read paddles in your kernel)

Sprybug, copy over "std_kernel.asm" from your includes directory over to your project directory. Then take this section of code (search for "VBLANK")...

LDA #%11000010
sta WSYNC
STA VBLANK

...and change it to...

LDA #%01000010 ; *change top bit to 0, so paddle caps don't discharge*
sta WSYNC
STA VBLANK

After that, rebuild your game, and it should work with all genesis controllers.

• Like 1

Sprybug, copy over "std_kernel.asm" from your includes directory over to your project directory. Then take this section of code (search for "VBLANK")...

LDA #%11000010
sta WSYNC
STA VBLANK

...and change it to...

sta WSYNC
STA VBLANK

Sprybug,

That works! I used Stella's debugger to change the Nybble and saved out a new ROM.

Now the C button works. I did my first ROM hack! (yea me!) You will change it in your source files and recompile. Ask if you need help.

_Don't forget to make multiple backups in different places._ If this only exists on one hard drive and you lose it, we will form a mob and come for you!

• Like 1

Thanks iesposta!

That explains much... it seems that these fiddly genesis controllers don't like the fact that bB grounds out the paddle caps during vblank. (it does this in case you're trying to read paddles in your kernel)

LDA #%11000010
sta WSYNC
STA VBLANK

...and change it to...

sta WSYNC
STA VBLANK

This is so bizarre because the genesis controller works fine on my real Atari 2600 without this modification. I'll give it a go though. I can't blame iesposta, because he uses multiple systems and genesis controllers with the same result, however on my 4 switch wood grain with true 2nd model 3 button Sega Genesis controller I can get it go no prob.

But if this will make ALL genesis controller work then I'll make the change. Funny how one tiny little bit can throw off an entire controller. Shows you how sensitive the timing is on these things. I'll probably make this change tonight and report back.

Sorry I haven't been around. When I don't get any emails saying that someone's replied to me, I tend not to check up on the forum.

• Like 1

Bug reporting:

*I got stuck in the ceiling, see the picture attached.

I only could jump to the top of the screen and I couldn't go left or right and then the time ran out.

post-29575-0-27258400-1350771299_thumb.jpg

*When you jump on the sproing, the sound should stop.

*<Solved>The C button does not work on my six button original Genesis controller, but I think that it is detected because pressing up doesn't fire and pressing C doesn't fire (and it does work on games hacked to use the 2 button Genesis controller). What Kevin said about it being always pressed, maybe you need code to unpress it after it is detected?

Just a thought: I may have gotten stuck in the playfield because I was playing with a Genesis Joypad and it was reading the C button as "held down"? Any other reports of this happening before? I'll let you know if it happens again playing my "fixed" binary.

Wow, how did you get stuck up there? I purposely changed the collision routines in the x-4 worlds because you can't bash bricks, and because of that it was having issues with some wall detections. I changed it up and never got stuck myself. It could have been an issue with the genny controller. Hopefully that bit fix I'll apply will fix everything.

This is so bizarre because the genesis controller works fine on my real Atari 2600 without this modification. I'll give it a go though. I can't blame iesposta, because he uses multiple systems and genesis controllers with the same result, however on my 4 switch wood grain with true 2nd model 3 button Sega Genesis controller I can get it go no prob.

That's exactly what I was using when I made this video as "proof" that the Genny controller worked, but other users swore it didn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm_cpH806Ss

Spry, I was just about to PM you with this latest bugfix, as you hadn't replied and I was concerned that you seemed to have dropped off the forums for a while. When do you think Princess Rescue will be totally finished? I already got my shiny new Pacman 4k and Chetiry (Tetris clone) carts from the store, but I'm still seriously craving some Mario. It's just a shame Chetiry doesn't support counter clockwise rotations with a Genny pad, LOL!

Sorry I haven't been around. When I don't get any emails saying that someone's replied to me, I tend not to check up on the forum.

For some odd reason, I was subscribed and recieving updates on both Princess Rescue threads, but I got no email tonight when you replied. I looked up and somehow my "subscribed" status had been turned off. And on a couple of other threads, I've had to hit "subscribe" several times. Maybe a site bug? Edited by stardust4ever

Three button controllers are different from six button controllers. Three button controllers can be switched at any time, any number of times, and return proper data. Six button controllers CANNOT be switched more often than once (one packet - four pulses) per vertical blank. They use the extra time between packets to reset for the next packet. Valid SEGA Genesis games read the controllers during the vertical blank, so that's never been a problem. When using these controllers on other platforms, that is when you need to be a bit more careful.

• Like 1

Three button controllers are different from six button controllers. Three button controllers can be switched at any time, any number of times, and return proper data. Six button controllers CANNOT be switched more often than once (one packet - four pulses) per vertical blank. They use the extra time between packets to reset for the next packet. Valid SEGA Genesis games read the controllers during the vertical blank, so that's never been a problem. When using these controllers on other platforms, that is when you need to be a bit more careful.

Yes, and there are actually a small few early Sega Genesis games that don't use standard read routines for the controllers, and these 6-button controllers malfunction or behave erratically with these select games. Sega included a "mode" button on the 6-button controllers to maintain backwards compatibility with these few games as well as SMS, but I have no idea how the "mode" button works and I don't think most other gamers do either. On my RetroUSB Genesis adapter, the "mode" button maps on the Windows control panel just like an extra action button. Nearly all third party Genesis controllers are of the 6-button variety, and clone systems have problems with some games as a result. I do have a three button and a six button Genesis controller; the six button I bought as a spare controller for 2-player games. I'm not really a fan of the fighting/beat-em-up genres, and most of the games that specifically require the 6-button controllers are fighting games. I like the larger roundier buttons on the 3-button controllers, so they suit me just fine as an Atari gamepad. Edited by stardust4ever

Not a worry here. On the 2600 the Genesis "select" line is connected to the +5v pin. On an unmodified genesis pad, we can't switch even once, which is why only 2 buttons are available.

This is good info to have. This even explains probably why my six button controllers didn't work with it...at all...not even the d-pad. I guess it depends on what model of 6 button you have. I'll be sure to make some notes of this in the instruction manual on the compatibility of level of Sega Genesis controllers. Besides a few small bugs to fix, the manual is the last thing I need to make. I already made the box and cart labels, check it out!

post-33183-0-74446300-1351854547_thumb.jpg

post-33183-0-65934600-1351854575_thumb.jpg

post-33183-0-66402800-1351854592_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Wow! That picture is so good in so many ways. It conveys an adventure with the "help" in the distance and the enemies coming toward you as well as the bricks in perspective hinting at scrolling. The prominent castle shown is what you see when you start the game. Then on the back you see an actual game screen instructions and controller options...

My only suggestion would be to say something like it's _fully playable_ with either a standard joystick or a gamepad.

Again, great job and I don't even think a contest would've come up with nicer work than this!

The label and box look great!

The only thing I would change about the box would be to remove the Atari fuji logo and "Atari Corp." info on the box. It seems to be taboo around here and probably safe to leave it off as you are already toeing the line with the suspiciously similar "Mario" expy and enemies. ;)

I personally like projects based on well-known IPs, but it is probably safe to not bring any extra attention that this cool game has already generated. The word "ATARI 2600" is okay since you are emulating the silver label design. 8)

Yeah, none of my other Homebrews have the official Atari logos on them. Atari might not like that. You could maybe keep the silver stripe and just say "for play on the 2600" like most unlicensed games back in the day did. I love the artwork, however. The 3D perspective is gold. It makes it look almost like 3D Land.

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

If you are holding the MODE button when the controller powers up, the microchip inside sets itself to 3 button mode. If you don't hold it, it comes up in 6 button mode, and the mode works like just another button.

If switching isn't an issue, the other I ran into with some third party 6 button pads was power draw. The Atari/CBM controller port has 5V on pin 7, while SEGA controllers expect it on pin 5. This is usually a potentiometer line on other systems. However, other systems often allow this line to be used as an output. Setting it as an output and setting it high is often enough to drive most controllers... but not all. Some draw too much power, so they need pin 7 run over to pin 5 to work. I normally connect a small pull-up resistor between pin 5 and 7 for that purpose. To properly switch the SEGA controller, you really need to swap pin 7 and pin 5. I've got a couple SEGA 6 button pads that I swapped those two on the pad PCB for use on Atari/CBM computers.

I like the idea of putting the game on two different carts(like Miner 2049er Volume 2).

But what about four or eight different Carts, one for every 2 or 1 world(s)? Also, I wouldn't mind using an Extra 2k RAM, but only for an one cart release(to keep costs down).

Would it be Possible to port Smb2 to the Atari 2600 Using the Venetian Blinds Technique, One Color Sprites, and 64k memory, 32k ram, and on 10 Different carts?

Yeah, none of my other Homebrews have the official Atari logos on them. Atari might not like that. You could maybe keep the silver stripe and just say "for play on the 2600" like most unlicensed games back in the day did. I love the artwork, however. The 3D perspective is gold. It makes it look almost like 3D Land.

Actually quite a bit of homebrews use the classic picture label, and there have been a few to use the silver label design verbatim such as "Climber 5" and "Space Treat Deluxe". However, yeah, I am thinking of getting rid of the LOGO on the box art. The cartridge and manual don't have that official 3 stripe logo.

• Like 1

I like the art a lot. It reminds me of typical unlicensed games of the past. The guy who kind of looks like Mario is great! It also looks like a VHS sleeve. Do you plan to sell it in a video case?

Nope, this is a throwback to when Atari released its games in the silver label, box, and manual era. This is pretty much how they looked when they came out from about '82 to '85. I chose Silver because SMB came out in '85. One more year and it would have been the '86-'90 red label style.

• Like 1

OMG i want this game!When do you think you publish the game?It's sure that i want a dedicated copy!Good job guys!

Very, VERY soon. I just finished the manual last night and the game itself is going through it's finally bug passes. I'll probably be done on my end this week and then it'll be off to Al and however long it takes AtariAge to officially put up on the site for sale.

• Like 1

I like the idea of putting the game on two different carts(like Miner 2049er Volume 2).

But what about four or eight different Carts, one for every 2 or 1 world(s)? Also, I wouldn't mind using an Extra 2k RAM, but only for an one cart release(to keep costs down).

Would it be Possible to port Smb2 to the Atari 2600 Using the Venetian Blinds Technique, One Color Sprites, and 64k memory, 32k ram, and on 10 Different carts?

If there is a sequel to this, I do plan on taking advantage of the Harmony board that the homebrew games are now made on. It sounds like I'd be able to do save states too. Could you imagine playing an Atari game that saved your progress? Please hurry Batari and clean up those bugs with DPC+!

• Like 1