IGNORED

SHIPPED: Atari 2600 Red Sea Crossing

Atari4You

I just hope you make everyone aware that the pre-ordering of the reproduction cartridge is actually ordering it and paying $60, and that you are asking for pre-orders of $35-$45 more to be paid later for a box which is not a reproduction box because as far as we know it did not come in a box, and a made up manual because no manual has been found and it may not have had a manual.

I want you to make as much money back as you can, but people saying I'd like a box and a manual is different than them saying I'll pay $35-$45 more for a box and manual.

So is there any rough estimate as to when the games will be mailed?

Roughly a month or so....as indicated on post #1. We will try to do our best....I am working with a group that has a lot of experience in this arena. People like CPUWIZ, Albert and Wonder007 can vouch for me......you will get a quality product which, when in your hands, I know you will enjoy. :)

BTW, 20 manuals/boxes and counting.

Edited by Atari4You

I just hope you make everyone aware that the pre-ordering of the reproduction cartridge is actually ordering it and paying $60, and that you are asking for pre-orders of $35-$45 more to be paid later for a box which is not a reproduction box because as far as we know it did not come in a box, and a made up manual because no manual has been found and it may not have had a manual.

I want you to make as much money back as you can, but people saying I'd like a box and a manual is different than them saying I'll pay $35-$45 more for a box and manual.

The plan is that if we get enough demand, I will come up with the way the box will come out. If people like the box, you will then have to pay for the preorder as we need to print the boxes and put them together. Then, I will give each person the option of first getting the cart and then get their manual/box later (separate shipping will apply) or wait for the manual/box and get eveything together at the same time (no extra postage would be charged)- the latter option will delay the delivery of the cart.

At the end of the day, acquiring the box/manual is solely the option of each person.....I just went with this because I received several PM's on people wanting to know if I could also make a manual/box for this.

• Like 1

Except that it's an unlicensed copy of an unreleased homebrew,...

That is actually not correct.

Unlicensed, yes. Homebrew, yes. Unreleased, NO!

Yes, while Red Sea Crossing could have been classified and considered to have been a home brew game in the historical sense of how it was put together by its' programmer, it certainly was NOT "unreleased". We already know of at least 2 people who back in 1983 sent in a check for $34.95 and thus purchased the cartridge. And if a game could have been purchased, no matter how limited that opportunity may have been (chase the chuckwagon, tooth protectors, video life, etc.) then it absolutely can NOT be classified as "unreleased". An "unreleased" game is an accurate description for a "prototype", not for a "grail".

That is actually not correct.

Unlicensed, yes. Homebrew, yes. Unreleased, NO!

Yes, while Red Sea Crossing could have been classified and considered to have been a home brew game in the historical sense of how it was put together by its' programmer, it certainly was NOT "unreleased". We already know of at least 2 people who back in 1983 sent in a check for $34.95 and thus purchased the cartridge. And if a game could have been purchased, no matter how limited that opportunity may have been (chase the chuckwagon, tooth protectors, video life, etc.) then it absolutely can NOT be classified as "unreleased". An "unreleased" game is an accurate description for a "prototype", not for a "grail".

Ok, I'll concede the point that it was released, but it doesn't change the fact that this is simply a copy of the original and that there is nothing to stop multiple people from releasing exactly the same thing in a bunch of different versions. That was my only point. This guy wanting to know how many will be produced seems to be asking for irrelevant information. It doesn't matter if 10 or 1000 of these are made since the idea is for everyone to get a chance to play it and the buyer has generously made that opportunity available very quickly after the purchase. The copies are unauthorized, so they aren't going to be more or less valuable than any other copies out there long term unless the author dumps some more originals on the market or authorizes a release, signs and numbers copies, etc...in which case I think those particular versions would be in higher demand and possibly of higher resale value.

Edited by bojay1997

Just curious here....Is this game really considered to be a "homebrew" from 1983, or is it actually a third party release??? I understand that it was produced by a garage based type of company, but wasn't Air Raid (Men-a-vision) the same kind of thing?

Just curious here....Is this game really considered to be a "homebrew" from 1983, or is it actually a third party release??? I understand that it was produced by a garage based type of company, but wasn't Air Raid (Men-a-vision) the same kind of thing?

Steve did everything on his own other than produce the carts. That said I would say third party release but I would say the same thing about modern homebrews.

I would say that since it was advertised, it should go under the third-party category. Have there been any homebrews in the last 15 years that have been advertised?

Edited by rolenta

I would say that since it was advertised, it should go under the third-party category. Have there been any homebrews in the last 15 years that have been advertised?

Yes, it's called the internet. Most have been far more advertised than this homebrew. Nobody buys magazines anymore, so why bother?

Yes, it's called the internet. Most have been far more advertised than this homebrew. Nobody buys magazines anymore, so why bother?

So, how would you categorize RSC:

A.) homebrew

B.) third party release

C.) no difference between choice A.) & B.)

I was just curious as to which was the correct term. I have heard it stated both ways.

No. Menavision was a Taiwanese company. Most likely bitcorp/puzzy was behind them.

Rsc is an old era homebrew (like gamma attack) and is an official release. It differs from modern home-brews in value and collectibility the same way boulder dash will differ from the old era official releases